Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:49:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing the Bitcoin-QT UI  (Read 2719 times)
uMMcQxCWELNzkt (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:54:55 PM

I would like to create a redesign of the Bitcoin-Qt wallet, the changes would be relatively minimal, I would change the icons, symbols and perhaps background. I am inexperienced with Github so forking and contributing my own code is new to me. Could someone point me to where in the Bitcoin source the wallet UI is located, also will the design be coded in CSS? I realize this is not an essential upgrade however I feel a new slick, responsive design would create a professional feel. I have download the Bitcoin-master.zip from Github although I am not even sure if that is where the wallet UI code is located, I guess it is also possible the wallet is not even part of the opensource code to begin with lol.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

1. learn qt first
2. try a few designs
3. then ask for help

and no, qt ui can not be designed in css. although you can edit the icon resources.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
evilscoop

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:34:05 PM

look at walletview.cpp in the qt dir

lol @css....this aint a web app

as other posted, go learn qt Cheesy
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:40:18 PM

Even easier: use bitcoind and write your own GUI front end that connects to bitcoind's API.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:50:16 PM

If you have never done graphical interface programming before, start with making a gui like this first:
uMMcQxCWELNzkt (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:30:25 PM

look at walletview.cpp in the qt dir

lol @css....this aint a web app

as other posted, go learn qt Cheesy

Thanks for the replies and I just assumed CSS could be used on non web apps too, it looks like a basic fluid layout but i guess other languages can create the same functions. I guess I will have to learn more about coding even it is just to make changes to the UI lol.  Embarrassed
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Everything, including the GUI, is part of the open source code.

Most of the dialogs in Bitcoin-Qt are created using Qt designer (.ui xml files in src/qt/forms), which means that you can edit them using a graphical interface from the Qt Creator IDE. This is freely downloadable.

Although Qt creator is available for windows, building Bitcoin-Qt on Windows is pretty complicated due to the dependencies (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149479.0), if you want to play around with Bitcoin development I recommend using a Ubuntu VM and installing the Qt Creator package.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: