Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:19:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Bitcoins via cash deposit in the US  (Read 3592 times)
Lina.V (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:06:32 AM

Does anything like SpendBitcoins (https://www.spendbitcoins.com/buy/) cash deposit option exist in the states? It seems that with this service you simply go to the bank and deposit cash directly into SpendBitcoins bank account, no ID required.

I know BitInstant has a similar service, but via a third party that asks for ID, ya?

Is there any service in the states similar to spendbitcoins.com/buy/ that does not require showing an ID?

Thanks!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:08:03 AM

I know localbitcoins.com doesn't require an ID, but it does require you to meet up with someone in some fashion.

deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:08:55 AM

Does anything like SpendBitcoins (https://www.spendbitcoins.com/buy/) cash deposit option exist in the states? It seems that with this service you simply go to the bank and deposit cash directly into SpendBitcoins bank account, no ID required.

I know BitInstant has a similar service, but via a third party that asks for ID, ya?

Is there any service in the states similar to spendbitcoins.com/buy/ that does not require showing an ID?

Thanks!

I have never had to show an id for putting money through bank of america to bitinstant.  But I haven't used them in a while.

try btcquick.com

sve9mark

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:39:17 AM

I use Dwolla.com to transfer USD from your bank account into CampBX.com. While it does take some time (bank transfers are slow by nature), it has the lowest fees that I have seen, which is the most important factor.

Here is a rundown of the fees and time involved:
Dwolla sends small deposits to your bank account for you to verify [3-4 days, free]
Send USD to Dwolla - [4 days, free]
Once you have money in your Dwolla account, send the money to CampBX (or MT Gox) [3.5 hours, 25 cents Shocked]
Buy bitcoins with USD on CampBX [a few minutes, 0.55%]

Trading fees: CampBX = 0.55%, MT Gox= 0.60%
Lina.V (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:47:58 AM

Thanks guys, these look like good options but they all require ID of some sort, credit card, SSN, etc.

If there is an option in the states that does not involve ID or meeting a stranger somewhere I’d love to know about it!

Has anyone used BitInstant’s cash deposit service lately that can tell me if they got ID’d?
sve9mark

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:04:06 AM

Comparison of fees:

BitInstant = 1.29% for $20-$99, 0.89% $100+  Embarrassed

Dwolla = FREE for >$9, $0.25 for $9+  Grin
sve9mark

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:34:02 AM

Thanks guys, these look like good options but they all require ID of some sort, credit card, SSN, etc.

If there is an option in the states that does not involve ID or meeting a stranger somewhere I’d love to know about it!

Has anyone used BitInstant’s cash deposit service lately that can tell me if they got ID’d?

Kevin Roose from The New Yorker just wrote an article "I Bought a Bitcoin: How I Joined a Virtual Currency Megabubble" in which he uses BitInstant to buy a bitcoin with cash. He doesn't mention having to use an ID so I am not sure. The fees involved are quite high 3.99% plus $3.95
gurvy

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:41:27 AM

2nd the localbitcoins e-transfer use escrow
sve9mark

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 06:57:45 AM

I'm in the U.S.  I was asked for ID when using bitinstant for a small cash deposit to mtgox recently.  The clerk even took a photocopy of my ID.  Bitinstant has you use moneygram to send a payment to zip zap inc, then the funds are deposited into mtgox.  It seemed like a very complicated way to ultimately get bitcoins, and costly in terms of fees, but the money was in my mtgox acct in less than 15 minutes.

A side note- to get more people to adopt and use bitcoin, there needs to be a much easier and less costly way for the average person to buy bitcoins with local currency anonymously.

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about remaining anonymous when entering the bitcoin market.
Blueberry408

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

One American Sumbitch Which Love 8

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:23:03 AM

I'm in the U.S.  I was asked for ID when using bitinstant for a small cash deposit to mtgox recently.  The clerk even took a photocopy of my ID.  Bitinstant has you use moneygram to send a payment to zip zap inc, then the funds are deposited into mtgox.  It seemed like a very complicated way to ultimately get bitcoins, and costly in terms of fees, but the money was in my mtgox acct in less than 15 minutes.

A side note- to get more people to adopt and use bitcoin, there needs to be a much easier and less costly way for the average person to buy bitcoins with local currency anonymously.

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about remaining anonymous when entering the bitcoin market.
Yankee Turpitude

Feel free to send along any spare floating point remainders: 1CVTqVbqHTw35xGKfp4vmxggKdkMVwswtr
WearsMyLiberty

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 07:53:04 AM

I'm not too worried with being anonymous right now, but it would be nice.  And I definitely agree that an easy, cheap and fast way to convert between cash and bitcoin is needed to get more people to both buy and accept bitcoin.

I'm hopeful that the Bitcoin ATM works out and helps in that area...

http://www.bitcoinatm.com/

Lina.V (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:03:33 AM

What about these Mt. Gox codes? Is that just a code that represents a certain amount of USD credit at Mt. Gox?

It would be great if you could just purchase that at CVS, Walgreens, etc. but I doubt it.
Riffed

Activity: 11

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:12:02 AM

I read some posts discussing the fact that BitInstant is somewhat overwhelmed at the moment, and if you have an issue, it can take several days to get a response. Has anyone had a good/bad experience with them recently?
sve9mark

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:29:55 AM

I am not as concerned with anonymity as I am with having an easier and less costly way to exchange local currency for bitcoin.

Give me a bank like platform where I get an ATM card with a PIN number that allows me to deposit, transfer, trade or withdraw local currency or bitcoin(like a printed paper wallet) without excessive fees, and without having to deal with 4 different companies (bitinstant, moneygram, zip zap inc, and mtgox) and without a clerk wanting to photocopy my ID every time I make a deposit, and I will gladly allow them to fully identify me.

I got you. Yes, I would love that too. One day hopefully! As of right now I would say the easiest and less costly way to exchange local currency for Bitcoins is through Dwolla.com (only US Residents) and CampBX.com. It takes about a week for everything to go through but the best part is that it only costs 0.55% to buy bitcoins on CampBX and 25 cents to transfer USD through Dwolla. All you need is a bank account and your SSN. No photo ID.

I have heard that Dwolla has just changed there policy to not allow withdrawals from accounts opened less than 30 days (to prevent fraud?). My account has been open almost 20 days so I am not too concerned. If there is one thing I've learned since hearing about bitcoins, and beginning to invest in them is that patients pays off!
ofr

Activity: 5

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:32:00 AM

Thanks!

mtgox.com is the best service provide from my own experience.
sve9mark

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:51:16 AM

Thanks!

mtgox.com is the best service provide from my own experience.

I would highly recommend spreading out your bitcoins among several exchanges to reduce your risk of losing your bitcoins through being hacked, or the service being shutdown.
Gabrics

Activity: 183
Merit: 112

Just digging around

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 08:32:19 AM

Just hoping that the BTC ATMs (both way) will finally really show up...
That would the best.
babcoccl

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:36:23 PM

Check out coinbase.com, you can deposit directly from checking or savings.
sayulita

Activity: 881
Merit: 500

CyberTrade

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:04:59 PM

This is exactly what www.Bitcoin-Brokers.org does

Here is a 10,000 view thread discussing the service:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237164.0

███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                        ▀███████████████████████▀▀▀
       ▄▄██████▀▀▄▄     ▄█▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ██▀ ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄█  ▄▄████▄   ▄▄███████████▀
    ▄▄████▀▀     ██   ▄███▀▀▀▀██ ███▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██   ██▀▄▀██▀▀██     ▄▄████▀███  ███▄██▀
  ▄████▀         ██ ▄██▀█▀ ▄███ ███▄▄▄▄  ██ ▄▄█▀  ▄██  ██ ▄▄█▀   ▄██▄██▀ ▄██  ▄██▄███▄▄▄▄
 ▄███▀           ████▀ ██████▀ ██▀▀▀▀▀  ████▀▀   ▄██  █████▀ █████▀███  ▄██ ▄███▄██▀▀▀▀
████▀           ███▀  ██  ▄██ ██       ████▄    ▄██  ████▄   ▄█▀▀ ██▀  ███▄██▀ ▄██▀
████     ▄▄▄  ▄██▀   ██▄██▀▀ ███████▀  █▀  ▀█▄▄ ██   █▀  ▀█▄▄    ██▀  ███▀▀   ▀████████▀
████▄▄▄███▀ ███▀    ▀▀▀                      ▀▀█▄          ▀▀█▄ ██▀  ▀▀
 ▀█████▀▀ ███▀
.......MMO RPG Futuristic.......
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: