Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:47:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirmed parent  (Read 409 times)
mikie11 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 10:31:06 AM

I just dowloaded Electrum and made some test transfers to it from Blockchain. According to them fee was enough to get confirmation within 20 minutes. But now after three hours in history I see one transaction with Unconfirmed status and others with Unconfirmed parent status. What does it mean and what's the difference? And why it takes so long to confirm the transaction?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3409

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2017, 10:44:04 AM

But now after three hours in history I see one transaction with Unconfirmed status and others with Unconfirmed parent status. What does it mean and what's the difference?
Unconfirmed status - The transaction doesn't have any confirmation, or in other words hasn't been validated yet (funds aren't secure)
Unconfirmed parent status - The transaction is using funds from another transaction that doesn't have any confirmation yet (like above)

Tried to explain with easy words, hope you get the picture.

And why it takes so long to confirm the transaction?
It depends to the following reasons:

1. Low fee being used
2. Unconfirmed parent
3. No blocks being found within an hour or more (it happens sometimes, although a bit rare)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mikie11 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 11:31:09 AM

Thanks, it quite a plain explanation.
Just have another question to clarify.
I bought some test amount of bitcoins in my Blockchain wallet today via Visa card. And then transfered part of it to my Electrum wallet. Then, as I understand, the parent transaction for this transfer is buying bitcoins on Blockchain with my Visa card? So why is it regarded as not confirmed yet? It is not bitcoins to bitcoins transfer, which needs miners confirmation, it just kind of ordinary card operation, and my balance on Blockchain was loaded immediately. So why it has status of Unconfirmed?
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 3409

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2017, 12:20:36 PM

Thanks, it quite a plain explanation.
You're welcome.

Just have another question to clarify.
I bought some test amount of bitcoins in my Blockchain wallet today via Visa card. And then transfered part of it to my Electrum wallet. Then, as I understand, the parent transaction for this transfer is buying bitcoins on Blockchain with my Visa card?
Correct (assuming you don't have any other unconfirmed transactions).

So why is it regarded as not confirmed yet? It is not bitcoins to bitcoins transfer, which needs miners confirmation, it just kind of ordinary card operation, and my balance on Blockchain was loaded immediately. So why it has status of Unconfirmed?
When you purchased some test amounts through your visa card, they sent it (the bitcoin amount) to you through their own bitcoin address, in which makes it a bitcoin to bitcoin transfer, therefor it needs a confirmation before you could normally use it. Balances will always get updated instantly on blockchain but you could only use it when it has a confirmation.

Read the following thread for ways to help you sort the confirmation issue: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1802212.0
Easiest solution is to use the ViaBTC accelerator (as long as the fee is good enough): https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████