Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:33:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are bitcoins anonymous?  (Read 2042 times)
jetto (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:22:45 PM

I've heard it said numerous times that bitcoins are anonymous. But how can that be the case if all transactions between every bitcoin address is public in the block chain? If for example I use BitInstant to buy bitcoins through a cash deposit—which requires using my name‚and have it sent to a specific bitcoin address, then couldn't BitInstant just save my bitcoin address to my name and be able to track exactly where those coins go forever using the block chain?

As long as you're buying bitcoins with dollars, I can't see how anyone could be sure they're completely anonymous.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:39:14 PM

I've heard it said numerous times that bitcoins are anonymous. But how can that be the case if all transactions between every bitcoin address is public in the block chain? If for example I use BitInstant to buy bitcoins through a cash deposit—which requires using my name‚and have it sent to a specific bitcoin address, then couldn't BitInstant just save my bitcoin address to my name and be able to track exactly where those coins go forever using the block chain?

As long as you're buying bitcoins with dollars, I can't see how anyone could be sure they're completely anonymous.

Upgrade your sources of information.  Nobody who understands how bitcoin works makes the claim that it's anonymous.  Pseudonymous, yes.

And, with difficulty and effort, they can be made reasonably anonymous - but never perfectly.  Your example is valid - and any time you link your name to a bitcoin transaction, that name and that wallet are pretty much linked forever:  so it follows that if you stay in bitcoin exclusively, never link a name, never buy anything in meatspace that requires a meatspace name and address to ship... etc., you'll be sufficiently anonymous for most practical purposes.  The are also coin mixers that will launder your existing coins, disassociating them from your current wallets.

Have fun with your research into this well-documented issue!

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:40:40 PM

If you can't decide for yourself if the way you are using Bitcoin is or is not anonymous I would strongly encourage you to assume that it is not.

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 07:41:35 PM

couldn't BitInstant just save my bitcoin address to my name and be able to track exactly where those coins go forever using the block chain

Just send your BTC to a new wallet and delete the one you used to buy bitcoins. Nobody will know, did you send your BTC to yourself or to somebody else.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:49:37 PM

couldn't BitInstant just save my bitcoin address to my name and be able to track exactly where those coins go forever using the block chain

Just send your BTC to a new wallet and delete the one you used to buy bitcoins. Nobody will know, did you send your BTC to yourself or to somebody else.

IP address will be the same. So don't forget to change it. And never use these coins with ur old IP.
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 08:00:35 PM

IP address will be the same. So don't forget to change it. And never use these coins with ur old IP.

Is IP address recorded in the blockchain?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:06:29 PM

No, but http://blockchain.info does it.
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

Shit. I did not know this.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:11:43 PM

Not true, it records the IP address of the node that relayed the transactions to them. Just don't connect to them and your fine.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:11:56 PM

Don't worry. If that was just once then u can say that u just relayed a transaction.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:14:19 PM

Not true, it records the IP address of the node that relayed the transactions to them. Just don't connect to them and your fine.

If u buy drugs and pay from "tied" addresses, and ur IP in most of this transactions then it will be quite hard to prove that it wasn't u.

EDIT: U can play with http://blockchain.info/ip-address/127.0.0.1
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:19:34 PM

If u buys drugs and pay from "tied" addresses, and ur IP in most of this transactions then it will be quite hard to prove that it wasn't u.

The blockchain itself holds no ip information, and if you don't connect to blockchain.info's node, how can they find your ip? They can't. Remember bitcoin's is anonymous if you make it anonymous Wink

Blockchain.Info is usually connected to 1000 nodes. What's its IP to avoid accidental connection?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:23:09 PM

If u buys drugs and pay from "tied" addresses, and ur IP in most of this transactions then it will be quite hard to prove that it wasn't u.

The blockchain itself holds no ip information, and if you don't connect to blockchain.info's node, how can they find your ip? They can't. Remember bitcoin's is anonymous if you make it anonymous Wink

Blockchain.Info is usually connected to 1000 nodes. What's its IP to avoid accidental connection?

I don't know, I use the -connect switch to connect to only nodes I trust. Also I use tor Wink
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 08:38:21 PM

Finally Gweedo and I agree on something. Please use tor.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:10:42 PM

OP, the simple answer is that bitcoin *addresses* are tracked, but there is nothing that associates your IRL identity with an address.  If you use an exchange that knows your IRL and cash out to an address, the police can ask the exchange and the exchange can say "we think this address probably belongs to him", but all you have to do then is send to one other address, and claim you bought something from somebody, and bam, no more link to you IRL.

If you REALLY want to be anonymous, you have to set up fake accounts on exchanges, and move money in and out of them to the point where the original paper trail is simply too long and too obscure to follow.

But you are absolutely correct that it is possible to follow every transaction, it's just difficult to link an IRL identity with an address, and since you can create as many addresses as you want on whim, and create fake transactions to yourself over and over again, it's possible to obscure your bitcoins to the point of anonymity.

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:59:18 PM

Just checked my last transaction cffb723e5dc2c0176d1deb0739b5126403c6d603d5456474450838c2884bb7f0 , and I do not see IP address where this transaction was made from.  The one on the "relayed by ip" line is not mine. Can you determine my IP using this info?

P.S. Anonymity is not a big deal for me, just curious if it is really true.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 10:06:37 PM

People who want Bitcoin to be anonymous can make it anonymous for themselves.

Same as with using cash for things you do not want people to know about instead of traceable purchases.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:11:36 AM

Just checked my last transaction cffb723e5dc2c0176d1deb0739b5126403c6d603d5456474450838c2884bb7f0 , and I do not see IP address where this transaction was made from.  The one on the "relayed by ip" line is not mine. Can you determine my IP using this info?

No, your address cannot be determined from blockchain.info.  At any point in time there might be 10,000 or more instances of bitcoin-qt or other full-node software running.  Blockchain.info is only connected to a small subset of these.  A transaction might get passed through many nodes before being "seen" by blockchain.info, so there is no way to know if the IP address stored on their site is the true originator of the transaction.

Having said that, I still think it is a very bad practice for blockchain.info to be recording IP addresses (with friends like that, who needs enemies?).  They should, at a minimum, publish a list of all listening addresses, and the client needs to have the option of rejecting a list of nodes.  In the absence of these measures, a good way to protect your anonymity and also help the network is to leave the client running all the time.  Soon there will be hundreds of transactions recorded on blockchain.info as having originated from your IP, when in fact none may have.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:19:00 AM

No, I can't determine. But govt agents have much more chances to track u down.
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:56:48 AM

No, I can't determine. But govt agents have much more chances to track u down.

Please, elaborate.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: