Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:01:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'SeekingAlpha' for crypto-currency investing  (Read 669 times)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2017, 07:27:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm Elias Ahonen, author of the ~300 page Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. This is a serious, semi-academic book detailing the history, specs, and other information of almost all 'physical bitcoins', that is, metallic tokens that have a theme relating to crypto-currency. The idea is that these are historical relics of the development of crypto-currencies, and worthy of collection.

Now, I want to do something new. Bitcoin has recently dropped below 50% market cap of digital currencies, and 'alt-coins' can no longer be ignored. There are plenty of people analyzing Bitcoin movements and developments, but the 40 billion dollar 'alternative' market is virtually ignored. Though there are bloggers and analysts writing about all kinds of coins, they are often in 'informal' settings like coin-specific forums or Reddit-style message boards. Serious analysis get buried, and it is difficult for unsophisticated investors to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Soon, I believe we will see a great influx of new traders looking for accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased information on this expanding asset class which now consists of over 700 'coins'. The information should thus have an air of professional analysis as opposed to casual commentary.

In my vision, this site could serve a few functions:
- A 'wiki' style info source with nearly exhaustive information on all coins, including history, relevant individuals, press mentions, clear descriptions of technology, and price history/graphing
- A platform for 'analysts' to publish vetted write-ups on various coins, in a way similar to SeekingAlpha
- The ability for users to view articles based on ticker, and also see rankings by 'resident analysts' who might rate coins as 'sell/buy/strong buy' etc. Users might be able to receive email alerts for articles posted concerning their coins of interest.

In practice, this would incorporate many of the functions of CoinMarketCap, though with much more than just numerical information.

I am seeking:
- Analysts: This is your opportunity to make a name and reputation for yourself as an investment analyst in this space
- Researchers: Those with a passion for crypto-coins who can record everything about them into a dedicated wiki
- Web dev: someone with the ability to create a website with some of these functions
- Anyone else who feels they can contribute

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GTTIGER

Activity: 527
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:11:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm Elias Ahonen, author of the ~300 page Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. This is a serious, semi-academic book detailing the history, specs, and other information of almost all 'physical bitcoins', that is, metallic tokens that have a theme relating to crypto-currency. The idea is that these are historical relics of the development of crypto-currencies, and worthy of collection.

Now, I want to do something new. Bitcoin has recently dropped below 50% market cap of digital currencies, and 'alt-coins' can no longer be ignored. There are plenty of people analyzing Bitcoin movements and developments, but the 40 billion dollar 'alternative' market is virtually ignored. Though there are bloggers and analysts writing about all kinds of coins, they are often in 'informal' settings like coin-specific forums or Reddit-style message boards. Serious analysis get buried, and it is difficult for unsophisticated investors to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Soon, I believe we will see a great influx of new traders looking for accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased information on this expanding asset class which now consists of over 700 'coins'. The information should thus have an air of professional analysis as opposed to casual commentary.

In my vision, this site could serve a few functions:
- A 'wiki' style info source with nearly exhaustive information on all coins, including history, relevant individuals, press mentions, clear descriptions of technology, and price history/graphing
- A platform for 'analysts' to publish vetted write-ups on various coins, in a way similar to SeekingAlpha
- The ability for users to view articles based on ticker, and also see rankings by 'resident analysts' who might rate coins as 'sell/buy/strong buy' etc. Users might be able to receive email alerts for articles posted concerning their coins of interest.

In practice, this would incorporate many of the functions of CoinMarketCap, though with much more than just numerical information.

I am seeking:
- Analysts: This is your opportunity to make a name and reputation for yourself as an investment analyst in this space
- Researchers: Those with a passion for crypto-coins who can record everything about them into a dedicated wiki
- Web dev: someone with the ability to create a website with some of these functions
- Anyone else who feels they can contribute

Cool stuff, watching Smiley

Uptrenda

Activity: 114
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 06:06:27 AM

Well as far as information goes I can't really think of a single source that's up to date on technology developments in the space so a wiki for that would be very useful.

Given that there are so many coins in existence if it's going to be useful for investors how are you going to sort out the gold from the derivative crap coins?

By the way: you'll need to reach out to a lot more people if you want this project to be successful
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 03:52:47 PM

Well as far as information goes I can't really think of a single source that's up to date on technology developments in the space so a wiki for that would be very useful.

Given that there are so many coins in existence if it's going to be useful for investors how are you going to sort out the gold from the derivative crap coins?

By the way: you'll need to reach out to a lot more people if you want this project to be successful

Thanks for the encouragement. It's really quite amazing how little up to date information there is. Even on Wikipedia there is a 'list of crypto currencies' and it has like 3 dozen entries and is years old.
I have had about 10 future analysts reach out to me, which I think is a great start.

As for the separation of good coins from 'shitcoins', I think that a good policy is to not purposefully 'ban' the mention of any coin.. instead, all mentions would need to present factual information. There could be a way for analysts to rate coins on a 1-5 scale on things like vision, community, development team, marketing, etc. These types of ratings might be a good indicator of which coins have any legitimacy.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
LittleBitFunny

Activity: 1428
Merit: 129

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 08:30:43 PM

As for the separation of good coins from 'shitcoins', I think that a good policy is to not purposefully 'ban' the mention of any coin.. instead, all mentions would need to present factual information. There could be a way for analysts to rate coins on a 1-5 scale on things like vision, community, development team, marketing, etc. These types of ratings might be a good indicator of which coins have any legitimacy.

Objectivity is hard to achieve.  Often wikis will have an element of opinion when they require more than basic statistics like Coinmarketcap.

You could always have different sections in which coins are ranked by different characteristics such as market cap, age, transaction volume and anything that could indicate the use of a coin beyond low liquidity trading.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: