Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:44:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Major burglary  (Read 1303 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:32:06 AM

I wonder how many of the people who have had coins stolen from them are using Windows Operating System based computers?

Have any chromebook users, mac users, linux users had this issue?
Have any android or iphone users had this issue?

this is a common myth that linux is more secure when in the past there security holes for linux too, windows 7 i not so secure anymore, but windows 10 is a fortress it's very hard to infect if you are not stupid and install malware.exe on your computer

actually win 10 will stop you, recently i was going to run a miner(ccminer compiled by a newbie user) which was supsicious and win 10 stopped it before i can even attempt to do so, and it did not the same with the same malware compiled by a trusted dev

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2017, 05:43:34 AM

Terrible news, sorry for your luck.

I feel like this is a story upon which a Coinbase ad should be made.

When was Windows 10 released? Couldn't the lack of time on the market boost its near term success against malware and such?
this is a common myth that linux is more secure when in the past there security holes for linux too, windows 7 i not so secure anymore, but windows 10 is a fortress it's very hard to infect if you are not stupid and install malware.exe on your computer

Mac has the same process...for better or for worse.
actually win 10 will stop you, recently i was going to run a miner(ccminer compiled by a newbie user) which was supsicious and win 10 stopped it before i can even attempt to do so, and it did not the same with the same malware compiled by a trusted dev
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:50:32 AM

Yikes! That hurts, I don't have that much but it sure hurts and we are grateful for the information some of us will be careful in our dealings next time because hacking seems to be rampant these days.
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 02:53:27 PM

Good reminder on why you need to be very careful with any computer used for Cryptocurrency.
Don't download anything. Keep Antivirus up to date and run scans often. Use 2FA for any exchange etc.
If you have this much currency, it might be worth buying a laptop and only using it for transfers. Or at least run a live CD of a clean linux distro etc.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 02:59:34 PM

According to dictionary, burglary is entry into a building illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft.
"a two-year sentence for burglary".

I thought some thief entered his house with the sole purpose of stealing Bitcoins, what would be menacing if they found him through a malware.

This was "just" a hacking, even if a big one.
That was confusing for me also. I thought we were seeing the next step. Kidnapping, home invasions, and the like. All to get your bitcoin. One day that may be as big a threat as electronic theft. Up your game in real life if you have BTC.

Come take it! Angry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Chris!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 03:02:07 PM

Terrible news, sorry for your luck.

I feel like this is a story upon which a Coinbase ad should be made.

When was Windows 10 released? Couldn't the lack of time on the market boost its near term success against malware and such?

Mac has the same process...for better or for worse.

The rule of thumb with bitcoins is trust no one, so why trust an OS? I run Linux and windows 10 but I don't use either for storing my bitcoins. It's still trusting that someone doesn't get in somehow. Get a new/unused computer, run Linux in a live environment, make paper wallets with a printer NOT connected to the internet, Bluetooth or anything and store all of your large balances there. I also wouldn't hold all of your bitcoins on one paper wallet. The only people that could steal from you are people who have physical access to your paper wallet. Don't want them to have access? Encrypt it with a password. Done. This should be bitcoin 101 in my books but some people just don't take their security seriously or are very naive.
richsoon

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

That's why I like storing on exchanges despite how much people will say its bad, I trust their security more over my own and 2FA means I can't get hacked on my side.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 04:01:23 PM

If you habe a computer with lots of ltc on it it should never go onto the internet as you would normally. He shoulent download things ln that computer. It should be a separate pc or a external harddrive. Never download stuff on the same pc you use everyday
pressureonme

Activity: 185

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 04:22:43 PM

Don't charge your phone from your computer. If you did already, get rid of the phone too!

Man, how did you come up with this? Grin

Guys, i heard a lot that installation of ubuntu helps significantly reduce risk of viruses and malware infection. Is that right?

What do you recommend for windows/microsoft firewall is sufficient protection for pc againt malware? 

That guy is probably kidding with us. Hahahah this is weird.  Cheesy
mr.mister (OP)

Activity: 299

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:21:56 PM

For those who have thanked me for this thread, you're welcomed. Anytime that a story like this goes public, I think it's good to re-circulate it in the best interest of all us.

This story is a reminder of how important your behavior and knowledge of computer security is. In regards to Operating Systems Safety, Windows, LInux, etc, more important than the OS that you run, is YOUR own behavior and understanding of computer security, and this story is a reminder of how important that is.

In regards to wallet safety:

I believe that cold storage (password protected paper wallets)  or hardware wallets are best for large amounts. If you're using a paper wallet, and need to move coins from them, you can do so from clean copies of a live OS such as Tails or Ubuntu, Fedora, and there are others.

You should be very careful with the software you install, the emails you open, and the websites you visit. Always have a firewall that prevents unauthorized outbound connections. These are just some basics, and I am sure others can add to the above.

Bitcoin Cash (BCASH) is NOT the real Bitcoin
moviebuff777

Activity: 378

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:31:14 PM

Here is exactly what not to do with your coins. The OP of the thread below, was burglarized of 1,000 LTC. Apparently he had some malware on his computer. 30k gone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/6b1y6u/1000_litecoins_stolen_from_eletrumwallet/

Now I don't feel so bad about the coins I lost on cryptsy. I had just a fraction of that amount when they shut down the site.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆

Hero/Legendary

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████
btcforall777

Activity: 235

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 06:04:37 PM

Don't charge your phone from your computer. If you did already, get rid of the phone too!

Man, how did you come up with this? Grin

Guys, i heard a lot that installation of ubuntu helps significantly reduce risk of viruses and malware infection. Is that right?

What do you recommend for windows/microsoft firewall is sufficient protection for pc againt malware? 

your phone has a drive with a boot sector. if you charge your phone on the computer, it very possibly may have corrupted the boot sector phone too.
next time you plug it into your new sector computer, you will re-infect it and wonder what the fuck happened.

I downloaded a miner that had malware. It was cross-platform, corrupted all of my usb's, windows and linux computers. I kept getting hacked over and over and by the process of elimination I determined. what the source of the virus was.

I replaced all of my hardware multiple before I finally figured out what was going on.

When you pull a hardrive, install a new on and new operating system and the malware is still there and you get hacked again it will freak you out

Then you will follow the above.
btcforall777

Activity: 235

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 06:09:41 PM

I wonder how many of the people who have had coins stolen from them are using Windows Operating System based computers?

Have any chromebook users, mac users, linux users had this issue?
Have any android or iphone users had this issue?

Here is the other thing - Chromebooks are not susceptible to malware ( unless you modify them. Now most of my computers are Chromebook.
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3438631?hl=en

I now  use a hardware wallet and I use air-gapped dedicated computers for sensitive stuff.

I learned the hard way but at least I learned.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: