Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:41:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is everyone loving Feathercoin so much?  (Read 12404 times)
billionaire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:04:34 PM

If nothing else, FTC offers the benefits of LTC's quick confirmations and ASIC protection at only a fraction of the mining difficulty level of LTC. It also has tons of interested miners since its almost 300% more profitable right now to mine than btc, and twice as profitable than LTC. This is alot to build on in the first week of its public debut. What more do you want out a coin that is a week old? Of course no retailers accept a brand new coin. Name something specific that a new coin should offer if FTC isnt good enough as it is. I find a lot of potential in it personally.
hathmill

Activity: 186

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:08:10 PM

Im not supporting it, mainly because Imm to late to the game. I think I can make more money on ltc and btc in the longrun then on fc.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:10:12 PM

If we need another scrypt alt, why didn't Mincoin succeed?

I love FC because I'm making lots off of it. I don't think it's going to survive, I think the price is gonna go up, then crash.

You are like someone who sold Bitcoin when it was $30. Unintelligent behavior.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:13:07 PM

I love FC because I'm making lots off of it. I don't think it's going to survive, I think the price is gonna go up, then crash.

Come on, this has been seen before. FTC is the new Coin of the Month.

Litecoin is the best fork of Bitcoin. Feathercoin is the best fork of Litecoin... it has long range potential.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:18:42 PM

Litecoin is the best fork of Bitcoin. Feathercoin is the best fork of Litecoin... it has long range potential.

So, what's wrong with Mincoin, then?

Well first of all, the developer(s) of Feathercoin have made relatively conservative decisions about Feathercoin's design deviations from Litecoin. So I think that shows they are intelligent. Also the Feathercoin site is very professional. The name also sounds better than "Mincoin".

I think Feathercoin should be a long term competitor to Litecoin and Bitcoin, and slowly introduce more design improvements. And if it doesn't reach its potential, it is mostly the fault of the miners and investors.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 03:20:13 PM

It is necessary to have more than one coin for each method of hashing in order for miners to be able to maximise the profits from chain-hopping.

Ideally there will be enough chains to hop that any time one chain goes up in difficulty some other chain will have lain fallow long enough to finally, possibly after a long long long time of hardly being mined at all, lower its own difficulty. How many chains it will take for there to always be a chain dropping back down in difficlty whenever another chain increases in difficulty I do not know offhand but might be able to be guestimated and can of course, by continuing to make more chains until it is accomplished, be determined empirically.

Thus multiple chains should in the long term maximise miners profits. Huh

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:21:34 PM

Multiple chains are important to ensure the long term stability of cryptocoins. Because then there is less chance they could all be shut down. I think Feathercoin should be one of the accepted coins. Obviously I am biased here, since I have some, but I had the same opinion before I had any.
billionaire

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:23:07 PM

I dont agree with his post about a sudden crash in FTC's future, anything is possible. But I can only speak of my own position as a new miner who spent $2500 on equipment with a credit card. I would love to hold all my coins for a few years and let them gain in value, but I have to pay off my rig. Right now FTC represents a great opportunity to speed up my repayment. I will of course hold some along the way, but financing my purchase through the selling of my mined coins is also a priority. There is a difference between just hopping in and cashing out, and people like me though. I am not looking for a get rich quick scheme or a quick cash before a crash.

I support FTC through mining and sticking up for it in forums and the message box at BTC-e. I test brand new exchanges that offer FTC, and I plan on holding on to a bunch of my FTC to hopefully see it grow into something that can peacefully coexist alongside BTC and LTC. I use some of my FTC proceeds to invest in other coins to diversify my holdings. The way I see it, the more options in crypto the better. Let the entire userbase decide with their hashrates and trades to decide which coins are worthy or not. It will sort itself out one way or the other. There are at least two ways to view FTC's meteoric rise. Either its a flash in the pan, or its going to be around for a long time. Either way, it is exciting to see a new coin come out of the gates swinging like FTC is. It's something I definitely want to be a part of.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:29:59 PM

Well first of all, the developer(s) of Feathercoin have made relatively conservative decisions about Feathercoin's design deviations from Litecoin. So I think that shows they are intelligent. Also the Feathercoin site is very professional. The name also sounds better than "Mincoin".

I think Feathercoin should be a long term competitor to Litecoin and Bitcoin, and slowly introduce more design improvements. And if it doesn't reach its potential, it is mostly the fault of the miners and investors.

So, because it's closer to being a clone of Litecoin, and has better web designers, it's better than Mincoin? Oh, and it has a cooler name. Really? That's all you've got? It also has a really cool logo, you forgot to mention that. Maybe in your eyes, that's evidence for it being a solid long term coin, too.

They haven't made brash decisions to ensure its failure. Because of the uncertainty, it has long term viability. Conservative design changes are the way to go. These are just my opinions obviously.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:33:34 PM

So, because it's closer to being a clone of Litecoin, and has better web designers, it's better than Mincoin? Oh, and it has a cooler name. Really? That's all you've got? It also has a really cool logo, you forgot to mention that. Maybe in your eyes, that's evidence for it being a solid long term coin, too.

They haven't made brash decisions to ensure its failure. Because of the uncertainty, it has long term viability. Conservative design changes are the way to go. These are just my opinions obviously.

Litecoin is THE altcoin because it *fixed* something in BTC, namely, the ASIC problem. Making almost no changes to a coin just means you have a carbon copy of it.

But having only one solid, professional Scrypt-based coin is too much risk.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:42:18 PM

Litecoin is THE altcoin because it *fixed* something in BTC, namely, the ASIC problem. Making almost no changes to a coin just means you have a carbon copy of it.

Perhaps. Which is why I said, what's wrong with Mincoin? Maybe FTC will become Litecoin's TRC, but I don't get why Mincoin didn't have this rush of early adoption.

In many subtle ways, Mincoin is not as "professional" as Feathercoin, I think. So it was harder for people to adopt it.
zdarkazn

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:42:43 PM

Perhaps. Which is why I said, what's wrong with Mincoin? Maybe FTC will become Litecoin's TRC, but I don't get why Mincoin didn't have this rush of early adoption.

Mincoin was messed up from the start. Insanely high rewards for the first three days. then constant LOW rewards afterwards.
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:46:36 PM

Anything is possible. I think a fork (LTC -> FTC) of a fork (BTC -> LTC) was already a hard thing for people to accept, and BTC is hard enough to accept. So if FTC is not conservative about their design decisions, it is just too much for people to handle. Too much unpredictability. That's why I like how it is nearly the same as LTC.
UKMark

Activity: 144

Empty vessels make most noise.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:47:46 PM

This is the first I have heard about it? Also I searched for Mintcoin and then realised you had typed Mincoin...Easy mistake I suppose.  Undecided
But still this is a very good point that should be answered.
Maybe ask the Developers of Mincoin?

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 03:51:27 PM

Hmm. Litecoin is THE altcoin because Tenebrix *fixed* something in BTC, namely the ASIC problem, then Fairbrix *fixed* something in Tenebrix, namely the "pre-mine", then Litecoin copied Fairbrix, updating it to newer bitcoin code?

If just copying it and while you're at it using more-recent bitcoin code is the big deal then someone should copy litecoin but use newer bitcoin code.

Hmm, Feathercoin didn't even use newer bitcoin code did it? Just copy and rename?

So judging by Feathercoin's success, the real secret of Litecoin's success is simply copying a predecessor and changing its name.

If *fixing* the ASIC problem was the magic bullet, Tenebrix or Fairbrix (or both) should be the ones getting the accolades.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:53:39 PM

Feathercoin introduces more entropy into the cryptocurrency world, but it does so in a conservative way. So it has long term potential. It's really interesting. It's all up to the miners and investors now, and for the developers to not make any bad decisions or mistakes. If the developers don't make mistakes that betray people's trust, I think Feathercoin could survive.
UKMark

Activity: 144

Empty vessels make most noise.

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:54:59 PM

Hmm. Litecoin is THE altcoin because Tenebrix *fixed* something in BTC, namely the ASIC problem, then Fairbrix *fixed* something in Tenebrix, namely the "pre-mine", then Litecoin copied Fairbrix, updating it to newer bitcoin code?

If just copying it and while you're at it using more-recent bitcoin code is the big deal then someone should copy litecoin but use newer bitcoin code.

Hmm, Feathercoin didn't even use newer bitcoin code did it? Just copy and rename?

So judging by Feathercoin's success, the real secret of Litecoin's success is simply copying a predecessor and changing its name.

If *fixing* the ASIC problem was the magic bullet, Tenebrix or Fairbrix (or both) should be the ones getting the accolades.

-MarkM-

Again I thing you should be asking the Developers of these coins? Tenbricks and Fairbricks? Never heard of any of them?

imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:59:46 PM

Feathercoin is a fork of Litecoin. So it should only pull in Litecoin code, of course. When Litecoin pulls in newer Bitcoin code, it should then propagate to Feathercoin.
thep33t

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

-MarkM-

Again I thing you should be asking the Developers of these coins? Tenbricks and Fairbricks? Never heard of any of them?

Think end of 2011

Feathercoin Pool - http://feathercoin.is-a-geek.com - [PPLNS][0% Fees]
FTC: 6sf5CgurY5axcd2cwDHmiwdVMdAF9fw6pU       BTC: 1J74TaaKuNMoy25TP5vXKG2Jw8yg1sqyyQ       BTE: 8QZ2XiantPF8eWmzayo5WaXyYC8unBq5ZC     LTC: LatpwWc4GQyF2teKegZHiDGEGdNEKqEPTT
imperi

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:01:19 PM

-MarkM-

Think end of 2011

Can you change your sig to be "FTC".
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: