Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:11:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Question: How to start? [Linux, Nvidia Titan Xp]  (Read 820 times)
Tschurtsch (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 01:31:06 PM

Hi everyone,

for work I use a Titan X running in a Ubuntu machine. As I have spare GPU hours I thought I might use them for mining. So far I have gathered some information within this forum, but am unsure where to start. Maybe you can answer those questions:

1) What cloud mining service should I use?
I tried nicehash and minergate as recommended in some beginner thread. Nicehash is quite clear, I especially liked the calculator page.

2) What algorithms are suited for Nvidia GPU cards?
After benchmarking different algorithms, the Calculator at nicehash recommended Nist5. From what I read, some algos are really not suited for Nvidia cards...

3) What coins should be mined with the Titan Xp?
Nicehash is rewarding BTC. However I'm not sure if one would earn more if mining other coins (ZCash, Monero) and then possibly convert them to BTC.

4) What software to use with Ubuntu+Nvidia?
Currently using ccminer, is there an alternative with integrated switcher for profit maximization? Btw, I tested tpruvot and sp-hash, however did not get the second to work for all algorithms.
4b) How to set/tune parameters for my card?
With ccminer there are many options. It is hard to set/find optimal values for a newbie like me.

Maybe I confused some terms or did not express myself clearly - please correct me, I'm willing to learn. Wink

Thx for your replies!

PS: Second GPU is a GTX 780 Ti.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 02:34:38 PM

Don't invest in cloud mining , it will not turn you any profit you will be lucky to hit roi , if you want to invest then just directly buy the coins, for nVidia the best algo performing now is zcash for nVidia , you can use EWBF miner , i tried nicehash before it is made for traders to make profits from newbie miners who don't know how to operate a console miner and setup things , any other miner will turn you more profits than nicehash.

2016 GPU Miner
Tschurtsch (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 05:03:21 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2017, 08:29:10 AM by Tschurtsch

Don't invest in cloud mining , it will not turn you any profit you will be lucky to hit roi
I think in my case that's not true. Hardware is already available, as it is needed for work. Power consumption is 200W and I pay around 10c/h. So if I would run the GPU 24h that would amount to around 0,5$. A test during weekend showed nicecash rewarded me around 4,80$ a day. Not that this would make me a living, but it might be worth something in the future (e.g. on future acceptance of a BTC ETF).

if you want to invest then just directly buy the coins, for nVidia the best algo performing now is zcash for nVidia , you can use EWBF miner , i tried nicehash before it is made for traders to make profits from newbie miners who don't know how to operate a console miner and setup things , any other miner will turn you more profits than nicehash.
Thank you, I will look into that. Further comments on settings? I know how to operate a console miner, just don't know which settings to tweak.

Edit: Just wanted to share my hashrate of around 700 Sol/s (EWBF+zec.suprnova.cc).
hridoyb

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

Bitgesell (BGL) Decentralized Cryptocurrency!

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 07:36:31 AM

Hi everyone,

for work I use a Titan X running in a Ubuntu machine. As I have spare GPU hours I thought I might use them for mining. So far I have gathered some information within this forum, but am unsure where to start. Maybe you can answer those questions:

1) What cloud mining service should I use?
I tried nicehash and minergate as recommended in some beginner thread. Nicehash is quite clear, I especially liked the calculator page.

2) What algorithms are suited for Nvidia GPU cards?
After benchmarking different algorithms, the Calculator at nicehash recommended Nist5. From what I read, some algos are really not suited for Nvidia cards...

3) What coins should be mined with the Titan Xp?
Nicehash is rewarding BTC. However I'm not sure if one would earn more if mining other coins (ZCash, Monero) and then possibly convert them to BTC.

4) What software to use with Ubuntu+Nvidia?
Currently using ccminer, is there an alternative with integrated switcher for profit maximization? Btw, I tested tpruvot and sp-hash, however did not get the second to work for all algorithms.
4b) How to set/tune parameters for my card?
With ccminer there are many options. It is hard to set/find optimal values for a newbie like me.

Maybe I confused some terms or did not express myself clearly - please correct me, I'm willing to learn. Wink

Thx for your replies!

PS: Second GPU is a GTX 780 Ti.
thanx for giving ur valuable information. I am serching for this solution.. finally got it

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
        ██████████████▄▄▄
       ▐███████████████████▀
       ████████████████▀▀
                    ▀
                            ▄▄
      ███████████       ▄▄████
     ▐██████████▌      ███████
     ███████████      ███████▀
    ▐██████▌         ███████▀
    ███████       ▄▄███████▀
   ▐██████████████████████▀
  ▄█████████████████████▀
▄██████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████
█████▀               ██████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
██████▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
Tschurtsch (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 08:27:25 AM

thanx for giving ur valuable information. I am serching for this solution.. finally got it
Glad you find it helps. However, this is not a Q/A but questioning only with the infos I had already collected.  Wink
PhysoCrypto

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:53:34 AM

Hey Tschurtsch...
I'm going to be setting up several of these Titan Xp cards in the near future.  I've got the same questions.
Fortunately, I've got a programming background and have done a little research on running these with ccminer EWBG etc.

I'll post more info on that when I get them setup.  Let me know if you have found anythings else too...if you would.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: