Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new miner after s9?  (Read 790 times)
longasleep (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:28:58 PM

seeing bitmain is very busy with there l3+ it seems.
im wondering if they at all interested in bitcoin miners at the moment.
anyone think there is a chance of a s9+ or a s11 any time soon?
kinda want to invest into new bitcoin mining gear =D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:49:01 AM

s9+ with different hash/and watt ratio could be possible, but usually these stuff are done immediately not more than one year after the release of the original miner

like wasfor the s5 if i'm not mistaken, the s5+ version was released not long time after the release of the s5, the s11 make sense only with 10nm at this point, which can't happen before the next year
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 09:04:51 AM

You are mistaken.

The S5+ was released less than 2 months before the S7 was - it appears to have been a "trial setup" for what eventually became Bitmain's new "form factor" and cooling setup for their miners, as the S5+ was their first "3 boards in one box" and "small HS glued to the chips" miner that the S7 and later S9/T9 followed (then the L3+ went 4 board in one box, but those chips apparently run cool enough they could put smaller HS on them).

There won't be an S11 for a while.
 10nm (TSMC) or 7nm (GF) needs to hit production and probably settle down and get the reliability up some from initial days before Bitmain will see ANY foundry capacity available to them on the new nodes, and that's gonna be another couple years most likely.
 AMD is only talking about 7nm for 2020, and they with IBM have FIRST CALL on GF capacity.
 Also keep in mind that Intel uses ALL of their foundry capacity internally, so their process doesn't tend to be available to anyone else except sometimes some "close partner" companies - which definitely does NOT include Bitmain.

I could see the possibility of a S9+ or an S9 Lite at some point - though it can be argued that the R4 is a "S9 lite" already in most ways.

I DID find the recent introduction of their new Scrypt Router interesting in a LOT of respects - they might be having "availability" issues on the L3+ chip so they decided to take the few they had left and put them into a higher-margin product to max out revenue 'till they CAN get more chips in.
 On the other hand, they didn't introduce their SHA256 Router 'till the S5 (which used the same miner chip) was out of production or almost so, which has some potential interesting implications for the L3+ chip/miner....

Gotta wonder how worried Bitmain is about the pending ASICBOOST "cease and desist or get sued" issue, and how it's affecting their timeframe on when to get stuff out.
 Perhaps they're working on a new chip that doesn't infringe, and are trying to push out all the old stuff ASAP?

If they DO put out new non-infringing chips, gotta wonder of the miners with those chips will get new names or not.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: