Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:28:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get started in bitcoin/altcoin development?  (Read 2625 times)
Jdope (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 10:07:21 AM

I don't know if this sub forum is the right place to ask this or not but here it goes, i want to get started in bitcoin/altcoin development, know about how the system works instead of just using it and get to know how transactions work, how miners, wallets and coins are developed. A little information about my background, i have been C++ college courses for a year, data structures, object oriented concepts and the rest. i have also been web developing using node among others for a year, i tried checking out github repos of coins like bitcoin and ethereum but it's a little to big and i don't know where to start. I know you have to start somewhere so if you've been in my shoes a few years ago, how did you get better at it? how did you start? thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 10:10:41 AM

Read the Bitcoin whitepaper first: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
That will give you a full understanding of how Bitcoin, the Blockchain and mostly everything related work.

Start prying with the source code afterwards, view it, fork it, whatever you want. Try to understand piece-by-piece.
Jdope (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 10:13:33 AM

Read the Bitcoin whitepaper first: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
That will give you a full understanding of how Bitcoin, the Blockchain and mostly everything related work.

Start prying with the source code afterwards, view it, fork it, whatever you want. Try to understand piece-by-piece.
I've read the whitepaper a couple of times, and watched some youtube videos too. i have a good understanding of how the blockchain works in general but not the code, once i start reading the source code i get confused, there's too many files on the github repo of bitcoin that i honestly can't even figure out where it starts.
jaked

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 02:51:13 PM

I don't know if this sub forum is the right place to ask this or not but here it goes, i want to get started in bitcoin/altcoin development, know about how the system works instead of just using it and get to know how transactions work, how miners, wallets and coins are developed. A little information about my background, i have been C++ college courses for a year, data structures, object oriented concepts and the rest. i have also been web developing using node among others for a year, i tried checking out github repos of coins like bitcoin and ethereum but it's a little to big and i don't know where to start. I know you have to start somewhere so if you've been in my shoes a few years ago, how did you get better at it? how did you start? thanks.

Here you go:
https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide
https://github.com/bitcoinbook/bitcoinbook
MetalGear

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2017, 02:18:32 PM

In my own experience i started my bitcoin using coins. ph it is a bitcoin wallet in where you can store your bitcoins. And by this wallet you can also receive benefits just like having a 50 pesos in philippine peso for every friend that you can invite and will use the coins. ph you can also receive benefits for every transaction that you will do using bitcoin
xdeltax

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:46:45 PM

analyse existing code that isn't already over-developed / production-ready. do not fork some existing coins. you will never understand the important basics in programming them if you just try to crawl through 10000 lines of code and hundreds of files.

start here: https://medium.com/@lhartikk/a-blockchain-in-200-lines-of-code-963cc1cc0e54
and than try to understand this: https://hackernoon.com/a-cryptocurrency-implementation-in-less-than-1500-lines-of-code-d3812bedb25c
AK47-

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 12:29:45 PM

As you already know C++. It will be good as Bitcoin Core is written in C++. You should now focus on C++ with OpenCL / Cuda for GPU programming for specifically programming with crypto technology. Also, there is a book called Mastering Bitcoin by Andreas Antonopoulos. It is a good book to be started with Bitcoin technology.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6186

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 10:35:28 PM

First of all, you should use the search function of the forum - only recently there was a VERY similar thread.

The Bitcoin whitepaper and the two resources xdeltax posted are already a good start. Then I would read the technical documentation of the Bitcoin protocol, as that's what is important - not a single implementation like Bitcoin Core or, let's say, Electrum.

I would recommend, too, "Bitcoins the hard way", to know how transactions and other basic Bitcoin mechanisms work and be able to write simple scripts that access the Bitcoin network and do useful things - without any client.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
EthBooks

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 12:56:01 PM

I would recommend a basic knowledge of C++, and to play with Litecoin source code. If you have compiled programs in Linux, you're on the right path.
slimgrey

Activity: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 06:21:26 PM

who here wants to just team up and create or fork a altcoin?Huh i don't know coding but i know i could handle the marketing part
FATechnologies

Activity: 167

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:10:37 PM

Here. I can clone any coin  Grin
dquancey

Activity: 587
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:17:36 PM

Back in 2013, I started cloning BTC/LTC code and starting my own coins, then creating an MPOS pool and start mining and watch it work away.

I'm no coder, nor am I wanting to start my own currency, I just wanted to understand how it all worked and this sort of thing was invaluable to me.

Many a sleepless night trying to get this working  Grin

Anyway, good luck.
cjnmoh

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 04:54:34 AM

I also have the same concern about this Bitcoin and it's development. How it is working and what is the business is this. Is bitcoin developed to help people only or somebody is earning by developing this. How the wallet are working? Is that possible we can run a wallet business?
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 01:34:50 PM

Here you go:
https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide
https://github.com/bitcoinbook/bitcoinbook

The developer guide is always a good place to start, better than the white paper if you ask me. Everything about the blockchain like the hashing, proof of work and all the other stuff is explained well enough for a non-coder to understand.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: