Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:35:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for the Perfect Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 2746 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:37:36 PM

My friends and I are going to start an exchange, most likely, here in the US.

We want it to be as legal and upfront and trustworthy as possible.

Can people post suggestions of what makes the perfect (realistic) exchange?
It would help if people can make suggestions here on this thread. Out tech man will be checking the thread on a regular basis, and will try to implement all possible and worthwhile suggestions.

We would like to make it a people's exchange, one that people can have confidence in.

What are the biggest problems people have currently with Mt Gox and Tradehill and Britcoin?
What improvements can be made to help them become better?

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:50:15 PM

While I encourage the idea of more exchanges (while they are necessary, but that is another topic), I'd reconsider starting one based in the U.S.A. I think all of us can agree that the large banks based in the US will be the first to push back on this idea once it gains enough traction. If you are in the bitcoin business, you better believe that all available pressure/tactics will be used to interfere.

I'd feel better if the principle servers and incorporation occurred outside immediate US jurisdiction. While no-one is perfectly isolated, it would provide some kind of buffer so you could react to legal/governmental demands.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:55:21 PM

While I encourage the idea of more exchanges (while they are necessary, but that is another topic), I'd reconsider starting one based in the U.S.A. I think all of us can agree that the large banks based in the US will be the first to push back on this idea once it gains enough traction. If you are in the bitcoin business, you better believe that all available pressure/tactics will be used to interfere.

I'd feel better if the principle servers and incorporation occurred outside immediate US jurisdiction. While no-one is perfectly isolated, it would provide some kind of buffer so you could react to legal/governmental demands.

We are waiting for some legal advice on that particular area of law, but it would appear to me, personally, with some study in law, but not a lawyer at all, I might add, that bitcoins are not actually currency and cannot be regulated as such. I think those fears may be unfounded at this point.

Bitcoins represent a value, but since that value cannot at any one time, be directly pegged to the dollar, it's questionable whether or not bitcoins are actually currency at all.

Our intent is to keep it simple. It will not become a currency exchange or used for any other purpose. Just for buying and selling bitcoins as fast as possible.

DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 06:59:19 PM

I don't think being in the US is a deal breaker if you are trying to create a completely legal exchange. The first step would be talking to a lawyer to find out what you need to make it legal. Keep in mind that this might entail only serving US customers and getting all their info, address, SSN, and the like. It will probably also require a veritable slew of permits and proof that you are complying to various regulations. But that is for the lawyer to sort out.

And whether or not it is a currency, you will be dealing a lot with currency and banks. Given that, you will still need to jump through all the currency related hoops.
fascistmuffin

Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:04:45 PM

The biggest problem with Mtgox was the security issues, due to CSRF attacks, which most likely occurred because the developer probably didn't have much experience with web security. You're going to need to keep on top of web security techniques and practices and be available to lock down the site if any exploits are found.

Also, if any personal information is needed, like SSN, Name, Address, etc. for legal reasons, your site will probably not kick off.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:08:26 PM

The biggest problem with Mtgox was the security issues, due to CSRF attacks, which most likely occurred because the developer probably didn't have much experience with web security. You're going to need to keep on top of web security techniques and practices and be available to lock down the site if any exploits are found.

Also, if any personal information is needed, like SSN, Name, Address, etc. for legal reasons, your site will probably not kick off.

One of the biggest hurdles I agree will be anonymity. I would like to set it up so that anonymous direct deposits could be made, like E-Gold did a while back.

Our biggest legal problems will arise if it's treated like a currency, but if it's not, then we may be able to do this with complete anonymity. We're looking into that today as I type this.

TKE406

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:14:15 PM

One thing I can suggest is that when buying/selling, take whatever number is put into the field.
What I mean is: for example, on MtGox, if you put up an offer to buy 1BTC @ $10... the website may automatically take as much as $11 from your wallet. In my case, a while a ago I wanted to buy at $19 per BTC, but for some reason, MtGox took $19.72 per bitcoin and I was like WTF!!

So there's an idea you could fix...
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:16:41 PM

One thing I can suggest is that when buying/selling, take whatever number is put into the field.
What I mean is: for example, on MtGox, if you put up an offer to buy 1BTC @ $10... the website may automatically take as much as $11 from your wallet. In my case, a while a ago I wanted to buy at $19 per BTC, but for some reason, MtGox took $19.72 per bitcoin and I was like WTF!!

Do you think maybe that includes their commission cut of .67% or so?
That could be it, right? Or no? I have yet to trade with them, myself. Too many problems so far.

RandyMarsh

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:20:00 PM

Do you think maybe that includes their commission cut of .67% or so?
That could be it, right? Or no? I have yet to trade with them, myself. Too many problems so far.

Im pretty sure thats just toe commission, although they really could be much more transparent about it, i had to go to the bitcoin wiki to find out what the commission was on mt.gox, it doesnt even seem to be on the site anywhere.

Stan?! STAN?!?!
joan

Merit: 1

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:44:07 PM

Center it on security and transparency of your operations would be my advice.

For example, you could make it that for a given account, only the address that sent coins in is allowed to retrieve coins out.
This would mitigate the issues where an attacker steal the password and transfer the funds to his own address in a snap.

For example this address could be entered at account creation. To add a new address, one would have to first send a small fee from the original address used to register the account.
(Ok, this means the user should really secure this one address)

Transparency of your own operations is also very critical.
Publish schematics of the architecture so people understand it and trust it.
Have a log of current problems and what actions are currently taken to address them.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:49:25 PM

Center it on security and transparency of your operations would be my advice.

For example, you could make it that for a given account, only the address that sent coins in is allowed to retrieve coins out.
This would mitigate the issues where an attacker steal the password and transfer the funds to his own address in a snap.

For example this address could be entered at account creation. To add a new address, one would have to first send a small fee from the original address used to register the account.
(Ok, this means the user should really secure this one address)

Transparency of your own operations is also very critical.
Publish schematics of the architecture so people understand it and trust it.
Have a log of current problems and what actions are currently taken to address them.

These are great suggestions!
Thanks Joan

optionstalker

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:03:12 PM

Our biggest legal problems will arise if it's treated like a currency, but if it's not, then we may be able to do this with complete anonymity. We're looking into that today as I type this.

Even without treating BTC like a currency, the U.S. could consider BTC exchanges like prediction markets, already illegal here. You should check with your legal counsel about that.
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:05:38 PM

I would like to see the charts and tickers that are often supplied by third-parties fully integrated into the trading site.

http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/time-sales/
http://mtgoxlive.com/orders
http://www.livebitcointicker.com/
http://www.bitcoincharts.com/

These sites are extremely helpful, but it's nice to have all that information at hand on the site. Still make sure to publish some type of API or web-socket so others can make use of it and personalize it to their own needs, but please do provide at least a minimum set of features, especially live stats.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:11:07 PM

Make it possible to only put BUY/SELL orders that are 2% higher or lower than the last 24 hours average price.

If the "price" of a free market is wrong, it will correct itself quite easily (for example if it should be 21$ instead of 20$, and the last 24 hours average price is 20$, then you can put orders of up to 20.4$, once those sell, the average will shift up to 20.4$, slowly allowing for higher bids, for example if everyone puts 20.4 then in 12 hours you should have an average of 20.2, thus be able to put a 20.6 bid). You will offer greater stability and trust to your customers. You will also lag behind other markets, and have people oscillate between yours and other markets due to arbitrage possibilities.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 08:30:48 PM

Can people post suggestions of what makes the perfect (realistic) exchange?  

I think those are contradictory goals. I'm tired of companies telling me they'll keep my data private and then complying with the demands of strangers (strangers to me at least) at the drop of a hat. Or imposing their interpretation of some else's rules on me.

I think an exchange that lets people make offers that are available to everyone on their trust list and acts as a record keeper (maybe bitcoin escrow too) but has people settle dollars on their own would be good. I imagine you could make dollar debts transfer able with consent by all three parties so that they could net out and reduce the 'outside' transfers required. Build in all the PGP stuff and use the data from OTC to bootstrap.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:34:29 PM

My friends and I are going to start an exchange, most likely, here in the US.

My highlights. Not wanting to disappoint you, but I really don't think you can combine these two things. Either you do it out of US, or you do it knowing it won't remain legal for a long time.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 08:50:45 PM

Make it possible to only put BUY/SELL orders that are 2% higher or lower than the last 24 hours average price.

If the "price" of a free market is wrong, it will correct itself quite easily (for example if it should be 21$ instead of 20$, and the last 24 hours average price is 20$, then you can put orders of up to 20.4$, once those sell, the average will shift up to 20.4$, slowly allowing for higher bids, for example if everyone puts 20.4 then in 12 hours you should have an average of 20.2, thus be able to put a 20.6 bid). You will offer greater stability and trust to your customers. You will also lag behind other markets, and have people oscillate between yours and other markets due to arbitrage possibilities.

This would be awful.

If there is even one unrestricted market and the price moves down by 10% then your site will have 0 buyers, they will all be buying at a 10% discount elsewhere. Likewise on moves up.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:01:38 PM

for me, a zero fee mtgox would be perfect Smiley

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:19:57 PM

This would be awful.

If there is even one unrestricted market and the price moves down by 10% then your site will have 0 buyers, they will all be buying at a 10% discount elsewhere. Likewise on moves up.
Are you sure about that? Did you consider both parts of a market, eg. the sellers and the buyers?
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 09:24:23 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18422.msg232881#msg232881

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: