Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:57:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guiminer on 2 PCs  (Read 1324 times)
billiophile (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:53:31 PM

Hi all,

Started my bitcoin mining last night (yes, 2 years too late). Still a lot I need to get my head round but as a concept, I can't fault it. Plus, it's nice to have my CPU / GPU actually max'ing out resources for a change. Funny, there are all kinds of burn tests for hardware but bitcoin does that while making money at the same time,  Grin.

I do have a query. Since last night, I've installed the bitcoin client on PC1 using guiminer to utilise my dual 5850. It's been mining for a pool. Today, I put together PC2, with dual 5830 hoping to do the same, for the same pool.

My questions are:

1) does it matter that the 2 PCs have different bitcoin address?
2) since I'm registered on the pool, with the relevant workers on guiminer mining away, do I need to have bitcoin client running in the background on either / both PCs?
3) the pool does show me the combined hashrate of the 2 PCs but would any bitcoins generated end up in the same bitcoin address (the one I registered with originally)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

William
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:17:44 PM

Noob here, but here's my experience.  I have GUIMiner running on several PCs.  All connected to the same pool.  It doesn't matter that the computers have different addresses, because the pool has ll your data and is sending your coins to whatever address you have registered.  I am 99% certain that Bitcoin doesn't have to be running unless you are running solo.  If you want you can create different workers, either for each computer or even each core to see which one is doing better.
billiophile (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:26:16 PM

I thought that might be the case. Nice to have some clarification. Thank you. Hope the mining goes well (I wonder if you'll ever be able to recoup your electricity bill? Hehehe).

William
Kuber

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:39:21 PM

No need of running the bitcoin-client - it's only for transactions.
Your wallet/private key is your BTC-Identity, it is extremly important to keep this data (wallet.dat) private/safe!
You can generate infinite bitcoin adresses (those you should state in your pool-account) via BTC-client - these are just your "bank account numbers" - they are all linked to your wallet. Installing the BTC-Client on another pc means you create a new wallet with new addresses, so it's better to begin with just one wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: