Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:00:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Just sent LTC to ETH address.  (Read 2388 times)
spinbox (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 06:07:32 AM

I think I just did something really stupid and sent a bunch of Litecoins to my Ethereum address by mistake.  I checked my GDAX account where they are outgoing and there's no LTC transaction hash like all my other withdrawals.

Anyone know if these can be recovered?  If the address wasn't valid where would they even go?  Just disappear?

I already wrote Coinbase support, and waiting for their reply.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 06:31:18 AM

how did you even succeed in doing that! Shocked
it is literary impossible to do so because a litecoin address is starting with the letter L
for example: LWdfXUxLBV9nCJ6yk5Ed2pBNhiV7kTaTQJ
and there is a checksum in the address that any wallet uses to verify if the address is valid before letting the user to send anything.

at the same time ethereum addresses are called accounts and start with the hex mark 0x
for example: 0xde0B295669a9FD93d5F28D9Ec85E40f4cb697BAe and don't have checksum so if you put that in the withdrawal address of a litecoin wallet it will reject it.

so unless i am missing something since i am not completely familiar with ETH that is coinbase's fault for not validating the address before allowing you to withdraw.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
spinbox (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 06:40:43 AM

Ok, so I just ran a test with weird results.  I tried to do it again with a small amount of .001 LTC and send it to my ETH address. It errored out and said I couldn't send it.  However, the .001 did subtract from my account total.

I don't recall getting an error the first time though.  Ugh, I hope Coinbase support can answer me quickly tomorrow.  I'm kinda stressing since this is 400 LTC lost and I'm gonna be so pissed if I can't get them back.
crypticj

Activity: 873
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 07:34:36 AM

Ok, so I just ran a test with weird results.  I tried to do it again with a small amount of .001 LTC and send it to my ETH address. It errored out and said I couldn't send it.  However, the .001 did subtract from my account total.

I don't recall getting an error the first time though.  Ugh, I hope Coinbase support can answer me quickly tomorrow.  I'm kinda stressing since this is 400 LTC lost and I'm gonna be so pissed if I can't get them back.

good luck my experience with gdax and coin base support was horrible lost almost $1200 worth of coins sent gdax ethereum account and they said they cannot access it or access individual keys for safety reasons... even though the address is assigned to me.

your situation seems different i am sure they will be able to help.
spinbox (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 07:49:26 AM

What if I did something like just not copy the full wallet address I was sending too?  Maybe I missed the last character or something?  Wouldn't that error out?
spinbox (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 03:43:53 PM

Is there anyone who can calm my fears if I sent coins to a wrong address?  Stressed AF right now.   I've literally sent hundreds of transactions, but this big one I messed up.  If it never hit a proper valid LTC address it must be recoverable right?
crypticj

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:34:23 PM

Is there anyone who can calm my fears if I sent coins to a wrong address?  Stressed AF right now.   I've literally sent hundreds of transactions, but this big one I messed up.  If it never hit a proper valid LTC address it must be recoverable right?

Yes don't be afraid coinbase and gdax support is backed up it takes them average of 2 days to respond your LTC will be recoverable it seems the system just auto debit your account but they will be recovered. please share with us the outcome.
spinbox (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 04:42:01 PM

Thank you.  Yes, will definitely provide an update with the details of what happened when they respond.
spinbox (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 07:53:52 AM

Turns out I had the correct LTC address the whole time.  Gdax responded they were slow at processing transactions, so the send of Litecoins took about 26 hours.  That's pretty absurd.
crypticj

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 08:29:07 AM

Turns out I had the correct LTC address the whole time.  Gdax responded they were slow at processing transactions, so the send of Litecoins took about 26 hours.  That's pretty absurd.

yep strange.
letsrock31

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:21:48 PM

Hi Guys,

Please help -

I wrongly sent my ETH via an Exchange to my BTC Address in Blockchain. Please suggest how do i retrieve my ETH or what's gonna happen now?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: