Bitcoin Forum
September 22, 2024, 10:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Foundation says my computer is infected? [SOLVED]  (Read 737 times)
IveBeenBit (OP)

Activity: 449
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:02:45 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 05:44:35 PM by IveBeenBit

I went to bitcoinfoundation.org today and was presented with a CAPTCHA and a message saying that my computer is infected with Malware. I find this unlikely since I'm running Ubuntu. Is there something else that can be triggering this? Is there a Bitcoin Foundation webmaster that can give me some insight of potential causes?

Screen cap of the error message: http://imgur.com/mCabCmz
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:17:51 PM

There's ads on bitcoinfoundation?  Huh

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:28:02 PM

I went to bitcoinfoundation.org today and was presented with a CAPTCHA and a message saying that my computer is infected with Malware. I find this unlikely since I'm running Ubuntu. Is there something else that can be triggering this? Is there a Bitcoin Foundation webmaster that can give me some insight of potential causes?

Screen cap of the error message: http://imgur.com/mCabCmz

Maybe u have Litecoin installed on that machine?  Smiley
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 03:30:04 PM

Bitcoin Foundation uses CloudFlare to protect bitcoinfoundation.org from distributed denial of service attacks.

As the message says, either your computer or a computer on the same network / ISP as yours was sending lots of spammy requests to CloudFlare. So they ask you to solve a CAPTCHA to prove that you're not part of the bad guy's botnet.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1026

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:30:14 PM

Or maybe you should google cloudflare.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
IveBeenBit (OP)

Activity: 449
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:31:39 PM

Bitcoin Foundation uses CloudFlare to protect bitcoinfoundation.org from distributed denial of service attacks.

As the message says, either your computer or a computer on the same network / ISP as yours was sending lots of spammy requests to CloudFlare. So they ask you to solve a CAPTCHA to prove that you're not part of the bad guy's botnet.

Thanks Gavin. I figured out that for some reason my VPN service was causing the message. I suspected that at first, but using the same VPN from another computer on my network trigger that warning.

I just shut off the VPN and was able to access the Bitcoin Foundation site no problem. I thought I had eliminated that variable earlier today, before I posted, but I guess not.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: