Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:23:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Cold Wallets  (Read 558 times)
SammI (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 03:58:52 AM

Hi,

I have seen a lot of offers for 2-3 Nano S cold wallets sold as a package. Can the same coin info be stored on each one kind of like 2 mac cards for the same account? Or say you have 10 B/Cs can they all be stored on multiple wallets or would you have to divide your coins with some on one wallet and the rest on the other? It's kind of risky business to have everything on 1 wallet if it gets lost or destroyed.

I've also noticed a rise in cold wallet prices since the latest moonshot in price.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you are able to share any info.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oxygen88

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 05:16:28 AM

Since you already decided to buy a couple of cold wallets, it would be better to store your bitcoins separately into each cold wallets, so you won't lose all your bitcoins if you lost one of your cold wallet.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 05:35:11 AM

Hi,

I have seen a lot of offers for 2-3 Nano S cold wallets sold as a package. Can the same coin info be stored on each one kind of like 2 mac cards for the same account? Or say you have 10 B/Cs can they all be stored on multiple wallets or would you have to divide your coins with some on one wallet and the rest on the other? It's kind of risky business to have everything on 1 wallet if it gets lost or destroyed.

I've also noticed a rise in cold wallet prices since the latest moonshot in price.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you are able to share any info.

You made a small mistake, you're talking about hardware wallets, not cold wallets. Maybe you can edit your title to, that way you'll get more to-the-point answers.

To answer your question: personally, i'd initialise each hardware wallet seperately, generate a seperate seed, and put 1/3th of my BTC on each ledger... However, it should be possible to initialise one ledger wallet, create a seed, and restore the other 2 wallets using this seed. This way, each wallet has controll over the same addresses (and unspent outputs), but has a different pin code.
This scenerio would come in handy if you have a business, and each partner would like to have full controll over all funds... Or if you want to give one to your wife or something...

BTW: a ledger nano S comes with a security card on which you write down your 24 word seed. If your ledger gets destroyed, you can use this seed to restore your wallet, so i wouldn't worry to much about losing or destroying your wallet... As long as you have those 24 words, you're fine Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 08:10:55 AM

It's kind of risky business to have everything on 1 wallet if it gets lost or destroyed.

Thats true, but you have to keep safe only one hardware wallet.
If you have three, you either keep them in one place (so no purpose to have 3 of them) or you must keep safe three locations where you store ur wallets.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 04:41:12 AM

Yeah, there really isn't a need to have multiple hardware wallets unless you want one as a backup in case the other is damaged. Perhaps the multipacks are for people that want to set up multi-sig wallets or designed so that you can get multiple and give the others to friends or family.
SammI (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 01:12:37 PM

Thanks To All,

I never got the Nano S wallets I ordered. I thought I had purchased 2 @130.00 each last month. Turns out it was a BS offer, so I'm glad It fell through. I'm getting 1 Nano S today ($240ish). There is a lot of good info on You Tube (Best site ever) on set up.

Mocacinno isn't kidding about hardware wallet prices. The Cryptos aren't the only things exploding in price. The Nano S was like $85.00 not that long ago. But I will sleep much better knowing I have done what I can to improve the survival chances for my coins and tokens.

A bit off topic but I'm going to build a Faraday Cage to store my Nano in. (Worried about sun spots not nukes.)   I was hoping the Nano would fit into one or 2 of those Credit Card security sleeves as a quick patch until then.

Thanks for all the experienced info. I'm doing the same with people I care about by trying to get them to invest some bucks in cryptos.
Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 04:19:50 PM

You made a small mistake, you're talking about hardware wallets, not cold wallets. Maybe you can edit your title to, that way you'll get more to-the-point answers.
agree, im using cold wallets because i can't afford hardware wallets.
this is not more or less secure, hardware wallet is more fancy and maybe easy to use.
whatever you choose, 2-3 wallets are better than one usually
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: