Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:27:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Coin Cap  (Read 1566 times)
Blackmoon Crypto

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 10:18:28 AM

Hello everyone. I am quite new to Bitcoin, yet I do understand the basics. One of the questions I would like to be clarified is how the Bitcoin 'coins' are capped off at 21 million? What stops a hacker from just randomly creating new coins? And what is the difference between a block and a coin? Is a coin a shorter term for Bitcoin?

Good question! I believe that the Bitcoin rails are a decentralised ledger called the blockchain that is freely available in the cloud but what you can’t do is easily change it. A new block (think of it as a page in a ledger) is created every 10 minutes or so and contains all the transactions submitted by users since the last block was created. Each block has to be agreed by the community before it is added to the previous blocks, i.e. the block chain. Hope that helps!
Wayan_Pedjeng

Activity: 913
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 02:50:03 PM

If I am not wrong, then a hard fork with 95% support is needed to rise the limit of 21 million coins. And such a measure will never find more than 5% support, as doing so will reduce the value of the BTC which everyone is holding.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: