Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:05:56 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Synchronization Time: Does it scale?  (Read 331 times)
Nat Philosopher (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:35:11 PM

I just fired up a new wallet yesterday, and its been synching for almost 20 hours now.
(1) Is that normal?

(2) That seems a lot longer than the last time I created a new wallet, presumably because there is so much more blockchain to read. So here's my question, assuming bitcoin is successful and there are gazillions of transactions, won't it get to where a new wallet takes weeks to load?
Isn't that a serious business hurdle for BitCoin to overcome? Or is there a technical fix?

Anyone know?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:36:20 PM

1)Yup

2)There are some plans to prune the blockchain

Anyway, you can use a lightweight wallet like Multibit

Prefinem

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

Or get a free one on blockchain.info instantly.
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:52:44 PM

I just fired up a new wallet yesterday, and its been synching for almost 20 hours now.
(1) Is that normal?

(2) That seems a lot longer than the last time I created a new wallet, presumably because there is so much more blockchain to read. So here's my question, assuming bitcoin is successful and there are gazillions of transactions, won't it get to where a new wallet takes weeks to load?
Isn't that a serious business hurdle for BitCoin to overcome? Or is there a technical fix?

Anyone know?

Unfortunately, that is normal. That is one reason I'm big on Bytecoin right now. It's a 1:1 clone of Bitcoin, so if there were enough miners and people using it, it could easily become an exchange currency with Bitcoin.

Although, that is complete and utter speculation at this point, and I think that some of the other, more innovative alt-coins have a better chance over the long term.

Still, I'm mining Bytecoin on the off-chance that it increases in value like Bitcoin and Litecoin have.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: