Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:37:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-29 Forbes: Collected Quotations Of The Dread Pirate Roberts  (Read 6288 times)
100x (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 501

Seek the truth

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:17:51 AM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/04/29/collected-quotations-of-the-dread-pirate-roberts-founder-of-the-drug-site-silk-road-and-radical-libertarian/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:45:39 AM

Wow, DPR seems to be a straight-up mises.org libertarian (with a Konkin/agorist bent (of course!)) who understands the doctrine well and has probably participated in a lot of online debate, judging from the polish of his arguments and the way he anticipates the common objections with seasoned finesse, as if he's been doing it for a long time.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:46:35 PM

That was a very interesting read. DPR seems like the real deal.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:24:18 PM

Isn't it amazing to see dprs words up on forbes in such depth.

Unthinkable just half a year ago.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:54:15 PM

Wow, intriguing and devoted read.  Thanks.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:36:02 PM

Frankly I'd like to see him as one of the official press contacts on bitcoin.org.  Wink
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:52:36 PM

Frankly I'd like to see him as one of the official press contacts on bitcoin.org.  Wink
Seconded.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:19:38 AM

Seconded.

me too!  Grin
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:12:09 AM

I haven't read much from him before. He sounds like a great guy, and a real asset to our community. Hopefully he doesn't get caught.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:12:18 AM

Interesting read, reminds me of those years I spent slowly settling into my own libertarian beliefs, mulling over the various philosophies and strategies before finding agorism/voluntarism. I haven't debated these issues in a while now, but aren't "private police", as DPR mentions, inconsistent with agorism/voluntarism? Not trying to turn this press post into a political thread, but I seem to recall voluntarism as adhering to a reputation system that punishes through withholding and ultimately through exile, rather than private police and prisons. Perhaps this distinction is what draws the line between voluntarism and anarchocapitalism.
dscotese

Activity: 444

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:02:16 AM

Thank you for posting this!

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 07:22:54 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 08:12:12 AM by mrb

Sometimes I can't help but think DPR is Satoshi. He would have created Bitcoin for the ultimate goal of creating The Silk Road.

Notice how Satoshi disappeared from the community in late 2010, and The Silk Road opened in February 2011, a surprisingly early Bitcoin adopter. DPR also obviously has a financial background and relates to Austrian economics. Both DPR and Satoshi have technical/cryptographic skillsets. One reason for Satoshi wanting to remain anonymous would be to hide his involvement with The Silk Road. Plus Satoshi always said that he is "moving to other projects" when leaving Bitcoin. Etc.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:05:27 AM

Sometimes I can't help but think DPR is Satoshi. He would have created Bitcoin for the ultimate goal of creating The Silk Road.

Notice how Satoshi disappeared from the community in late 2010, and The Silk Road opened in February 2011, a surprisingly early Bitcoin adopter. DPR also obviously has a financial background and relates to Austrian economics. Both DPR and Satoshi have technical/cryptographic skillsets. One reason for Satoshi wanting to remain anonymous would be to hide his involvement with The Silk Road. Etc.

This theory actually makes a lot of sense!

Other than that, I'm glad to see such a well-spoken freedom-loving person get so much space in a major news outlet.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 08:26:27 AM

This theory actually makes a lot of sense!

Posted to https://plus.google.com/u/0/100577178258662783679/posts/76UcUX4Py2c
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:27:54 AM

Notice how Satoshi disappeared from the community in late 2010, and The Silk Road opened in February 2011, a surprisingly early Bitcoin adopter. DPR also obviously has a financial background and relates to Austrian economics. Both DPR and Satoshi have technical/cryptographic skillsets. One reason for Satoshi wanting to remain anonymous would be to hide his involvement with The Silk Road. Plus Satoshi always said that he is "moving to other projects" when leaving Bitcoin. Etc.

Interesting theory, but I wouldn't be that sure. Satoshi looked much more reserved than DPR. The latter expresses his political ideas much more eloquently than the former.

Thanks OP for sharing and thanks Andy Greenberg for compiling this collection.

He sounds like a great guy, and a real asset to our community. Hopefully he doesn't get caught.

+1
Brushan

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:31:17 AM

+1
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 08:37:14 AM

Interesting theory, but I wouldn't be that sure. Satoshi looked much more reserved than DPR. The latter expresses his political ideas much more eloquently than the former.

Per my theory, the character of Satoshi was all a facade: he would not have wanted to disclose too much of his ideologies precisely to avoid identifying him as The Silk Road founder Smiley

PS: also notice that Satoshi is known to prefer british spelling and expressions. And DPR uses british spelling too ("labour" on page 3 of this forbes.com article).
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:52:53 AM

"I figured it out, I finally know who Satoshi is!"

"Really? Who?"

"Dread Pirate Roberts!"

"Who's that?"

"I dont know, some anomyous person or group."

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:42:20 PM

I haven't read much from him before. He sounds like a great guy, and a real asset to our community. Hopefully he doesn't get caught.
+1
A very good read indeed.

dscotese

Activity: 444

I prefer evolution to revolution.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 03:23:34 PM

There are several people whose writings and thinking seem remarkably the same as DPR.  He writes "Something that made sense, was simple, elegant and consistent in all cases. I’m talking about the Austrian Economic theory, voluntaryism, anarcho-capitalism, agorism etc."  Compare that to the stories at How I became a Voluntaryist and you'll see that there is a kind of philosophical attractor that draws every very thoughtful person toward these things.  I think DPR has gone further in that direction than I have, but I'm not sure about Satoshi.  I'd like to read more from Satoshi, though it doesn't really matter to me if the same person wears both masks.

What matters to me is that we find a way to draw more people toward this philosophical attractor.  It's why I built litmocracy and meme racing (see my sig).  And if that seems self serving, well, I can only quote DPR: "I have basic human needs that money allows me to meet so that I may devote my time to our cause. I also enjoy a few first-world pleasures that I feel I have earned, but nothing extravagant. In fact, compared to most I know, I still live quite frugally."  My wife is a different story, but she is very early on the path.

I like to provide some work at no charge to prove my valueAvoid supporting terrorism!
Satoshi Nakamoto: "He ought to find it more profitable to play by the rules."
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: