Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:47:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any smart people who can evaluate this?  (Read 395 times)
Fatoshi (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:55:49 PM

https://medium.com/@xxxxxxxddfeutt/how-the-xtrabytes-blockchain-works-69979081bf42

I've tried to ask before but just got FUD or a few yeaaaaah awesome go to the moon etc.

Anyone with real crypto knowledge able to tell me if this is gong to work and how great this would be if pulled off? I don't expect anyone to run through the code, just if the concept is sound or not.
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 03:06:55 PM

https://medium.com/@xxxxxxxddfeutt/how-the-xtrabytes-blockchain-works-69979081bf42

I've tried to ask before but just got FUD or a few yeaaaaah awesome go to the moon etc.

Anyone with real crypto knowledge able to tell me if this is gong to work and how great this would be if pulled off? I don't expect anyone to run through the code, just if the concept is sound or not.

I haven't looked into Xtrabytes in details at this point but it's just a gimmick. That article starts off saying P2P is not the best and they're going to have a Chord network. Guess what. Chord is just one of several protocols for P2P networks. So it's just a gimick to make people that don't know better think it's some how revolutionary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(peer-to-peer)

Couple other things from that article.

If they have in fact come up with something that solves many of the POW and POS issues with their POSign, then yes, that could be a very big thing. But until you get many of the real cryptographers to review it and give their analysis of it, there's no way to know.

That article says Masternodes are involved. When I hear that, I immediately know it's not trustless and has the risk of those being shut down someday. If the network needs those nodes in order to do anything, then it's point of failure and a risk. Given what I watched happen with spammers and hosting in the earlier days of the internet, its just a matter of time before all coins using some sort of masternodes starts getting shut down and pushed into a few of countries that you would never trust. Frankly, if POSign is great, I don't have a clue why anyone would throw in masternodes unless their only interested in the cash they generate. No one that is serious about crypto curency views masternodes in a favorable light.

Again though, I don't know all the details of the coin but from what i do know, I would rate it as just a coin to perhaps "day trade" but not long term invest.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
Fatoshi (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 03:38:19 PM

I haven't looked into Xtrabytes in details at this point but it's just a gimmick. That article starts off saying P2P is not the best and they're going to have a Chord network. Guess what. Chord is just one of several protocols for P2P networks. So it's just a gimick to make people that don't know better think it's some how revolutionary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(peer-to-peer)

Couple other things from that article.

If they have in fact come up with something that solves many of the POW and POS issues with their POSign, then yes, that could be a very big thing. But until you get many of the real cryptographers to review it and give their analysis of it, there's no way to know.

That article says Masternodes are involved. When I hear that, I immediately know it's not trustless and has the risk of those being shut down someday. If the network needs those nodes in order to do anything, then it's point of failure and a risk. Given what I watched happen with spammers and hosting in the earlier days of the internet, its just a matter of time before all coins using some sort of masternodes starts getting shut down and pushed into a few of countries that you would never trust. Frankly, if POSign is great, I don't have a clue why anyone would throw in masternodes unless their only interested in the cash they generate. No one that is serious about crypto curency views masternodes in a favorable light.

Again though, I don't know all the details of the coin but from what i do know, I would rate it as just a coin to perhaps "day trade" but not long term invest.

Ok thanks for your comments. I was kind of looking for more if the concept would actually work or not, maybe I'm asking for the impossible and have to wait it out. Also its understood CHORDS is not an 'invention' of the projects just the implementation in crypto. I wouldn't go too hard on the article it was just cut and paste from a community member who wanted to put some of the developers comments together onto one page. Also I'm not sure the master nodes act exactly like master nodes as they are kind of hardwired in as I understand and I believe the have a role also in hosting the storage and other services that will be built on top. Actually I'm not technical enough to comment, hence the thread.

Maybe i'll shut this down until we get a white paper if i'm asking the impossible. Anyway thanks for your 2 cents.
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 03:53:03 PM

Also I'm not sure the master nodes act exactly like master nodes
If they are required to run the network, then they're a point of failure. That's assuming of course, they are just like masternodes in other coins. If they're something else completely but for some reason they're using the term masternodes, then if could very well be ok.

And yep, it's always good to review a white paper. Not just for information on how it will all work, but a white paper that's written more as a marketing tool tells you a lot as well. A "real" white paper will include a whole lot of technical content with a variety of formulas, analysis of attack vectors etc.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
kubricktrader

Activity: 384
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 04:01:45 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2017, 04:12:04 PM by kubricktrader

Also I'm not sure the master nodes act exactly like master nodes
If they are required to run the network, then they're a point of failure. That's assuming of course, they are just like masternodes in other coins. If they're something else completely but for some reason they're using the term masternodes, then if could very well be ok.

And yep, it's always good to review a white paper. Not just for information on how it will all work, but a white paper that's written more as a marketing tool tells you a lot as well. A "real" white paper will include a whole lot of technical content with a variety of formulas, analysis of attack vectors etc.

Yeah they aren't actually using masternodes, they are called STaTicS. Not sure the developer got the memo on different sized letters looks silly. But yeah they are Static nodes are hardwired? Later if someone wants to sell them they there will be system to swap to new user. I don't know how this works, dont ask.

The white paper will come. Its not a normal development process as it was a fork of a scam only a couple of months ago. So they are busy moving to new clean chain and actually doing the coding before the white paper. I guess its around the wrong way but most projects have an incubation period before they announce but this just wasn't possible, its all moving in real time with the design still in flux to some extent.  Plus the developer is a Hungarian with very patchy English and is Deaf!!

On a positive note he supposedly worked with and knew quite well Peter Szor the famous internet security developer at McAFEE....its actually this that makes me think he probably knows how to make something secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: