Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:00:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Ledger wallet incorporate the private key of physical Bitcoin ?  (Read 1123 times)
CosmicVibe (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 08:22:03 PM

Hi ! and sorry if that question might be silly , but I'm still strugling to understand if a Ledger wallet could display the amount of a said funded coin ? And possibly control the transactions between it ?

Sorry but I'm still new in this world...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:16:07 AM

Hi ! and sorry if that question might be silly , but I'm still strugling to understand if a Ledger wallet could display the amount of a said funded coin ? And possibly control the transactions between it ?

It should do it, the Ledger Nano S has the feature to import private keys as far as I know. I guess you are talking about importing the private key from a physical funded bitcoin ? Anyway the Electrum wallet lets you do that, import private keys and I am sure about Electrum but Legder Nano S should do it too since it is compatible with Electrum.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 08:23:52 AM

It should do it, the Ledger Nano S has the feature to import private keys as far as I know. I guess you are talking about importing the private key from a physical funded bitcoin ? Anyway the Electrum wallet lets you do that, import private keys and I am sure about Electrum but Legder Nano S should do it too since it is compatible with Electrum.

I'm not sure about this... Ledger nano S is a HD wallet, it means it's deterministic, so it derives private keys from an xprv.
By defenition, a "thirth party" private key can not be derived from the same xprv.
I think, theoretically, it should be possible to generate a wallet that uses a seed to generate an xprv and derives new private keys from this xprv AND allows you to import "random" private keys... However, i don't think such a wallet exists at the moment (AFAIK). Such a wallet would combine two completely different methods, and just share the functions to scan for new unspent outputs and generate transactions...

In electrum, you have 2 kinds of wallets: a HD wallet can not import private keys, it can sweep wallets tough. When sweeping a private key into a HD wallet, what happens is: a new private key => public key => address is generated deterministically using the xprv. Then, electrum generates a new transaction using all unspent outputs controlled by the swept private key and generates a new transaction using all these unspent outputs as input, and it generates one new output, one that can be spent by the newly generated address.

A non-HD electrum wallet does not use an prv to derive new private keys/public keys/addresses, it just imports "random" private keys and keeps track of their unspent outputs.

AFAIK, when coupling a ledger nano S to electrum, it's always a HD wallet, so you cannot import new private keys, merely sweep them.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CosmicVibe (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 08:49:31 PM

I guess you are talking about importing the private key from a physical funded bitcoin ?

Yes, a silver wallet more precisely.

@mocacinno , thanks for the insight !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: