Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:16:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 400 watts of free electricity. What miner to use ?  (Read 1316 times)
mat542 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 11:12:26 AM
Last edit: May 17, 2017, 08:38:05 PM by mat542

Hello,

I can get 400 watts of free electricity.
I've been mining for one year with a miner at 270Gh/s. It has a 1.4 W/Gh/s ratio.

I'm wondering if I can get a miner with a better W/Gh/s ratio and that uses a maximum of 400 watts (or that can be underclocked to use less then 400 watts).
What would be the best miner, new or second hand, available in Europe ?

Thanks,
mat542
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 02:17:13 PM

There is none, unless you run seperate blades.

Well there is the Antminer S3, however that makes like a $0.25 a day.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 05:58:23 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

What the miner makes per day, in fiat equivalent, doesn't bother me.
As long as it mines Bitcoins, that's the only thing that counts for me.

The Antminer S3 does indeed use less then 400 Watts and runs at 441 Gh/s, that a 0.77Gh/s ratio.
Better then what I have now.

I looked up the other Antminer products and it seems you can underclock them to use less Watts.
An underclocked Antminer S5 or Antminer S7 looks interesting.

I saw some recent USB miner, but the price is just too much; 60€ for 25Gh/s (GekkoScience 2Pac).
Is there any other miners that can be underclocked ?
tbonetony

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 07:53:20 PM

at 400 watts, you may want to consider altcoins....

there are some asics running at or below 400-watt in that realm, but for alts.

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2017, 08:44:58 PM

I'm not really a fan of altcoins.
I stick to Bitcoin.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2017, 01:39:21 AM

Mine altcoins and then convert to Bitcoin.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 06:44:54 AM

I created a topic in the Altcoin section : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1913541.0
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:18:51 AM

You could downclock an Antminer S5 or a Spondoolies SP20 to get to under 400 watts - at a significant cost in hashrate, but the SP20 at least will also improve efficiency quite a bit as you are also undervolting it to get it to drop the power consumption.

Alternatively, look into the current Sidehack mining pod/stick projects.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
mat542 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2017, 07:15:01 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

I already had a spare computer, so I ended up buying a Radeon RX480 to mine altcoins and exchange them in Bitcoins.

A RX480 (~200€) with the rest of the computer consumes 240 watts and can "mine" 0.008 to 0.009 BTC per day.
If I went for an Antminer S7 (~350€) and underclocked it, I could of mined 0.00072117 BTC per day (1.6Th/s @ 400 watts).

I ended up spending less, using less power and getting more BTC per day.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:46:51 AM

I already had a spare computer, so I ended up buying a Radeon RX480 to mine altcoins and exchange them in Bitcoins.

A RX480 (~200€) with the rest of the computer consumes 240 watts and can "mine" 0.008 to 0.009 BTC per day.
If I went for an Antminer S7 (~350€) and underclocked it, I could of mined 0.00072117 BTC per day (1.6Th/s @ 400 watts).

i single readon can't mine 0.009 per day, that is insane i think you confused the amount, the return is 0.0015 per day

this is always better than 0.006 from an antminer that consume 1400watt, that is 4x one antminer s9 while consuming almost 1/10

i think it's better to wait for bitmain to release the new antminer s10 or s11 with better efficiency, i hope they make more model for lower consumption too
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 11:38:15 AM

i single readon can't mine 0.009 per day, that is insane i think you confused the amount, the return is 0.0015 per day

this is always better than 0.006 from an antminer that consume 1400watt, that is 4x one antminer s9 while consuming almost 1/10

i think it's better to wait for bitmain to release the new antminer s10 or s11 with better efficiency, i hope they make more model for lower consumption too
Bitmain has to follow the rest of the semiconductor industry now and chances are future improvements won't be as big as the ones we have seen with past generations. Unless there's some huge break in the SHA256 design like ASICboost again, I don't expect great performance gains. I could be wrong, though. I foresee Bitmain going more into alts than Bitcoin in the future due to greater profit margins.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 11:40:29 PM

Gonna be a fairly long wait for something like that - there is no more "catch up to the state of the art" allowing new MUCH higher efficiency models every year or less, we're now looking at having to follow the "state of the art" norm that is a lot closer to "new process node every 4-5 years or so" instead.

Also, the next two or three process nodes are running into major issues, as the major semiconductor makers hit the end of the road on being able to keep pushing silicon to smaller feature sizes - Intel and IBM have both stated that "10nm is the end of the road for pure silicon" - this is likely to slow the "new node cycle" noticeably at least for a while.

Bitmain at this point has no REASON to bother releasing a miner based on a new chip, even if they are working on a more efficient model for the future, as they are already selling THE most efficient model on the market.
 What they need to do is some serious work on making the current S9 models A LOT MORE RELIABLE - both the S7 and S9/R4 (and to a lesser degree the T9) have shown a lot lower reliability than the S5 did.

I could see a small possibility of them releasing a "S9 lite" type model, with only 2 hash boards and resulting lower power consumption, but am not holding my breath on such a device.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 07:59:36 PM

What would happen if you went a bit above those 400W? There are many miners that could be worth it if you had to pay a small fee for a couple hundred Watts more.
Buying an s7 4ith 400W free power and paying for an additional 800W would be a good deal, but it would of course depend on how much they'd charge you.
Otherwise running an underclocked s5, that doesn't have a decent return at full power isn't worth it.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:22:26 AM

Gonna be a fairly long wait for something like that - there is no more "catch up to the state of the art" allowing new MUCH higher efficiency models every year or less, we're now looking at having to follow the "state of the art" norm that is a lot closer to "new process node every 4-5 years or so" instead.

Also, the next two or three process nodes are running into major issues, as the major semiconductor makers hit the end of the road on being able to keep pushing silicon to smaller feature sizes - Intel and IBM have both stated that "10nm is the end of the road for pure silicon" - this is likely to slow the "new node cycle" noticeably at least for a while.

Bitmain at this point has no REASON to bother releasing a miner based on a new chip, even if they are working on a more efficient model for the future, as they are already selling THE most efficient model on the market.
 What they need to do is some serious work on making the current S9 models A LOT MORE RELIABLE - both the S7 and S9/R4 (and to a lesser degree the T9) have shown a lot lower reliability than the S5 did.

I could see a small possibility of them releasing a "S9 lite" type model, with only 2 hash boards and resulting lower power consumption, but am not holding my breath on such a device.

if they keep waiting before releasing another one, they will lose profit in the end, right now miners are increase the diff at insane rat, because there is a lot of room for profit

but will not last unless the bitcoin value continues to grow also at insane rate, within one year or two bitmain will be forced to released another one if the value is still below $2k
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: