Bitcoin Forum
August 21, 2018, 10:48:50 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.2  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis - Merited on multiple Subsections and the Correlation Matrix  (Read 131 times)
DdmrDdmr

Activity: 224
Merit: 696

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile
Today at 10:44:39 AM
Merited by Foxpup (12), TMAN (10), Welsh (5), SFR10 (5), Heisenberg_Hunter (2), theyoungmillionaire (2), iasenko (1), coinlocket$ (1), Alone055 (1), vphasitha01 (1), Retty (1)

1.   Introduction.

A couple of days ago, there was a discussion going on related to whether people are being awarded sMerit solely on a specific section/topic, and how that seems unfair. While many of us would like to be Satoshi alike, the fact is that sMerit is meant to be awarded to any post we find contribute, be it on the topic it may be. It’s up to the awarder’s criteria.
Every individual has his own skillset (some strong, some weak at best), and we do not all converge on them, less of all on being highly knowledgeable on Bitcoin. In a company that produces shoes, only a subset of the employees will have any idea as to how to design them, but everyone knows how to wear them. The same applies here in terms of Bitcoin knowledge, and although it is improvable for all, only a specific set of people will really master it enough to be able to contribute with a depth charge of knowledge.

In fact, as can be seen on the Merit Dashboard (go to the Tab labelled “Section Subsection”), the Bitcoin aggregate section receives only around 9% of all the sMerit that has been awarded). There are multiple reasons behind this fact, but that is not the real objective of this post.

What the discussion got me to wonder is the following:

a)   How many people receive sMerit on how many forum subsection (i.e. how many are capable of being merited on more than one subsection, and who excels on multiple subsections).

b)   For a given forum subsection where people are merited, what other subsections correlate through those same people (a kind of correlation matrix).

2.   Forum members Merited on Multiple subsections.

The idea here is to see a summary of the number of subsections forum members (all ranks considered) have been merited on. By subsection I’m considering the main level of subsections I’ve used on previous occasions (Altcoin Discussion, Announcements (Altcoins), Marketplace (Altcoins), Mining (Altcoins), Speculation (Altcoins), Bitcoin Discussion, Bitcoin Technical Support, Development & Technical Discussion, Mining, Project Development, Deleted, Economics, Marketplace, Trading Discussion, Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Indian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Other Languages, Philippines, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Skandinavisk, Spanish, Turkish, Archival, Beginners & Help, Meta, Off-topic, Politics & Society, Serious discussion). There are 41 subsections, 22 of which are local languages.

I’ve first created the distribution for all merited users, and then restricted it to those that have received >= 10 sMerits for comparison reasons.
Posts that have been deleted cannot count in any section, but I’ve also included a count of those that have received sMerit exclusively on deleted posts, which is an area of interest on its own.

Things that standout:

a)   27 people have been merited on 10 or more subsections. That is a very difficult achievement, which implies a good knowledge in multiple areas as well as communication skills. This feat is in the hands of the following:
Code:
user_id   Name                          nSubSections
35        theymos                       14
1059082   hugeblack                     14
234771    suchmoon                      13
1554927   bitmover                      13
375981    OmegaStarScream               13
1564795   Heisenberg_Hunter             12
257071    NeuroticFish                  12
459836    LoyceV                        12
155345    gentlemand                    12
194811    vit05                         12
370611    bill gator                    12
1237156   nc50lc                        11
334783    seoincorporation              11
507856    LeGaulois                     11
358020    Quickseller                   11
1112531   Steamtyme                     11
698159    Jet Cash                      11
1069508   aleksej996                    11
143168    TheQuin                       11
1339716   coinlocket$                   10
557989    BTCforJoe                     10
1291828   iasenko                       10
557798    TryNinja                      10
1634314   shahzadafzal                  10
1432468   mdayonliner                   10
101872    Lauda                         10
1738107   Seetheummerallyeah            10

The list with the actual subsections where the above have been merited can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EzhU2vE5oRxPaVi8-2Cw7wb4CzoG5H1TY26uNcD8Cas/edit?usp=sharing (first tab). Each person has his own mix of subsections that contribute to his total received sMerit with different weight. I’ve included the column PMerit (percentage of Merit) to show this.  
It’s interesting to note that 13 out of the 27 people listed have been merited on a local board. Local boards are rather endogenous when it comes to merit as well see further down.

Edit: Just created a third Tab on the spreadsheet with the Rank and number of merited subsections for all merited users.

b)   The vast majority (74%) of people have only been awarded sMerit in one subsection, and 12,85% have in two subsections. The former amount is logical, due to the large amount of people that have been awarded a single merit.

c)   For those awarded >= 10 sMerits, 55,90% have been on a single subsection, and 20,61% on two.

d)   The total exclusively deleted is 985 people (5,26% of those merited), having 124 of those  received >= 10 sMerits. This set of users have gained every single sMerit on what are now deleted posts!

I guess a list in mandatory here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EzhU2vE5oRxPaVi8-2Cw7wb4CzoG5H1TY26uNcD8Cas/edit?usp=sharing (second tab)

3.   Subsection correlation matrix.

This has been a toughie. What I’ve done here is, for each subsection, determine the number of forum members that have been awarded sMerit for posts in the subsection. Then, I’ve analysed for each of them, in what other forum subsections they’ve also been merited in.
The idea behind is to see the correlation of sMerit between subsections, based on where the people are being merited. This should tell us the subsection affinity of the merited users. The less exclusive (see later on) a merited subsection is, the more we can see correlations to other subsections on the forum.

Since the number of subsections is large, I have grouped all the Local sections into one, thus simplifying by nearly half the matrix, and on the premise that correlation between subsections is very small. I’ve also brought “Deleted” to the table as a virtual subsection due to its weight.

The result is the following table:

I’ve highlighted the top three percentages for each row (excluding the deleted column). I’ve also got the absolute value table, but the one displayed in percentages is better suited here.

Example of interpretation:

Altcoin Discussion has 2.158 merited people (11,52% of all merited profiles), 944 of which are exclusively merited just in this subsection and no other (43,74% of the 2.158 people).
Out of those merited here, 15,62% have also been merited on Bitcoin Discussion, 15,34% on a Local Board, and 13,44% in the Economics subsection. Only 0,32% have been merited in the Bitcoin Mining subsection. A fact aside is that 22,34% of these people have also been merited on a post that has now been deleted.

Table is best read by rows.

Things that are interesting:

a)   Column nMeritedUsers indicates how many distinct users have been merited in that subsection (not the total sMerit they received), and % Distinct Users the percentage of all merited users.  
It’s interested to see that 38,05% of merited users are merited on local boards, albeit with low sMerit values (seen on previous analysis). On the other end of the scale, Bitcoin Technical Support has only 0,86% of all merited users merited there (archival is lower, but it’s not really a proper subsection).

b)   Column nExclusiveUsers (or deleted) indicates how many of those users have received their sMerit solely on a given Subsection. If the user has also got deleted posts, I do not count these here as a separate subsection, and thus consider that the sMerits are awarded exclusively to a single exclusive subsection.

Column %Subsection specifies the percentage of exclusive users in relation to all the merited users in the subsection.
80,89% of Local merited users are merited exclusively on local boards. Ann Altcoin is also a very closed circle (71,17%) and so are the mining subsections (68,90% mining altcoins and 63,86% mining in the Bitcoin section). On the other hand, subsections belonging to the Other section are less exclusive.

c)   16,36% of merited people have at least been merited on one post that has later been deleted. Out of those, nearly a third has been merited exclusively for what are now deleted posts, as seen before.

d)   Correlations that stand-out (summarized by Section):

-   Altcoin subsections have a strong correlation to local boards, as well as to the other Alternate Cryptocurrencies subsections.

-   Bitcoin subsections correlate more to Marketplace, Bitcoin Discussion and Meta.

-   Deleted virtual subsection correlates most to Local boards as well as Bitcoin and Altcoin discussions.

-   Economics section correlates best to Bitcoin Discussion, Marketplace, Trading and Meta.

-   Local Sections correlate more to Altcoin and Meta (although not much, since they are rather endogenic).

-   Other section components correlate best to Meta, Bitcoin Discussion, and Marketplace.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
mdayonliner

Activity: 266
Merit: 262

http://bit.ly/BTCLoan

View Profile WWW
Today at 12:05:48 PM
Merited by Vod (1)

Nice work mate. There are very few people on the forum who can play around with data like you. Fantastic effort.

PS: I am really happy to see me on the list which eventually proves that mdayonliner is not someone who talks about merit only LOL
Things that standout:

a)   27 people have been merited on 10 or more subsections. That is a very difficult achievement, which implies a good knowledge in multiple areas as well as communication skills. This feat is in the hands of the following:
Code:
user_id   Name                          nSubSections
1432468   mdayonliner                   10

The list with the actual subsections where the above have been merited can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EzhU2vE5oRxPaVi8-2Cw7wb4CzoG5H1TY26uNcD8Cas/edit?usp=sharing (first tab). Each person has his own mix of subsections that contribute to his total received sMerit with different weight.

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██

█
      ██
     ██
   ██ ██
 █ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
  B

▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄▄████████████▄▄
   ▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄
  ████▀            ▀████
 ████                ████
▐███                  ███▌
███▌                  ▐███
▐███           ▄▄     ███▌
 ████         ▀███▄  ▐███
  ████▄         ▀███▄███
   ▀█████▄▄     ▄█████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀
T 
Better. Quick.

Transparent.

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
███████████████▀       ████
██████████████      ▄▄▄████
██████████████    ▐████████
██████████            ▐████
██████████            █████
▀█████████████    ▐███████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌
bitmover

Activity: 210
Merit: 380

View Profile
Today at 12:56:46 PM

Your data analysis is amazing ddmr.

I am happy to see I participate in many boards. I didn't know that other users are used to visit only few boards.

There are many boards which I ignore completely, such as mining, reputation, scam accusations, gambling, etc...

Your post is a good incentive to try to visit other boards and change posting habits

Alone055

Activity: 210
Merit: 51

View Profile
Today at 01:44:21 PM

Amazing analysis!
I personally always try to take part in discussions from almost every other section/subsection of the forum, but as you said, not all of us have enough knowledge to contribute useful opinions everywhere. Though some times I skip sections because of the excessive spam in there, as I don't want to get into the eyes of people as a spammer.

hugeblack

Activity: 420
Merit: 321

Avatar 4 rent / Sig Designer https://goo.gl/34QBYf

View Profile WWW
Today at 01:55:21 PM

You make a lot of effort in these analyzes; I hope your analysis will contribute to make this forum a better place.
Maybe you can do the same thing to know who are giving merits to Subsections "help to choose merit sources."

Code:
user_id   Name                          nSubSections
35        theymos                       14
1059082   hugeblack                     14
Cool

DdmrDdmr

Activity: 224
Merit: 696

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile
Today at 03:33:09 PM
Merited by Welsh (2)

<…>
You’re becoming a usual on my recent stats. That’s two out of two you’ve shown up on a highlighted list!
By the way, I’ve just added a third tab to the spreadsheet with the Rank and number of merited subsections for all merited users (thanks to @ theyoungmillionaire for the idea).

<…> Your post is a good incentive to try to visit other boards and change posting habits
Yes, that is on my to do list too, since I’ve only been merited in 5 subsections myself. Way more space for knowledge here on the forum.

<…>
Yes, spam is kind of terrible on the Bitcoin subsections for example, but I persist on (only for now) reading there. The basically spam-free are the more technical subforums, better for reading than other subforums, but rather more challenging.

<…>
Maybe you can do the same thing to know who are giving merits to Subsections "help to choose merit sources."
I did! See User's sMerit Network size – Data to select possible Merit Sources . I also included it as part of the Merit Dashboard to keep it up-to-date (Tab labelled Potential Merit Sources).

Finding a potential source (excluding current ones) is just one of the parts to the equation. It is just as hard to determine exactly where there is a lack of merit sources, and that is necessarily complemented with post content exploration, raising voices (backed by lots of real examples) where merit sources are required, and possibly a strategic vision.

For example, a given Subsection/Local Board may seem under-merited, and we may even find a few candidates numerically (pending manual whitelisting), but the number of unmerited posts in the subsection needs to be visually assessed by someone/a team in order to certify that a merit source is in fact required. That along with a cross reference to sMerit evolution in the subsection over time.
Heisenberg_Hunter

Activity: 238
Merit: 120

View Profile
Today at 07:25:26 PM

Code:
user_id           Name                          nSubSections
1564795      Heisenberg_Hunter                       12
Ah, It was strange to see myself in your list. I randomly open up all the boards every morning, and just read through them. Though I don't post often, I read a lot from various subsections(the latest one getting added is the Mining(altcoins)).

Bitcoin (Mining) section seems to be a dangerous board and I haven't made a single post out there. Unless we are really very familiar about mining and the mining equipment, we shouldn't post there. The mods are pretty strict out there and spam posting would lead us to the posts getting deleted more often or at times would get us banned too.

And I do hunt for some good tech based threads(which is literally very difficult) in the frog pond(Altcoin Discussion) which has helped a lot more people. Though I have requested a separate board for Altcoin Tech Discussion, I don't think it would happen as most of the users argue that it is a bitcoin forum.

iasenko

Activity: 294
Merit: 383

Vod's BTT Public Information Project - bpip.org

View Profile WWW
Today at 08:07:20 PM

I don't need to repeat myself every time but man, this is great analysis, thanks. You deserve every single merit you got til now, don't listen to those who complain, they envy you.

Seems like the majority of those 27 have acquired the most merits in the meta section and this is not surprising as this was the "hottest" subject for the last couple of months.

I'm happy to see that just a bit more than the half of my merits (63%) are collected in meta, and big part of the rest are in the Beginners & Help (28%). So I'm on the right way in helping the community.I'm satisfied.

I can't wait to see your next idea. Really like surplices Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.