Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:51:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3x7950 temp problems  (Read 1328 times)
Kinetic915 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:18:20 PM

Hello all,

I have 3 7950s hashing around 600 each, the temps between each vary alot however.  All 3 are on 1 foot riser cables above my motherboard, I consistently have a temp issue with the first card, while the other two are perfect.  I have fans on the 1st and 2nd cards, the third needs no fan.

here is a link to the temps:
http://postimg.org/image/r6mktj35z/

I even tried moving the first gpu off to the side which didn't help the temps either,  Is this because the system is using the 1st one more intensely then the others?

Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

I even tried moving the first gpu off to the side which didn't help the temps either,  Is this because the system is using the 1st one more intensely then the others?

not an expert here.. but based on my experience.. i would say yes...

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:08:04 PM

Might try taking the heatsink off, and repasting the GPU.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Kinetic915 (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:28:55 AM

#crazyates I might just RMA to newegg before its too late!

heres a picture of my rig:
the red arrows represent air.  Do I have the gpu order correct?  The hottest GPU is #1, being the one on the far left?  Each card is placed in each consecutive pci-e slot.

http://postimg.org/image/z2dajhx61/

Thanks!

MinerLT

Activity: 194

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:23:35 PM

same problem here, first gpu is alot hotter than others...

Success doesn't come to you…you go to it

crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:40:11 AM

if your using this computer to browse web then yes it uses the first gpu harder...if its a dedicated miner then no all temps should be around the same

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:43:40 AM

temp sensors are NOT accurate. They are cheap ball-park values, at best.

Chances are... you have reached a limit of a voltage regulator, or the heat has destroyed a seemingly useless "sensor" from being displayed correctly, or you just have an actual "hot" chip.

Measure the actual temps with an IR temp device. (You can return it when you are done.) They are like $20-30 at tiger-direct or walmart or home depot.

Best solution for reduced temps is to lower your voltage (which will also require a slight clock lowering if you are at an upper-limit for clocks.) That will give you greater cooling than clock adjustments, thus keeping most of your speed and lowering power consumption and heat. (If you know a safe-range of clocks, you can put that range in cgminer, and it will auto-adjust to keep a target temp.)
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:44:53 AM

Anything under or around 90c is fine, its a GPU not a CPU do some research...
ewitte

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:30:57 PM

When I had the 7950's in the same box the top one would hit 98C and throttle with max fan.  Alone in a system it runs 80-85C at 55% fan.  I'm about to put them in an open system with powered risers so they are not so close.

Donations
BTC - 13Lgy6fb4d3nSYEf2nkgBgyBkkhPw8zkPd
LTC - LegzRwyc2Xhu8cqvaW2jwRrqSnhyaYU6gZ
rob1313

Activity: 162

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:21:35 AM

Hello all,

I have 3 7950s hashing around 600 each, the temps between each vary alot however.  All 3 are on 1 foot riser cables above my motherboard, I consistently have a temp issue with the first card, while the other two are perfect.  I have fans on the 1st and 2nd cards, the third needs no fan.

I even tried moving the first gpu off to the side which didn't help the temps either,  Is this because the system is using the 1st one more intensely then the others?

Any help appreciated!  Thanks!

i have the exact same problem. i have 2 setup's that are exactly the same but 2 has more space between cards then one. it has longer 16x cables so i could move 1 card farther to the side. both a 4 x 7950 box 1 run at 64c Max and box 2 runs at 75c on 1 card all others are 65c and under. i have this card with a 200 mm fan pulling the air off the top so heat dont transfer from card to card and i have a 120mm fan pushing air in from the front of my milk crate so the hot card has fresh air and then i used msi power tune at -2 to keep the card at 75c. but it kill my hash rate on all cards by 70 mh/s any suggestions as to what i should do? all cards have 2 in space between then and there are no cables obstruction air flow. I also had to stick 68 ohm resistors in the card to get it to recognize the card fully power otherwise they would only mine a half speed.

tip if i help you. doge: D7zzbMR9mxmtDQWWNfrRGY5fFNUnrwexSQ or BTC: 1Fot8CrsuxcZUw6qYX3sVpNo5MDtaf7ZS2
leave rep here for any transaction. 
BTC mining contracts for only 0.0058 BTC / GHs
rob1313

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:22:11 AM

Hello all,

I have 3 7950s hashing around 600 each, the temps between each vary alot however.  All 3 are on 1 foot riser cables above my motherboard, I consistently have a temp issue with the first card, while the other two are perfect.  I have fans on the 1st and 2nd cards, the third needs no fan.

Why do you have 2 cards briged?

tip if i help you. doge: D7zzbMR9mxmtDQWWNfrRGY5fFNUnrwexSQ or BTC: 1Fot8CrsuxcZUw6qYX3sVpNo5MDtaf7ZS2
roflplatypus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:42:21 AM

yeah, gpu's can go a lot higher than cpus. my cpu hits about 70c at max load, but the gpus go up to 95c before throttling. (all oc'd) basically, if it's stable, it's fine. enjoy your space heater.
rob1313

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:24:46 AM

yeah, gpu's can go a lot higher than cpus. my cpu hits about 70c at max load, but the gpus go up to 95c before throttling. (all oc'd) basically, if it's stable, it's fine. enjoy your space heater.
Ok will do I want the card to last 1 year then I don't care really.  Now the card is running

Intensity 4
Engine 950 memory 900
76-78c 44 mh/s
Power turn -1

I guess all I can do is play with it I want to see if it has bad thermal paste but it is a new card just came in mail today. And I don't want to void warrenty or any thing. D you think I would benefit from switching card to another spot and see if the heat follow the card vs spot plugged in?

Thanks for you help with this,

induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:45:13 PM

Hello
I have a similar problem, card 1 (where the monitor is) is about 15 degrees or more above the other two.

My solution (unpopular, i know) was to lower the clock to non-oc setting (850 Mhz) and leaving the other two cards at 925 or 950.
that way the hottest card is stable around 63 degrees
keep in mind that in LTC mining, the danger is the VRM temp, with 63 degrees on the GPU I have 79 Degrees on the VRM !! yikes!
(all degrees in C)
I know, I lost some hashing speed, but the card will live a lot longer Smiley

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
miningdude

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

Have a mining rig

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:18:40 PM

The volume of air getting pushed past the cards made a difference for me. I use a 20" high efficiency box fan. The other thing to check as was already mentioned, is your thermal paste on the heatsink. Not all cards are assembled equally, unfortunately.
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:46:23 PM

The volume of air getting pushed past the cards made a difference for me. I use a 20" high efficiency box fan. The other thing to check as was already mentioned, is your thermal paste on the heatsink. Not all cards are assembled equally, unfortunately.

What do you mean? that the factory thermal compound sometimes is bad?, damn!, but if I replace it, what about the warranty?.

I have tried with the antec bigboy 200mm fan, from bottom, top (pulling and extracting) side, front and back, no cigar... every attempt to cool these cards end up making it worse, more temperature, if not in the first in the next card, it seems to be disrupting the airflow somehow.
if you found a way, please post a photo, would be great Smiley

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: