Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:10:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Garage / Residential Data Center Mining Cave Planning - Garage Grotto Part 1 :D  (Read 6924 times)
Samos95

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 02:53:40 PM

Which one exactly? ^

Guys what fans should I be using? Simply slap a large (but how large?) intake fan on the right side then blow through and a large (is 3000 CFM the right size?) exhaust fan on the left. Is it this simple?

Oh, now I look stupid. The PDUMV30HV. I chose this over one of the smaller cheaper options because my setup specifically needed two separate monitored circuits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of my rack. For a small room as long as you're going with a limited number of power supplies one of the smaller PDUs should work just fine.
Do you have an photos of your build? Definitely a visual man xD

It's not the cleanest and I don't have any pictures of the PDU up close, and this garage is 30 minutes away so I can't get any of it right this second. But you can see it hanging on the side of the rack to the left and the L6-30P plug on the wall behind the rack. Top rack is mine, 16x 1070s. Bottom half is a friends 12x 1070s and 4x 470s. Running in a 3rd friends garage, which is why we needed a metered PDU, split to monitor my half/friends half. (not pictured, 3rd friends small setup of 470s).

https://i.imgur.com/SNgjEUm.jpg
jMEGA

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 04:33:50 PM

Shed is a great idea. With 3000cfm fan pulling from inside your house your home A/C would never keep up anyway and would run constantly, taking all your mining rewards. The size(mining are) isnt that important...getting the heat out quickly is. I hope to have my shed delivered in the next two weeks. I still have to get underground power over there but shouldnt be much of an issue. Im going with a 36" 5000cfm fan. I will be getting a 12x26 shed and dividing it off only to use a smaller portion for my mining room( approx 10x12 area). The rest will be storage. If you havent got yours situated by then maybe i will have more advice at that time. I think the shed is the proper way to go.

Definitely keep me posted, even just update your journey in this thread if you'd like!

Why did you choose a 5000cfm fan?

for 20-30 rigs with 6x cards each in a 12x12 how much fan am I going to need?

What's the best setup for the fan? blow through intake on right exhaust on left side, or intake vents on both left and right with 2 big attic exhaust fans in the middle? Just want to build the most efficient setup possible you know?

You will have to determine the total cubic feet of the space your trying to cool. So if your space is 10x12x8 = 960 cubic feet
If you get a 3000 CFM (cubic feet per minute) fan, it will take about 20 sec to displace that space with "new air".
You will also need to consider intake and exhaust, make sure you have adequate airflow.

You ever have a 18" box fan and cover the back of it with something? It kills the air flow. Samething could happen with your setup.
eth4lyfe

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2017, 06:14:11 PM

Which one exactly? ^

Guys what fans should I be using? Simply slap a large (but how large?) intake fan on the right side then blow through and a large (is 3000 CFM the right size?) exhaust fan on the left. Is it this simple?

Oh, now I look stupid. The PDUMV30HV. I chose this over one of the smaller cheaper options because my setup specifically needed two separate monitored circuits, one for the top half and one for the bottom half of my rack. For a small room as long as you're going with a limited number of power supplies one of the smaller PDUs should work just fine.

It's not the cleanest and I don't have any pictures of the PDU up close, and this garage is 30 minutes away so I can't get any of it right this second. But you can see it hanging on the side of the rack to the left and the L6-30P plug on the wall behind the rack. Top rack is mine, 16x 1070s. Bottom half is a friends 12x 1070s and 4x 470s. Running in a 3rd friends garage, which is why we needed a metered PDU, split to monitor my half/friends half. (not pictured, 3rd friends small setup of 470s).

Have you noticed an improvement in cooling by hanging them vertically like that? This is my setup, yours looks cleaner though https://i.redd.it/kl8ixkuks0uy.jpg

You should trim the ends of your zip ties! lol
Samos95

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 10:54:14 PM

Which one exactly? ^

Have you noticed an improvement in cooling by hanging them vertically like that? This is my setup, yours looks cleaner though https://i.redd.it/kl8ixkuks0uy.jpg

You should trim the ends of your zip ties! lol

I haven't really noticed an improvement no. The room still heats up like crazy regardless of orienation. For blower fans it helps keep the heat in an upward direction but there comes a point where it just doesn't matter.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to trim those things I wouldn't need to be mining at all.
VoskCoin (OP)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2017, 11:01:19 PM

Shed is a great idea. With 3000cfm fan pulling from inside your house your home A/C would never keep up anyway and would run constantly, taking all your mining rewards. The size(mining are) isnt that important...getting the heat out quickly is. I hope to have my shed delivered in the next two weeks. I still have to get underground power over there but shouldnt be much of an issue. Im going with a 36" 5000cfm fan. I will be getting a 12x26 shed and dividing it off only to use a smaller portion for my mining room( approx 10x12 area). The rest will be storage. If you havent got yours situated by then maybe i will have more advice at that time. I think the shed is the proper way to go.

Definitely keep me posted, even just update your journey in this thread if you'd like!

Why did you choose a 5000cfm fan?

for 20-30 rigs with 6x cards each in a 12x12 how much fan am I going to need?

What's the best setup for the fan? blow through intake on right exhaust on left side, or intake vents on both left and right with 2 big attic exhaust fans in the middle? Just want to build the most efficient setup possible you know?

You will have to determine the total cubic feet of the space your trying to cool. So if your space is 10x12x8 = 960 cubic feet
If you get a 3000 CFM (cubic feet per minute) fan, it will take about 20 sec to displace that space with "new air".
You will also need to consider intake and exhaust, make sure you have adequate airflow.

You ever have a 18" box fan and cover the back of it with something? It kills the air flow. Samething could happen with your setup.

Planning on 12x12

Ultimately what's the best plan for cooling two 1500-2000 cfm fans mounted on one side? on the ceiling? one on side one on the ceiling? Also how much sq ft in vent would I need to keep proper airflow? Sorry for all the questions this is just out of my realm!

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 12:09:50 PM

I want to run at least 2 fans in case one fails, so I can limp along with only 1.

Thoughts on this fan?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1500-CFM-Power-Roof-Mount-Attic-Fan-in-Shingle-Match-Weatherwood-ERV6SMWW/205924959

Too big?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Professional-3013-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-AFG-PRO-3-0/206047381?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202913826-_-206047381-_-N

thoughts on fans on the wall vs the roof?

If I go with roof mount, so I simply run intake vents along the entire bottom of the structure?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 01:28:41 PM

I want to run at least 2 fans in case one fails, so I can limp along with only 1.

Thoughts on this fan?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1500-CFM-Power-Roof-Mount-Attic-Fan-in-Shingle-Match-Weatherwood-ERV6SMWW/205924959

Too big?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietCool-Professional-3013-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-AFG-PRO-3-0/206047381?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202913826-_-206047381-_-N

thoughts on fans on the wall vs the roof?

If I go with roof mount, so I simply run intake vents along the entire bottom of the structure?

I use this

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/roofing-soffits-gutters/power-vents/canarm-12-3-speed-xfs-series-exhaust-shutter-fan/p-1444426155930.htm

with this hood

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/roofing-soffits-gutters/power-vents/canarm-xf-series-knock-down-hood-for-xfs12-r-16-r/p-1444426163562.htm

my setup is at (or what is left at home..rest is at data hall)

lostgonzo.imgur.com

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
m0bilitee

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:16:04 PM

How much does it cost to run these large exhaust fans?  What's their typical draw?

I'm a hobby miner with a hot room, so I'm curious what added cost these things have, compared to running a box fan or playing with higher AC use in my house.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:44:00 PM

How much does it cost to run these large exhaust fans?  What's their typical draw?

I'm a hobby miner with a hot room, so I'm curious what added cost these things have, compared to running a box fan or playing with higher AC use in my house.

If I remember right at 10c kWh it was less then $10 bucks a month.  Did not matter
in my case I had to move some air. Again, this was no thermostat, just 24/7 one month.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 09:26:47 PM

What does that keep your basement temp at?
would the 16" fan be better suited for my setup?

Do you think that it's more effective to run them side mount or to run attic roof mount style fans?

mcturkey

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 09:32:13 PM

I'm running one of these in my garage.  It's loud, and pulls ~ 500W by itself, according to the label on it, but it moves the air through the exhaust hose very quickly.  I also have one of these pushing air over the equipment, with everything enclosed.  This allows the ~30 cu ft of air that the miners occupy to be completely refreshed every few seconds.  It's way cheaper to move a lot of air than it is to cool the air, so AC is a total waste of money and energy for this kind of thing.
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 09:37:33 PM

I'm running one of these in my garage.  It's loud, and pulls ~ 500W by itself, according to the label on it, but it moves the air through the exhaust hose very quickly.  I also have one of these pushing air over the equipment, with everything enclosed.  This allows the ~30 cu ft of air that the miners occupy to be completely refreshed every few seconds.  It's way cheaper to move a lot of air than it is to cool the air, so AC is a total waste of money and energy for this kind of thing.
Do you have a picture / what does your mining gear consist of?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:13:02 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2017, 11:33:40 PM by Searing

What does that keep your basement temp at?
would the 16" fan be better suited for my setup?

Do you think that it's more effective to run them side mount or to run attic roof mount style fans?

Not sure about roof..me I'm in a basement

lostgonzo.imgur.com

Not sure a 16" fan would fit

the one I use again (shutter fan) in basement window is (above pics)

it is a a Canarm xsf 12 80 watt 120 volt 0.8 amp

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/roofing-soffits-gutters/power-vents/canarm-12-3-speed-xfs-series-exhaust-shutter-fan/p-1444426155930.htm

I also forgot to mention I have hanging on bracket equiv pusher fans on the other side of the basement to push air thru to the shutter fan.

This one is 120 watts and 120 volts 18" hanging bracket fan

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fans/commercial-fans/xtreme-garage-18-weather-rated-wall-or-ceiling-mount-fan/p-1444450409162-c-12728.htm?tid=-2180365848878263561

raise my hand up and there is a wind Smiley How I get the heat out

temp wise..well ....no choice really ...have to move AIR temp does not matter much ..I suppose 8 degree F maybe

Had equiv of 5 Titans running in the basement last summer. IT mostly stayed below 80F ...... a few days it hit 85F ..I think 1 day I shut the miners off due to heat

but me...I need the air flow .....again I suppose 16" is better if you don't care about noise

also I do not have thermostat on shutter fan because the louver's when fan off doesn't shut sometimes...i could have maybe put a weight ot something tricky
to get them to do so...but wtf it is summer ....and again at less the 10 bucks (1 fan) 24/7 I just let them run that's per fan per month...i had with 1 shutter fan
2 pusher fans....a rare day when all 3 were full out.but when I had to do so ...was nice they were all available

the pusher fans I used (bracket in front of other side of basement window hanging) pics are on my above link if you need such

anyway it all works well...only 2 titans down there now...soon all will be at data hall and the 75w 300mh baikal cube will hardly need the airflow Smiley

Again all this stuff is at Menard's hardware store....

www.menards.com

anyway good luck .it is all about moving air

TeamGreen

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 12:07:32 AM

I have 9 rigs (6x 1070s ea.) going now in an apartment with a 200A panel.  Dealing with the heat was definitely a process.  I upgraded the fans you see in the video to 3x 6200CFM (they are 3-speed and we have only needed 4000 CFM for now up to 88 degrees ambient outside temp).  I have two pushing air out the big window which creates negative pressure and pulls in a ton of air from the side window.  The third one is on standby for now and interestingly the temp actually goes up if I set the 3rd one up to pull air in the side window.  Temp inside usually stays within 7 degrees of ambient outside temp with 2x fans exhausting heat out the big window at 4000CFM per fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 12:40:56 AM

I'm intrigued by that blower/hose combo. How well does it work if you have a wider area of hot air from multiple rigs? Does the hose constrict the air movement? I like the idea of something that can be moved around if it needs to, but is more powerful and longer lasting then a box fan.
m0bilitee

Activity: 49

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 08:26:03 PM

I have 9 rigs (6x 1070s ea.) going now in an apartment with a 200A panel.  Dealing with the heat was definitely a process.  I upgraded the fans you see in the video to 3x 6200CFM (they are 3-speed and we have only needed 4000 CFM for now up to 88 degrees ambient outside temp).  I have two pushing air out the big window which creates negative pressure and pulls in a ton of air from the side window.  The third one is on standby for now and interestingly the temp actually goes up if I set the 3rd one up to pull air in the side window.  Temp inside usually stays within 7 degrees of ambient outside temp with 2x fans exhausting heat out the big window at 4000CFM per fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns

Great video.  Nice rigs, too. Those are clean and sharp. 
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2017, 09:05:55 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2017, 09:16:57 PM by VoskCoin

What 240v power cable can I swap onto https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182320
(typical atx psu)

/ where can I find them -- these atx psu will auto adjust with upgraded input and run more efficiently powering my miners, correct?

Running the flat blade power cable  on 250v to atx psu rated 120-240v --- is this correct or a big mistake O_o

Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 12:59:45 AM

What 240v power cable can I swap onto https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817182320
(typical atx psu)

/ where can I find them -- these atx psu will auto adjust with upgraded input and run more efficiently powering my miners, correct?

Running the flat blade power cable  on 250v to atx psu rated 120-240v --- is this correct or a big mistake O_o

What kind of 250v outlet do you have? are you connecting to a PDU or right to a wall outlet? You can definitely plug any decent quality PSU into a 250v outlet but there are different kinds of cords depending on the specific setup.
VoskCoin (OP)

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2017, 01:58:22 AM

(typical atx psu)

What kind of 250v outlet do you have? are you connecting to a PDU or right to a wall outlet? You can definitely plug any decent quality PSU into a 250v outlet but there are different kinds of cords depending on the specific setup.
Is there any real benefit to the PDU? with the setup I'm looking at making I don't see the purpose of a PDU as I can add more outlets at a lower expense than PDU, I don't have them yet but I'll need to have them installed this month, so i'm open to suggestions / best ideas from you all

Billz007

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:37:28 AM

A PDU will allow you to plug multiple rigs into an outlet.  If you have an L6-30 type outlet, look at the APC AP9571.  These can be had for a great price on eBay.  I ordered 2 of them from eBay a couple weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=APC+AP9571&_sop=15

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: