Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:02:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Crowdfund] Destroy my Series 1 Coin and make the rest of yours more valuable.  (Read 1556 times)
investr (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:30:02 AM

I'd like to try a little experiment.

I own a Series 1 Casascius coin, the kind that has a misprint on it. There were less than a thousand of these made, so they are very rare. You can view my precious here: http://imgur.com/gRBTiZw

The concept of this experiment is simple -- pay me to destroy this coin and thus make the rest of yours more valuable. I will post a video of the process; I'm thinking I'll start by burning the holographic sticker and finish by melting down the brass into a pool of golden oblivion on my stove. I'm open to suggestion on how to destroy it, feel free to recommend something more creative (I do have one of those latex horse masks now that I think about it).

Instead of a typical auction, this will be done as a crowdfunded project! I'd like John K to manage the process as escrow. If he is willing, instead of the typical 2% fee I would like him to take 1% and have the other 1% donated to the bitcoin forums. So I have some skin in the donation game as well, I will donate another 1% to the Bitcoin Foundation or whatever you guys vote for the most. If John K doesn't work out but there is still interest in this experiment, I will figure out another way.

This crowdfunding experiment is to end Sunday, May 5 at midnight GMT. The goal is 10 BTC, with anything less being refunded back to participants. Escrow and donation fees will be deducted from the final result. Remember, this destroys the coin forever!

Successful transactions: http://pastebin.com/GM27Ju59
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 12:35:00 AM

Can we send directly to the coin public address?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
investr (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:40:11 AM

Ahaha, that's a clever idea. However that would make any refunds from a failed project goal difficult, wouldn't it?

After reading my statement a second time, I've decided to up the donation percentages to 5% and 5%. So, John K can take whatever escrow fee he wants (0, 1, or 2%), and I will donate 5% to the bitcoin forums and another 5% to whatever is voted on. In other words, 10% of proceeds will be donated to worthy causes.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 12:50:50 AM

Ahaha, that's a clever idea. However that would make any refunds from a failed project goal difficult, wouldn't it?

After reading my statement a second time, I've decided to up the donation percentages to 5% and 5%. So, John K can take whatever escrow fee he wants (0, 1, or 2%), and I will donate 5% to the bitcoin forums and another 5% to whatever is voted on. In other words, 10% of proceeds will be donated to worthy causes.

Hmm interesting, I offer you 1 bitcoin for the coin and another for having the chance to destroy the coin myself, or not...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
investr (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:54:42 AM

If this experiment fails, then you will probably have the chance to bid on the coin via regular auction.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 01:02:25 AM

If this experiment fails, then you will probably have the chance to bid on the coin via regular auction.

Got it, good luck with your experiment  Wink

Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:11:19 AM

it's been done before, here's the video from the destruction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4eetGvQXE

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:55:38 AM

Redeem the coin, ship the coin to me, and I'll shoot the brass with a .338LM round. I won't even charge for the ammo or the resulting youtube clip.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:40:37 AM

For regular (fast) escrows and the amount is <50BTC, I usually just require a tip, not a fixed %.  Smiley
BFL and Avalon preorders on the other hand will take a couple months at worse to complete, so I am charging a fixed % to cover the time and extended risk. Good luck with  your experiment.!
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:30:45 AM

I will give you 3 BTC for the coin. (Fully intact, unredeemed)  Grin
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:35:11 AM

Redeem the coin, ship the coin to me, and I'll shoot the brass with a .338LM round. I won't even charge for the ammo or the resulting youtube clip.

I can send you a redeemed 1 btc coin from 2011

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:11:19 PM

I can send you a redeemed 1 btc coin from 2011

got a picture?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pages: [1]
  Print