Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 11:17:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: problem trying to use search function more than once!  (Read 667 times)
splnkr (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:31:58 PM

Hello all...

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Bitcoin from this forum. I want to search a lot. When I search for something and find nothing, I typically tweak my keywords and try again. But when I do that here, I get an error message:

The last posting from your IP was less than 360 seconds ago. Please try again later.

It seems like some filter that's intended to prevent people from spam-posting into threads is also preventing people from doing rapid repeated searches, which I think need to be allowed for us to learn best. I see a lot of encouragement to "use the search function" on these boards. I want to be able to take that advice and run with it!

My guess is that the search term is being sent as an HTTP POST request and all POST requests are subject to the filter. The easiest hack fix would be to change the search term to be sent as an HTTP GET request instead, otherwise the filter would have to be taught to distinguish between new message / reply POSTs and search query POSTs.

Anyone in a position to comment on how to get this done?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:35:07 PM

Newer members aren't allowed to search very often.

I suggest going to google and using "site:bitcointalk.org (search terms)".
splnkr (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:05:22 PM

I'm not into the idea of going back and forth between two sites for searching personally, but if that's how it has to be right now, so be it.

But there are users constantly asking about this, in the newbie forums especially...as such it might generate more spam than it prevents! Related post topics in newbie forums from the past week:

Forum Search Error
what's up with this site's broken search?
Search restrictions when logged in?
Search feature Useless
Search is throttled for newbies?

So, at the very least, if the error message that appears after repeated search attempts by throttled users could be more informative, perhaps that would stem the tide. Most people don't call a search query a "posting" so it's inherently confusing.

How about: "Sorry, but there is a limit on search frequency for new users. Please wait 6 minutes between searches. This is required to prevent certain kinds of hacking attacks."
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5250
Merit: 13105

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:19:45 PM

I added a Google search box to the search page. It should be a little better than even searching with "site:bitcointalk.org" because it ignores certain useless or duplicative pages.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
splnkr (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

@theymos thanks for adding that! works much better for me.

My only other suggestion would be that, if site-integrated Google Search is now the recommended way to search the forum, that it also be used as the backend for the sitewide search function.

https://i.imgur.com/2aarZWm.jpg

Would that be possible? Either way, thanks again!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5250
Merit: 13105

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:02:20 PM

That search is context-sensitive (it only searches the topic/section you're on), which Google can't easily do.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:59:35 PM

Hello all...

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Bitcoin from this forum. I want to search a lot. When I search for something and find nothing, I typically tweak my keywords and try again. But when I do that here, I get an error message:

The last posting from your IP was less than 360 seconds ago. Please try again later.

It seems like some filter that's intended to prevent people from spam-posting into threads is also preventing people from doing rapid repeated searches, which I think need to be allowed for us to learn best. I see a lot of encouragement to "use the search function" on these boards. I want to be able to take that advice and run with it!

My guess is that the search term is being sent as an HTTP POST request and all POST requests are subject to the filter. The easiest hack fix would be to change the search term to be sent as an HTTP GET request instead, otherwise the filter would have to be taught to distinguish between new message / reply POSTs and search query POSTs.

Anyone in a position to comment on how to get this done?

Wait a couple of minutes, then try again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: