Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:47:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The developers decided to abandon further development MP3  (Read 344 times)
23boriss (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 05:56:23 PM

The developers decided to abandon further development of MP3 and terminate the license fees from manufacturers of equipment and software. This leads to the fact that in the future production of devices that support this format will be discontinued.
Although currently there are more efficient codecs with advanced functions, MP3 is still very popular among consumers. However, most modern media services, such as streaming radio, TV and broadcasting, use modern codecs ISO MPEG: a family in the future AAC or MPEG-H. They can provide more features and higher quality audio at much lower bitrates compared to MP3. End of an era of music.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scourgette

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 06:31:26 PM

Well, goodbye old pal! I'm grateful for the world of free pirated music you opened for us and I'll never forget you!
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1104

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:45:16 PM

I just had a thought that one day my child will stumble upon one of my old hard drives and discover strange files that no modern player will support and those will be my beloved mp3s. He/she will listen and frown at the quality, just like we're frowning when someone plays a crackling vinyl record. Embarrassed

I felt a similar end of an era when they stopped updating Winamp.

jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 01:17:22 AM

What is your source?

And there always will be softwares that will be able to read mp3 files. And China doesn't really care about licenses and stuff, so I guess they will keep producting things that can read mp3

I just had a thought that one day my child will stumble upon one of my old hard drives and discover strange files that no modern player will support and those will be my beloved mp3s. He/she will listen and frown at the quality, just like we're frowning when someone plays a crackling vinyl record. Embarrassed

Usually the problem is whatever is playing the vinyl, because vinyl's quality is better, if whatever is playing it is not a constraint

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:30:36 AM

The developers decided to abandon further development of MP3 and terminate the license fees from manufacturers of equipment and software. This leads to the fact that in the future production of devices that support this format will be discontinued.
Although currently there are more efficient codecs with advanced functions, MP3 is still very popular among consumers. However, most modern media services, such as streaming radio, TV and broadcasting, use modern codecs ISO MPEG: a family in the future AAC or MPEG-H. They can provide more features and higher quality audio at much lower bitrates compared to MP3. End of an era of music.

MP3 will still flourish even if the developers will end their project and terminate their license fees. MP3 technology has already been widespread and there are many users of MP3 and as long as there are mp3 players and users it will continue to survive long years before it can finally die out. But it is sad to look at this kind of technology fade away. Hope it can evolve and match other kinds of technology and formats.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: