Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:38:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buyouts and Mergers in Cryptocurrencies?  (Read 662 times)
woozyj (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 02:09:48 AM

Anyone heard of a Cryptocurrency buying out or merging with another? I am researching coins from 2013 and 2014 and many of them don't exist anymore. Wondering if they failed, or could they have been bought/merged. thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 02:52:31 AM

Cryptocurrencies are not like companies. A coin cannot be "bought out" or "merged" with another coin.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 03:05:34 AM

Cryptocurrencies are not like companies. A coin cannot be "bought out" or "merged" with another coin.

Bitshares went through a merger in 2014 when it combined the Bitshares X, Vote, and DNS blockchains. Unfortunately is was pretty much a sham, because the Vote and DNS features never came to fruition and the only thing Bitshares X token holders got out of it was diluted shares. But, it is possible nonetheless.

There are also a lot of "dead" coins which transitioned to new blockchains via token swaps. Too many to list really..
RonMank

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 04:10:07 AM

isnt there a way to revive a coin even if devs are not involved? I am interested in knowing how that can happen. Can't a community agree on a new dev and begin a new updated wallet that every node/network uses?
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 05:50:59 AM

Cryptocurrencies can be easily bought out or merged.

It hasn't happened yet but I think it will. 

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
ratatatat

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 06:00:55 AM

Companies have buildings, machines, land, vehicles and many more things of value.
Cryptocoin have no substance at all and aren't regulated so any merger should turn out a pretty scam.

Why would you want to merge two coins? It's just easier to relaunch it.
aguila

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 06:04:48 AM

I have never heard about it. But when that happens it is going to be very interesting. I wonder which is the first coin.

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 06:31:33 AM

Anyone heard of a Cryptocurrency an open source project buying out or merging with another?

That’ll be a “no” then.

More to think upon ... https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2012/2012-01-09-bitcoin.markdown

Cheers

Graham

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 06:49:43 AM

Companies have buildings, machines, land, vehicles and many more things of value.
Cryptocoin have no substance at all and aren't regulated so any merger should turn out a pretty scam.

Why would you want to merge two coins? It's just easier to relaunch it.

A number of reasons.  Like for example, if you want the first bitcoin clone.  Or an old tested blockchain.  Or acommumity that has been well developed.  Or the bamebrand.  Or the dev team.

Many reasons why a crypto could be bought out or merged. 

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 06:52:45 AM

Anyone heard of a Cryptocurrency an open source project buying out or merging with another?

That’ll be a “no” then.

More to think upon ... https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2012/2012-01-09-bitcoin.markdown

Cheers

Graham

There is more to any specific crypto currency than its code.  Much more.

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 06:57:43 AM

That’ll be a “no” then.

Cheers

Graham

There is more to any specific crypto currency than its code.  Much more.

Such as?

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract

“Each party to a contract must have capacity to enter the agreement.”

Cheers

Graham

olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 07:10:05 AM

isnt there a way to revive a coin even if devs are not involved? I am interested in knowing how that can happen. Can't a community agree on a new dev and begin a new updated wallet that every node/network uses?

And thats exactly where the issue is. The community cannot agree on a course of action even the obvious one in the case of Segwit or BTU, the result became more divided than before and the reason for that is because the community is so diverse that we can hardly agree on anything and why would I as a developer want to work on another person credit when I can equally create mine and put my name to stand the test of time. Aside that, the community is so occupied that several projects comes in everyday that demands our attention for us to start focusing on one that has been long gone.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2017, 07:33:37 AM

isnt there a way to revive a coin even if devs are not involved? I am interested in knowing how that can happen.

Here you go: https://github.com/pnut-coin/pnut

Just clone the source and compile it. It's your choice whether to try and find a copy of the original blockchain (and potentially be in conflict with an existing consensus of which you are unaware) or to make a trivial change to the configuration and generate a new blockchain. Now copy the binary to a VM, point the natively-hosted client at the vm-hosted client and vice versa, turn on setgenerate and watch the engine run. Invite your friends to d/l a copy. (*)

even if devs are not involved

What's a “dev”? No, seriously - what qualifications are required?   (Hint: none)

Can't a community agree on a new dev and begin a new updated wallet that every node/network uses?

Neither dev nor agreement is needed. It's called a fork and it's not illegal, immoral or fattening.

HTH

Cheers

Graham

(*) Happy to co-operate in an open online workshop to do exactly that
RonMank

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 01:49:11 AM

isnt there a way to revive a coin even if devs are not involved? I am interested in knowing how that can happen.

Here you go: https://github.com/pnut-coin/pnut

Just clone the source and compile it. It's your choice whether to try and find a copy of the original blockchain (and potentially be in conflict with an existing consensus of which you are unaware) or to make a trivial change to the configuration and generate a new blockchain. Now copy the binary to a VM, point the natively-hosted client at the vm-hosted client and vice versa, turn on setgenerate and watch the engine run. Invite your friends to d/l a copy. (*)

even if devs are not involved

What's a “dev”? No, seriously - what qualifications are required?   (Hint: none)

Can't a community agree on a new dev and begin a new updated wallet that every node/network uses?

Neither dev nor agreement is needed. It's called a fork and it's not illegal, immoral or fattening.

HTH

Cheers

Graham

(*) Happy to co-operate in an open online workshop to do exactly that

+1 thanks for such details
woozyj (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 07:48:41 AM

Bitshares went through a merger in 2014 when it combined the Bitshares X, Vote, and DNS blockchains. Unfortunately is was pretty much a sham, because the Vote and DNS features never came to fruition and the only thing Bitshares X token holders got out of it was diluted shares. But, it is possible nonetheless.

There are also a lot of "dead" coins which transitioned to new blockchains via token swaps. Too many to list really..

Thank you!
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798

homt.net

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2017, 04:25:21 PM

Cryptocurrency financing is new in the world of finance. I think buyout and mergers arrangements might surface in the future. The whole idea about buyout and mergers in finance is to raise funds for big projects, capital investments and for central control. If there was regulation in the crypto world the concepts will stand but that will go against the whole idea of decentralization which Crypto blockchain is all about. Let us wait for future events.

HOMT