Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:14:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Baikal Quad Cube Miner Review - Quality=Awesomeness  (Read 2766 times)
pikachuy (OP)

Activity: 544
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:00:57 AM

Well, I've owned some Antminers, Avalons, and GPU's during my mining career, and I have to say hands down, the Baikal Quad Cube is my favorite in quality and reliability. It's pretty much plug and play and solid as a rock.

You can read the full specs/data from the company here: http://www.baikalminer.com

Quick run through:

It supports 6 Algorithms: X11 / X13 / X14 / X15 / Quark / Qubit

Even though the company description page says it hashes 1200MH (+ or - 10%) in any of the algorithms, I always find that it is always in the + side. It is always over 1200MH and not once, have I seen it go lower than 1200MH other than when the miner is booting up (love the under promise and over deliver aspect).

Power wise, it has (4) standard 6pin pcie jacks that you see everyone using now a days, so it's pretty friendly if you already have some old back up miner power supplies (at most, I say it only needs 350watts). The miner does come with (2) 6pin pcie splitters so you will actually only need (2) 6pin pcie cables.
Side note: I always find it that it is consuming slightly less watts than what it indicates on the company description page (maybe due to my platinum server power supply). So that is a win-win.

The Baikal Quad Cube is actually 4 cubes stacked together but with only 1 controller (Raspberry Pi Zero). You can find a link to update the Raspberry Pi Zero image here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1GBwN5-i39VRzNQS28tWlpsTVk

It comes with multiple multi-pools with best auto-algo switch for you to choose from so all you would need is to click which one you want and change the BTC address to yours. Pretty EASY setup!

Noise? What Noise? If you set the baikal-fan option to 50%, it's like the most silent miner I've owned and it still stays cool.

Questions & Answers will be on post #2 and will be updated from time to time so people don't get lost or ask the same questions.

Time for some show and tell, here are views of the Baikal Quad Cube in different angles:

Here is a view of the Raspberry Pi Zero controller (with antenna??? trying to figure out how to activate this!)

Comes with 4GB microsd card

Here is my HP server power supply with breakout board.

Now time for the interface!

Once everything is connected, it is set to DHCP so you will need to find the IP address, usually can be seen in your router page. Baikal also have tools to locate the miner's ip: https://github.com/baikalminer/multi-algo-miner/tree/master/utility
Note: default password is baikal to login the interface page.

This is the default stats page once you logged in (this has been running for 12+ hours and you can see the hashrate is always above 1200MH!)
Note: The status "Dead/Alive" changes randomly because it moves around to different algorithms for best profit switching.

This is the miner settings page where you can change your pools and options

This is the settings page where you can set up alerts and auto-recovery in-case the miner goes below a threshold(it'll restart itself I believe)

This page is where you can save settings or restore settings (easy cloning in-case you have multiple Baikal miners)

It comes with built in terminal and supports root! Root login is baikal, and password is baikal

Am I missing something? Let me know!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pikachuy (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:01:09 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2017, 11:56:49 AM by pikachuy

Questions & Answers:

Where can I buy it?
   It is best to purchase directly from Baikal: http://www.baikalminer.com

Can it mine wirelessly?
   I am trying to figure out how to power up the antenna and connect to my network, will update here if ever successful.

What is the order that you should power up the Quad Cubes?
   From top to bottom.

What are the operating temperatures?
   According to Baikal, highest mining temperature is 70c degrees, over 70c, miner will stop automatically. Once temperature go down back to normal, it will start itself again.
   Recommended mining temperature would be around 30c-50c.
allnewbie

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:59:31 AM

Thanks for sharing this, great review. Pictures are always best evidence.!!
I have one question:
Does the switch order of quad-cube miner same with quadruple(mini) that required from Top to bottom?  they said to me the faulty turning off/on will damage the machine on my previous quadruple mini miner order.
pikachuy (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 12:13:33 PM

Thanks for sharing this, great review. Pictures are always best evidence.!!
I have one question:
Does the switch order of quad-cube miner same with quadruple(mini) that required from Top to bottom?  they said to me the faulty turning off/on will damage the machine on my previous quadruple mini miner order.

To be honest, I just leave them all on the ON position and control the power off/on with the breakout board on my HP server power supply because it has it's own switch. I know their website says "Be sure to turn on a miner when the switch is at OFF", but that would be hard to do if you have a blackout for example, because after a blackout, the power is restored with the Baikal all with ON switch anyways. So with me leaving them all on "ON", all 4 cubes on the Quad will power up exactly at the same time when any power is connected.

Side note: I have been powering off and on the Quad cube this way with all on the "ON" switch multiple times now, not sure if there is a limitation or not but will keep everyone posted if it does any damages in the long run. Not sure why they would mention to only turn on when switch is OFF, since blackouts/power outages are a fact sooner or later of happening.
baikal

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

www.baikalminer.com

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 11:31:07 AM

Thanks very much for the review!

Yes, when we first get a sample from our company, we tested it and find out the actual produced hashrate and power consumption is better than engineer specified in technical parameter file.  Wink Wink Wink I imaged it will be a small surprise for customers themselves to find out it. Wink

@allnewbie Correct order for turning on/off is from Top to bottom. Thanks for asking.

Any questions about Cube you can leave here, we will be gald to help, as well as pikachuy I think. Smiley

Our cutting-edge technology creates a brighter future for you!
LachlanS

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 12:06:08 PM

Yep, I'm getting 1220-1260MHs on my chosen pool!
Hers a photo of my modded cube quad, temps are about 33 degrees celcius (91 farenheit)
http://pasteboard.co/3Mx5J2n3d.jpg

Powerdraw at the wall as measured by my wattmeter was pretty accurate to specs as well, accounting for some PSU inefficiency
baikal

Activity: 129

www.baikalminer.com

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 12:03:50 PM

The machine, math to the background. beautiful! Grin Grin Grin

Our cutting-edge technology creates a brighter future for you!
NewMinex1

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 03:27:52 PM

Where can I buy? How much is it now?
allnewbie

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 12:54:26 PM

Their is sold out now.
you still can buy from outside, ebay, alibaba.. but price is nearly double.

LachlanS

Activity: 27

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 01:23:52 PM

I have one for sale here. The price is what I paid to Baikal in bitcoin 3 weeks ago.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1924135.0
Sequoia93

Activity: 116

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 04:30:45 PM

Does anyone know if these are ASIC or FPGA?

I would love to see a full teardown!
pikachuy (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 06:04:27 AM

Does anyone know if these are ASIC or FPGA?

I would love to see a full teardown!

I am too scared to tear mine down since it's mining so smoothly since I first got it. But I did find this on the internet, not sure if it helps you or is accurate.

TheThommy

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 01:02:19 PM

thanks for the review!

where can I buy this rig? who´s the original manufacturer?
allnewbie

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 09:49:04 AM

thanks for the review!

where can I buy this rig? who´s the original manufacturer?

www.baikalminer.com
Nothing in stock now.
Harunn

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:31:02 PM

If someone sells their quad cube you can always contact me!
jeudyx

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 05:44:22 AM

I own one of these and have been mining non stop for almost a week now. Everything smooth. Question: what should be the maximum operation temperature? I ask because I like to set the fans to 50% or 60% so its not too noisy, and temperature has been at around 30C (33C tops).

I think I read somewhere the limit is 70C, but I don't want to fry it  Grin
Steven3iii

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 12:40:57 PM

I own one of these and have been mining non stop for almost a week now. Everything smooth. Question: what should be the maximum operation temperature? I ask because I like to set the fans to 50% or 60% so its not too noisy, and temperature has been at around 30C (33C tops).

Where did you get it? These things are pretty rare on the market. I have not seen any wholesaler sell these for a very long time.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jeudyx

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:25:03 PM

Got it second hand from a local miner here in my country, who is upgrading to bigger rig.

Where did you get it? These things are pretty rare on the market. I have not seen any wholesaler sell these for a very long time.
jeudyx

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 02:25:03 AM

I just found and read the manual. Says operation temperature is between 0 and 40C.

dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 05:40:46 PM

I just found and read the manual. Says operation temperature is between 0 and 40C.

Dang I just stumbled on to this miner, it sounds so freaking awesome for home mining. Anyone know where I could find one? Alibaba is a bad idea, right?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: