Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do my GPU drivers keep downgrading to 16.6?  (Read 663 times)
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 01:46:36 AM

While testing timings, clocks, and voltages, etc, my card inevitably runs into issues, and pretty much every time Windows decides to downgrade my AMD drivers 16.6. I always get worse hash rates with 16.6.

I understand that Windows wants to downgrade to the most recent WHQL drivers, but the drivers I had installed were also WHQL (16.10.1)!

This problem is super annoying because I end up having to use DDU to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall 16.10.1 again.

I'm contemplating moving to Linux.

Is there a way to change the Windows rollback drivers? Is there another workaround? Have other people noticed this problem?
pikachuy

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 02:31:31 AM

Easy solution, disable windows update.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 04:15:10 AM

follow this guide and disable windows automatic driver update :
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 06:08:04 AM

Thank you for your replies.

I have tried this solution, but it does not work for me. Plus, my options are a bit different than what is posted. I'm guessing the latest 'Win 10 Anniversary Update' has changed it.

Now it says "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices?"
Doesn't say anything about drivers, but I checked "No" regardless.
It still downgrades to 16.6.
alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 06:37:04 AM

I have tried this solution, but it does not work for me. Plus, my options are a bit different than what is posted. I'm guessing the latest 'Win 10 Anniversary Update' has changed it.

Now it says "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices?"

Run DDU (Safe Mode option... this does an initial reboot into safe mode) and  to uninstall the drivers, after uninstall is complete and computer reboots after uninstall, then install the drivers you want for windows 10.  This has always worked for me.
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:02:42 PM

Run DDU (Safe Mode option... this does an initial reboot into safe mode) and  to uninstall the drivers, after uninstall is complete and computer reboots after uninstall, then install the drivers you want for windows 10.  This has always worked for me.

This is always how I uninstall drivers. The new drivers get installed correctly. When I check, it will be 16.10.1. But if I overclock too much and the screen flashes for a second, when the screen comes back it almost always has reverted to 16.6. This isn't just on one PC either. This happens on 4 PCs.
alucard20724

Activity: 703
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:23:17 PM

This is always how I uninstall drivers. The new drivers get installed correctly. When I check, it will be 16.10.1. But if I overclock too much and the screen flashes for a second, when the screen comes back it almost always has reverted to 16.6. This isn't just on one PC either. This happens on 4 PCs.

Then it sounds like your overclock is to high creating a driver error and your system reverts to an earlier known good version of the driver. 
Ambros

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:24:09 PM

Windows 10 is definitely the best mining operating system, but you should tune a lot of configurations

Here there is a script that does most of them :
- https://mega.nz/#!8gZzjQaa!Dt4wE0WEo8nZkui_-cAAXL4mb4YlO6CJgFZTXKq9pnQ

source: http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 04:36:08 PM

Windows 10 is definitely the best mining operating system, but you should tune a lot of configurations

Here there is a script that does most of them :
- https://mega.nz/#!8gZzjQaa!Dt4wE0WEo8nZkui_-cAAXL4mb4YlO6CJgFZTXKq9pnQ

source: http://1stminingrig.com/best-windows-setup-configuration-tweaks-for-mining/

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home from work!
Rexxxem

Activity: 368

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:03:42 PM

Hey bud, I know how annoying that is. I had a similar issue accept it was slapping windows drivers on there instead.. kept doing it for no reason.. frustrating.
This was my solution:

*Edit: make sure you have the drivers you want installed before doing this*

1. Search for and open your "group policy settings"
2. On the left side, you will see "computer configuration" - click the arrow next to "administrative templates"
3. Click the arrow next to the folder named "system" and then the arrow next to "device installation". Now open the folder "device installation restrictions".
4. Double click the one that says " prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs".
5. Check "enabled" and then click the box that says "show".
6. Now open your device manager and get the hardware ids of the gpus you would like to restrict. Copy and paste them in the box that popped up when you clicked "show" in the previous step.
7. Click "ok" and then make sure you hit "apply" otherwise it wont save what you just pasted..

Make sure you're getting the right HW IDs otherwise it probably wont work.
This will prevent windows and you from changing drivers. If you want to upgrade/downgrade you will have to manually undo what you just did.

Like i said this worked for me. Hope it helps.. funny you have to edit group policy settings on your own computer, huh? Way to go, windows lol
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 06:36:35 PM

Hey bud, I know how annoying that is. I had a similar issue accept it was slapping windows drivers on there instead.. kept doing it for no reason.. frustrating.
This was my solution:

*Edit: make sure you have the drivers you want installed before doing this*

1. Search for and open your "group policy settings"
2. On the left side, you will see "computer configuration" - click the arrow next to "administrative templates"
3. Click the arrow next to the folder named "system" and then the arrow next to "device installation". Now open the folder "device installation restrictions".
4. Double click the one that says " prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs".
5. Check "enabled" and then click the box that says "show".
6. Now open your device manager and get the hardware ids of the gpus you would like to restrict. Copy and paste them in the box that popped up when you clicked "show" in the previous step.
7. Click "ok" and then make sure you hit "apply" otherwise it wont save what you just pasted..

Make sure you're getting the right HW IDs otherwise it probably wont work.
This will prevent windows and you from changing drivers. If you want to upgrade/downgrade you will have to manually undo what you just did.

Like i said this worked for me. Hope it helps.. funny you have to edit group policy settings on your own computer, huh? Way to go, windows lol

Awesome! Thanks so much.I recently read a blog post that describes these exact steps. It seems Windows doesn't allow you to do it via the steps described above anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: