Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:19:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building seamless polymer houses out of single mold? is it possable?  (Read 978 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:04:20 PM

Ok so this is as off topic as it gets but. What if you built an entire house out of 1 single seamless mold using super tough polymer and super thick walls. Granted it would be expensive but it would be a super house. You could even build it as a large sphere with half above ground and half under ground if you wanted super resiliance but probably a capsule shape or a blimp liek shape with a slight arc all the way along the length with half above ground and half under would be best for a family or what not. The strongest earthquake ever recorded wouldn't phase this thing and it could potentially last idk hundreds of years before getting worn out, some polymers are amazingly tough, like the stuff they make 55gallon drums out of, imagine if that was a foot thick. Hell it would practically already be a boat, attach a rudder and a sale. It would be COMPLETELY air tight, you could place it in the middle of the amazon jungle and not have a bug problem. I bet it would even be partially bullet proof.

so someone tell me why this isnt done please. Would it just cost like literally a million dollars to make a single house? To heavy to move to location? No one cares about passing a legacy on to their children and then grand children and great grand children ect?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
WilderedB

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:53:39 PM

Plastic is more expensive than you might think.

Yes, such a home would cost in the millions at first, but even if mass-produced it would still be an incredibly expensive method.

On the same vein, if we know so much about food, vitamins, antioxidants and all that stuff, how come no one company simply produces a superfood that is perfect for humans? We could eat nothing but that superfood for a month, getting super nutrition, losing fat etc. Heck, maybe eat nothing but that every other day? Then we'd never have cancer or pimples or anything...

Point is, if the market is there it can happen. If not, it won't.

I don't think there's a market for multi-million dollar plastic homes, when fiberglass yachts are already a thing - and they're mobile too.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 07:08:46 PM

No need for polymer, someone's already found out how to make some pretty fast concrete, much cheaper too.

http://concretecanvas.co.uk/
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:37:09 PM

More interesting to me is the idea of printing buildings. Imagine a really large 3D printer that you can set up and feed in the design files, and it will build it.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:40:19 PM

It'd prolly give you cancer... living inside of one...

bit777

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:42:46 PM

That printer would cost an incredible amount of money.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:00:17 PM

Hemp houses are more environment friendly, they have a negative carbon footprint and strengthen over time.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 10:04:44 PM

Maybe not. You could have a little one that just walks along the ground, printing as it goes, transitioning to walking on top of the walls once they're high enough.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:22:03 AM

Maybe not. You could have a little one that just walks along the ground, printing as it goes, transitioning to walking on top of the walls once they're high enough.
Ooh, nice catch.

If a 3Doodler only costs $75, imagine mounting a few hundred of them on little wheels to drive around behind each other in series according to a program. Since those things dry so fast, what shape couldn't you build this way?

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
algaidaman

Activity: 64

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:05:01 PM

More interesting to me is the idea of printing buildings. Imagine a really large 3D printer that you can set up and feed in the design files, and it will build it.
Imagine feeding this printer concrete and water etc., set a track for it to follow for the perimeter, and have it go to town.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 02:07:55 PM

Imagine feeding this printer concrete and water etc., set a track for it to follow for the perimeter, and have it go to town.
It could even work with local materials, making concrete out of local soil. (and by local, I mean what used to be where your basement/foundation is now)

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
algaidaman

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:23:50 PM

It could even work with local materials, making concrete out of local soil. (and by local, I mean what used to be where your basement/foundation is now)

True, or even adobe huts etc. could probably even program it to "print" pieces of straw/hay for roofing.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 02:26:25 PM

True, or even adobe huts etc. could probably even program it to "print" pieces of straw/hay for roofing.
I'd prefer clay tiles to thatching, myself. save the hay for the walls. Wink

algaidaman

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:33:14 PM

I'd prefer clay tiles to thatching, myself. save the hay for the walls. Wink

Interesting: http://qz.com/68780/architects-are-starting-to-3d-print-houses-but-without-a-house-sized-printer/

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 02:43:16 PM

Neat.

Now, imagine if that were a quadcopter....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: