Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:14:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 RX480 Nitro setup help  (Read 742 times)
ltcsprite (OP)

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:04:12 PM

Hi guys,

Just setup a rig with 6 RX480 nitros 4gb, currently running 22MH/s stock per card.    I installed MSI afterburner, noticed it says my driver is crimson relive 17.4.4. 

Don't I need to switch to crimson 16.2.2?   Then do I need to flash the GPU's?

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on getting more hash power out of them.

What would be my next step here?

Ty! Cool

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:48:42 PM

Hi guys,

Just setup a rig with 6 RX480 nitros 4gb, currently running 22MH/s stock per card.    I installed MSI afterburner, noticed it says my driver is crimson relive 17.4.4. 

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on getting more hash power out of them.

Ty! Cool

all depends what you want to risk, running at stock is the safest option as cards are tuned by manufactures, next option is to push up the GPU and Mem speed in after burner and see what happens and how the cards handle the extra stress and heat, then tune them back down to the point where your getting best bang for buck. you could bios mod them but honestly its not really worth it youd probably take life off the cards and void any warranty's you have. you pretty much sorted once there up and running its just time to fine tune, slowly up the clock speed then the mem speed when you start to get stability or heat issues dial them back until you see a small dip in mining speed then your at your cards peak. if your not having trouble with the drivers then i dont recommend switching as it could cause trouble, some people use older drivers because they get better hashrate but others get worse hashrates so its all hit and miss

ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:54:09 PM

Hi guys,

Ty! Cool

all depends what you want to risk, running at stock is the safest option as cards are tuned by manufactures, next option is to push up the GPU and Mem speed in after burner and see what happens and how the cards handle the extra stress and heat, then tune them back down to the point where your getting best bang for buck. you could bios mod them but honestly its not really worth it youd probably take life off the cards and void any warranty's you have. you pretty much sorted once there up and running its just time to fine tune, slowly up the clock speed then the mem speed when you start to get stability or heat issues dial them back until you see a small dip in mining speed then your at your cards peak. if your not having trouble with the drivers then i dont recommend switching as it could cause trouble, some people use older drivers because they get better hashrate but others get worse hashrates so its all hit and miss

Thanks vm, that helps.  I definitely don't plan on pushing them to the limits, Would be happy with 25-26MH/s per card.

I'm gonna go do some testing later and post some numbers on what I am getting and current settings and perhaps someone can help me optimize.

I do appreciate it. 
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 10:07:38 PM

Hi guys,

Ty! Cool

Thanks vm, that helps.  I definitely don't plan on pushing them to the limits, Would be happy with 25-26MH/s per card.

I'm gonna go do some testing later and post some numbers on what I am getting and current settings and perhaps someone can help me optimize.

I do appreciate it. 

happy to help, id start with core speed up it in 10's and see where it starts to wobble or blue screen (blue screens the card saying it refuses to go this high bugger off) im not sure if afterburner still has its auto tune feature, thats also useful if its still got it

ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 01:41:50 AM

Alright I think i've found an optimized level of settings(I hope)

Now I ran it with 4 cards only smoothly getting 96.5MH/s

turned everything off to put in the 5th card with usb riser, installed it and fired her back up

the 5th card's fans were spinning at like 80%+ even after booting up and the 5th card did not show up in device manager or MSI afterburner and the fans continued to spin. 

I shut it all down and tried to fired it up again but the PSU wouldn't start until I removed the 5th card.

Any ideas? Wondering what I may be missing.  Bios settings?

PSU is EVGA 1200w 80+ Platinum

Appreciate it.
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 01:54:50 AM

And it's not recognizing the 6th card either.   Huh

Gotta be missing something here.
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:06:20 AM

It does the same thing with either card in PCIE slot 5 or 6. 

Works great with 4 GPUs/risers installed in PCIE slots 1-4

Hopefully someone knows what can cause this.

Asrock h81 pro btc 2.0 motherboard with windows 10.   I'm stumped.
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:18:59 AM

Maybe try reset CMOS?
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:41:07 AM

Is it set to PCI-E Gen 1 in the Bios? I believe that is needed with that motherboard and 6 GPUs. You could also uninstall your AMD drivers, run DDU and then after it finishes install AMD 16.12.2 drivers (they are what Claymore recommends if you aren't modding the BIOS).
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 02:46:02 AM

Is it set to PCI-E Gen 1 in the Bios? I believe that is needed with that motherboard and 6 GPUs. You could also uninstall your AMD drivers, run DDU and then after it finishes install AMD 16.12.2 drivers (they are what Claymore recommends if you aren't modding the BIOS).

I checked earlier and it was set to Auto.

I will try it and see, right now I am just happy seeing 4 GPU's mining.  Lol.  Grin

Thanks for the help I will try these things and report back.
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:13:46 AM

Alright no luck changing to Gen 1 in the bios. 

System boots up but it does not show the 5th and 6th GPU cards in device manager or msi afterburner.   The 4 that work still show up fine.

Hmm!

May be worth a cmos reset since i've been plugging and unplugging stuff and moving cables and trying diff risers?

Will try the diff drivers 2mrw if I end up calling it a night.  Spent 8 some hours on this already today.   Welcome to mining eh.
DrX

Activity: 233
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 05:26:18 AM

Try updating bios, swap risers and test slots one by one
ph1102

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 07:26:32 AM

Try updating bios, swap risers and test slots one by one

I will suggest this also... There are so many shitty riser out there... Sad

Anyway, if you have Nitro cards (I suppose with dual bios?), why don't you do some BIOS modifications? There are plenty of good solutions on the net.. I have 2 Nitro+ cards like yours and they are running stable 27.3MH with small bios and OC changes...
Dermelon

Activity: 435
Merit: 400

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 12:57:45 PM

System boots up but it does not show the 5th and 6th GPU cards in device manager or msi afterburner.   The 4 that work still show up fine.

Hmm!

May be worth a cmos reset since i've been plugging and unplugging stuff and moving cables and trying diff risers?

Will try the diff drivers 2mrw if I end up calling it a night.  Spent 8 some hours on this already today.   Welcome to mining eh.

My Rx480 didnt show one time. After changing power cable and riser (switch another gpu), it show in device manager.
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:17:20 PM

Hmm!

My Rx480 didnt show one time. After changing power cable and riser (switch another gpu), it show in device manager.

I tried this also, tried different cables, diff GPU's, they just wont show up at all in device manager once they are in the PCIE5 or PCIE6 slot

Now I am having another issue, the computer is now freezing/seizing randomly while mining and I have to shut it down and reboot, this is with the current 4 GPU's installed, even on stock settings.

I'm at a loss at this point and so frustrated  Undecided
ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:29:02 PM

Going to try the AMD 16.12.2 drivers and report back.

ltcsprite (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 06:08:07 PM

Well I uninstalled 17.4.4 drivers with DDU and installed 16.2.2 drivers

Ran it with the 4 GPU's and seemed stable.

Added 5th GPU and to my surprise win10 now recognizes the 5th GPU and is mining with 5 GPU!

Then....

I found this..

Yikes!

No wonder..   Anyone else seen that before?  All my other riser inserts for the PCIE slots have soldering on the back of those wires.

Guess i'll order a new riser kit.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: