Bitcoin Forum
August 29, 2024, 06:19:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 1145 times)
Blisk (OP)

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:31:32 PM

I have 5 win7 computers which are over the day for work and at night they are mining. But have problem because they are overheating and it turns off.
Is there a miner which can be set to how much cpu or gpu is using, so I can limit it not to use 100% of GPU but only 80%.
And must be command line not GUI. Need that for windows 7.
I have setup poclbm.exe for -w25 and -f5 but still happend to overheat.

nickha0

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:36:44 PM

You can set the intensity for how you want to mine in CGMiner. It goes from 1-20, with 20 being your-computer-is-unusable tier (seriously, I've never heard of anyone running it at 20).

I have two settings going, one for 17 intensity which has my 5870 mobility running at about 93-97 C, and one for 12 intensity that I can leave running while I use my computer, which usually puts me around 83 C.

I use it for litecoin mining, but I think you can use it for bitcoins as well.

You can use CGEAsy to set it up if you're unfamiliar with editing batch files.
SolidSnke

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM

Yea I agree slow the intensity or get a fan to blow on them maybe.

BTW i run one of my cards are 20 intensity and it doesn't go above 78C and produces ~620Kh/s -- 7950

Blisk (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:37:13 PM

what do you mean slow intensity
switches for poclbm are -w and -f
I set mine at -r1 -v -w20 -f10
but still overheating...

nickha0

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:39:59 AM

what do you mean slow intensity
switches for poclbm are -w and -f
I set mine at -r1 -v -w20 -f10
but still overheating...

Like I said, switch to CGMiner. Not sure what the settings are for poclbm
ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:07:14 AM

+1 for switch to CGminer, it's fantastic for this, you can set all kind of thermal limits and cooldown methods (fanspeed, corespeed, thermal hysteresis, shutdown temp, etc)

generally don't set your fan above 85% though, it produces negligible increase in cooling and reduces fan lifespan.  i believe this is the default.
Blisk (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 05:38:19 AM

+1 for switch to CGminer, it's fantastic for this, you can set all kind of thermal limits and cooldown methods (fanspeed, corespeed, thermal hysteresis, shutdown temp, etc)

generally don't set your fan above 85% though, it produces negligible increase in cooling and reduces fan lifespan.  i believe this is the default.

cgminer for linux.
I searched for cgminer windows and switches for setup in windows but can't find anything what works.
do you have any links or how to setup cg miner so I can work on my computer and mine and when I don't work it uses both graphics and cpu but only 95% of it to prevent overheating?

syndtr

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:01:45 AM

cgminer for linux.
I searched for cgminer windows and switches for setup in windows but can't find anything what works.
do you have any links or how to setup cg miner so I can work on my computer and mine and when I don't work it uses both graphics and cpu but only 95% of it to prevent overheating?

No, cgminer can be used on windows too. You can download the binary here http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-3.1.0-windows.zip.
By default cgminer will set intensity to "d", which will maintain desktop interactivity.
tony_357

Activity: 33

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:30:08 AM

I thought most people had switched to FPGA miners (as they are more energy efficient), and more easily scaled?

What kind of MHash/$ are you achieving with the GPU (just curious)?
TheSpiral

Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:32:00 AM

There's plenty of ways to keep the system from cooking in CGMiner. From https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer
Notable heat flags:
--auto-fan ; for automatic fan control
--gpu-fan [min,max] ; sets range for fan speed in percentage. Example: 85 (would set fans to 85%), 50-95 (would set to 50% to 95% depending on temperature)
--auto-gpu [min,max] ; like above, just for core clock speed of the card. For example on a 7850: "900,1050" would set the range from 900 to 1050 depending on temperature.
Blisk (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:42:11 AM

I thought most people had switched to FPGA miners (as they are more energy efficient), and more easily scaled?

What kind of MHash/$ are you achieving with the GPU (just curious)?

Which FPGA miners and they must be cmd miners?

from 80 to 260, what I set to? with radeon 6850.

Blisk (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:44:14 AM

There's plenty of ways to keep the system from cooking in CGMiner. From https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer
Notable heat flags:
--gpu-fan [min,max] ; sets range for fan speed in percentage. Example: 85 (would set fans to 85%), 50-95 (would set to 50% to 95% depending on temperature)
--auto-gpu [min,max] ; like above, just for core clock speed of the card. For example on a 7850: "900,1050" would set the range from 900 to 1050 depending on temperature.

As I read I need to compile cgminer with switches it doesn't work directly or am I wrong?

So what is best not to use 100% to set gpu fan for 95%

TheSpiral

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:48:06 AM

Notable heat flags:

As I read I need to compile cgminer with switches it doesn't work directly or am I wrong?

So what is best not to use 100% to set gpu fan for 95%
The pre-compiled binaries for Windows don't need to be compiled with the specific flags. They should all be included in the binaries. If you're compiling them yourself, you 'can' choose which flags will work or not.

Binaries: http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/
Source to compile yourself: https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer
Blisk (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:47:20 AM

can you advice me, what you suggest to, which flags for at night when nobody works on pc but still don't wan't to pc shutdown because of overheating and at day when I am working with MS office programs and some youtube, to not tobe disturbed all will still works normally and mining?
Thanks

TheSpiral

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:53:37 AM

Best solution is probably find what keeps it stable, it is different on every computer, depends on the motherboard, the cooling, etc....
I have a mining profile for when I'm sleeping or at work, and I have a different one for when I am using the computer. The only difference is the intensity (-I) value, same as the guy in the second post.

It also depends on if you're using it for Bitcoin (SHA256) mining, or Litecoin (Scrypt) mining to pick which flags.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:07:31 AM

You can set the intensity for how you want to mine in CGMiner. It goes from 1-20, with 20 being your-computer-is-unusable tier (seriously, I've never heard of anyone running it at 20).

I have two settings going, one for 17 intensity which has my 5870 mobility running at about 93-97 C, and one for 12 intensity that I can leave running while I use my computer, which usually puts me around 83 C.

I always leave bitcoin running -I 9.  What is this mobility?  It might not be good to mine those?.

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
ridgeback

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:38:35 AM

I'm using cgminer with auto-gpu and temp-overheat, which makes cgminer underclock the card to avoid overheating. Keeps it steady when you don't have time to monitor like during night.. Smiley
nickha0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 05:03:28 AM

I always leave bitcoin running -I 9.  What is this mobility?  It might not be good to mine those?.

No, it's not, that's why I watch the temp and don't leave it running longer than 12 hours.
tobobit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 05:35:36 AM

I have 5 win7 computers which are over the day for work and at night they are mining. But have problem because they are overheating and it turns off.
Is there a miner which can be set to how much cpu or gpu is using, so I can limit it not to use 100% of GPU but only 80%.
And must be command line not GUI. Need that for windows 7.
I have setup poclbm.exe for -w25 and -f5 but still happend to overheat.

open the cases and blow out the fans/heatsinks on the video card etc, with compressed air. Dont blow for too long or it generates moisture.  Get the dust/hair off. this may help it cool better if your pc's haven't been cleaned in a while.
alinsaviuc

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:11:45 AM

Switch to cgminer and change the intensity to 13.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: