Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:19:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: That one Bitcoin Guy  (Read 1361 times)
Prefinem (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:18:36 PM

So, technically, I am this guy as I am the current Bitcoin goto man in the office.

It seems (and this was shown to me by someone else not into Bitcoin) that most tech offices have at least one Bitcoin guy, generally referred to as the "Crazy Bitcoin Guy".  I have talked with other people in other circles and it they also seems to have the one person that is into Bitcoin.  Does anyone else have this same experience, or is this just a fluke?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:22:03 PM

I'm definitely the bitcoin guy in our office, but the amusing part for me is when a non-bitcoin guy tries to answer people's bitcoin-related questions within earshot of me, and I can hear him getting answers quite wrong. I don't correct him, because I have work to get done and a bitcoin related argument could take hours.
Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:40:15 PM

I know the feeling so well... I end up pulling away, giving my, are you serious look and then going back.  Then they usually put the "I think" or come ask me afterwards.
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

I usually keep it on the DL, because the first time I told anyone about it, the first words out of their mouth was "How about we go in together and invest in it?"

And this was a random guy I was talking to. Creepy as hell, that was.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 10:15:58 PM

Ha ha ha... I joke about investing with the guys I work with, but it is usually in a very sarcastic way and just to mess with them.  This is of course after hour long discussions on it. (well, me telling them about it)
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 06:16:54 AM

I sometimes talk about it. Most people are a lot more interested in the setups with 6 graphics cards than the bitcoin mining, however it is something that me and my friends talk about regularly as we all do find it interesting.
Shmoopy

Activity: 71

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:29:34 AM

I'm that guy at my work. My co-workers gave me so much crap that even the brony admitted I was taking too much crap about it.

I also had a guy who traded currencies back in the 90's spend 30 minutes explaining to me how the candlestick chart on btc-e worked and how it was linked to Fibonacci numbers.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:31:36 AM

Try being that guy in a whole country. It gets difficult giving advice when the majority of questions are "Should I buy BFL?".

Shmoopy

Activity: 71

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:33:52 AM

Try being that guy in a whole country. It gets difficult giving advice when the majority of questions are "Should I buy BFL?".

How is it difficult to give advice to something like that? "No" should suffice Grin

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:53:25 AM

How is it difficult to give advice to something like that? "No" should suffice Grin

What I mean to say is, the majority of interest from outside parties these days is relative to investment rather than usage. It becomes difficult giving any advice to people once you learn they're trying to translate everything you say into investment advice.

Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:13:40 PM

And Bitcoin doesn't need any more investors.  It needs adopters.
DivineOmega

Activity: 19

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:17:34 PM

I'm without a doubt my office's Bitcoin guy. And I've actually managed to get someone interested enough to sell some to him. It was only about 0.1 Bitcoins, but it is a start. I imagine he's only in it for the speculation and to make a profit at the moment though.

I have high hopes that the increase in merchants will reduce the number of speculators and increase the number of people actively using the currency.
Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:19:46 PM

We just need more services.  If you can pay with bitcoin anywhere using your phone as a "debit card" then adoption would skyrocket
Thracky

Activity: 66

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:29:32 PM

We just need more services.  If you can pay with bitcoin anywhere using your phone as a "debit card" then adoption would skyrocket

Transaction times are a huge problem with this.  Which is sort of why you've seen some alt currencies pop up.

Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:33:55 PM

If transaction times are the only problem, all you need is a Bitcoin bank.  Something for people to store money in that gives them access to it immediately, but also, a) ensures people can spend what they have in the bank and b) help confirm transactions faster.

Then you could make purchases instantly, speed up transaction rate, and give people a way to spend bitcoin.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:44:51 PM

aaaaaaaaaahahaha

yep, that's me.
on a floor with 40 other stockbrokers.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:52:52 PM

I'm that guy at work... And at home.  Cry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:53:26 PM

Definitely at home... lol
Atopos

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:57:11 PM

One Coin to rule them all, One Coin to find them,
One Coin to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
Prefinem (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:12:33 PM

So if you combine LOTR fanaticism and Bitcoin fanaticism, what do you get?

A Gollum of bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: