Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:19:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plus500.de now accepts CFDs for BTC/USD. 4:1 Leverage  (Read 1017 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:35:18 PM

They are an you could say "established" FX broker and they have just announced, that they now offer CFDs on BTC/USD.

They also offer a free demo account to get to know their software.

Any experiences yet?

What does this mean for Bitcoin's exchange rate?
My guess: >>higher volatility<<

Ressources:
http://www.plus500.de/?refurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.reddit.com%2fr%2fBitcoin%2fsearch%3fq%3dplus500%26restrict_sr%3don
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1dbusc/plus500com_now_supports_bitcointrading_with_real/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123492.msg1979840#msg1979840
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:30:23 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 11:43:37 PM by Kazu

CFDs = Bets. They are just pieces of paper that attempt to act as if you had a leveraged position in the asset. There is actually no asset changing hands.

Thus they don't directly (or even necessarily indirectly) affect the exchange rate. You could have 10,000 BTC bought or sold through CFDs and not one point of slippage on BTC would occur.

Also they don't even offer services to US citizens, and don't even offer metatrader software.

In other words, this should make little to no difference. I suppose it could get a few people knowing what BTC is. Other than that? nothing really.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:21:33 AM

CFDs = Bets. They are just pieces of paper that attempt to act as if you had a leveraged position in the asset. There is actually no asset changing hands.

Thus they don't directly (or even necessarily indirectly) affect the exchange rate. You could have 10,000 BTC bought or sold through CFDs and not one point of slippage on BTC would occur.

Also they don't even offer services to US citizens, and don't even offer metatrader software.

In other words, this should make little to no difference. I suppose it could get a few people knowing what BTC is. Other than that? nothing really.

You mean the site owners dont hedge against their losses?
That would in a small market like Bitcoin, that is so easy to manipulate with a couple million of USD be a fatal failure.
I guess they will hedge their risks on MtGox, thus buy/sell an equal amount of Bitcoins on MtGox that all their clients combined would costs them if they lost their bets against their customers.
buildbit

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:25:06 AM

I used plus500 a few years back. Only deposited $500, made $2500. When I went to withdraw they froze my account and didn't give a reason. Tried to contact them several times and nothing.

I would be cautious with depositing
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:30:09 AM

You mean the site owners dont hedge against their losses?
That would in a small market like Bitcoin, that is so easy to manipulate with a couple million of USD be a fatal failure.
I guess they will hedge their risks on MtGox, thus buy/sell an equal amount of Bitcoins on MtGox that all their clients combined would costs them if they lost their bets against their customers.

What would be the point of CFDs if the brokerage is just going to hedge out anyway? Restricting the user from ever withdrawing his bitcoins? Even if they do hedge, it'd be a fraction of the actual leveraged amount being "CFD'd" as they'd probably try to have clients on either side of the order.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: