Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:05:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm buying these parts  (Read 1033 times)
cooltobe (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:44:02 PM

hey all ,

this will be my 1st rig ,and i'm going for these parts ..and i'm thinking mostly litecoins :/

phillyj

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:12:42 PM

ditch the bulldozer and get a sempron. I think you only need 4 gb RAM also. Hmm, litecoin too? I am not sure but 4gb RAM is probably fine for LTC too.

Won't you want to upgrade the PSU a bit? Maybe get a gold rated? How much do the 3x7950 need in power?
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:58:35 PM

Won't you want to upgrade the PSU a bit? Maybe get a gold rated? How much do the 3x7950 need in power?

a 7950 can pull anything from 100W/card to over 300W easily, all depends on what voltage you decide to run them at. My 4x7950 rigs for example only pulls about 600W at stock frequency and 0.875V.
cooltobe (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:01:16 PM

a 7950 can pull anything from 100W/card to over 300W easily, all depends on what voltage you decide to run them at. My 4x7950 rigs for example only pulls about 600W at stock frequency and 0.875V.

truly helpful  ,

a 50$ difference isnt much for the cpu i think

phillyj

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:11:55 PM

truly helpful  ,

a 50$ difference isnt much for the cpu i think

It's more than price. Your 6100 will be drawing more power and generating more heat. Save $$ on CPU/RAM and and get a better PSU.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:45:57 PM

Not many 7950's come unlocked these days though.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:42:00 PM

Do yourself a massive favor and get an HIS (w/iceq) or a sapphire (w/vaporX) those gigabyte cards a craptacular re:convection off the backside.

cooltobe (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:01:37 PM

Do yourself a massive favor and get an HIS (w/iceq) or a sapphire (w/vaporX) those gigabyte cards a craptacular re:convection off the backside.

personal experience ? ,this kind of info is what i need .

notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 03:19:36 AM

ditch the bulldozer and get a sempron. I think you only need 4 gb RAM also. Hmm, litecoin too? I am not sure but 4gb RAM is probably fine for LTC too.

Just so you know, I use about 1.5 gigs or RAM for each one of my 7970's.  This being the case, you will probably need more than 4 gigs or RAM.

On a separate note, you might want to choose a different 7950.  The windforce coolers are pretty good at keeping the cards cool, but they are locked.  You can get say a sapphire 7950 for the same price and have the ability to undervolt (or overvolt if that's what your looking to do)

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:23:22 AM

Yes I picked up 4 of them recently and was extremely disappointed - the back of the cards heat up to the point that literally radiate heat off the back end in such amounts that it effectively cooks whatever's behind it.

I did end up getting 2 of them working allright in a board with 4x pcie - by loading them in the 1st and 4th slot... (the cpu in that one has water cooling so that's the only way I could get one to work in the top slot) when I tried single card in other systems they ended up overheating the cpu.

I also tried extending cables on one system, but I couldn't find a good configuration where the cards didn't blow too hot air onto another card... so I just gave up and sent 2 back.

At least with the reference coolers. (or iceq) they vent out the rear of the case... or in one direction. And the sapphire vapor-Xs seem to run much cooler in general and I had no problem slotting 4 of them into a system and just letting them go...

cooltobe (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Yes I picked up 4 of them recently and was extremely disappointed - the back of the cards heat up to the point that literally radiate heat off the back end in such amounts that it effectively cooks whatever's behind it.

I did end up getting 2 of them working allright in a board with 4x pcie - by loading them in the 1st and 4th slot... (the cpu in that one has water cooling so that's the only way I could get one to work in the top slot) when I tried single card in other systems they ended up overheating the cpu.

I also tried extending cables on one system, but I couldn't find a good configuration where the cards didn't blow too hot air onto another card... so I just gave up and sent 2 back.

At least with the reference coolers. (or iceq) they vent out the rear of the case... or in one direction. And the sapphire vapor-Xs seem to run much cooler in general and I had no problem slotting 4 of them into a system and just letting them go...

I have to thank you for this...you have changed my mind ,
i'll change to sapphire and lower the cpu to a am3 one .

phillyj

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:55:40 PM

I have to thank you for this...you have changed my mind ,
i'll change to sapphire and lower the cpu to a am3 one .

Looks good. Heat is a big problem. You need cool air and need to get rid of hot air quickly. It helps to be cool, especially if you're OC'ing.
cooltobe (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:45:22 PM

how about msi twin frozr ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: