Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 10:21:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Email Update from Avalon Just In  (Read 4421 times)
Bowjob

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:46:40 PM

ETA of Avalons July 30 by most hands. Maybe.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:48:33 PM

That would piss me the fuck off! They would be useless by then....ugh
ESPECIALLY of BFL ships everything

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Bowjob

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:54:58 PM

Don't worry. BFL will probably screw shipping or something. They can't ship that fast.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:57:44 PM

Good news: We got an update

Bad news: We are delayed. Just hoping my units are among the 20 test ships

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:58:15 PM

Don't worry. BFL will probably screw shipping or something. They can't ship that fast.
Bowjob;
Remember how these were priced?   the formula?   Batch III is going to look like crap compared to what it was pitched as.   Could be more than double the difficulty.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:59:58 PM

Bowjob;
Remember how these were priced?   the formula?   Batch III is going to look like crap compared to what it was pitched as.   Could be more than double the difficulty.
What was the formula again?

I am going to buy a couple of Avalons and need to know how much for each.
Bowjob

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:01:21 AM

Bowjob;

Even at double difficulty, batch 3 will still make a killing. ^

Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:12:19 AM

Bowjob;
Remember how these were priced?   the formula?   Batch III is going to look like crap compared to what it was pitched as.   Could be more than double the difficulty.

Even at double difficulty, batch 3 will still make a killing. ^

There are many people predicting the hashrate will increase by 500-700% by July 30th but since those increases are based on a lot of BFL/Avalon chips hitting the network then the delays from both parties will of course reduce that. I guess both BFL and Avalon customers can sleep a little easier knowing both parties are experience significant delays. I personally would not want to be a batch 3 customer but I think they will still come out ahead. If only I had the balls to get in on batch 1!
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:16:36 AM

I do not think there is any reason why the chips will be delayed since this line has nothing to do with the chips.   It is likely some people will receive chips before the batch III people.   How will that affect batch III's (that most expensive batch) return?   Hard to say but not pleasant.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:21:13 AM

I do not think there is any reason why the chips will be delayed since this line has nothing to do with the chips.   It is likely some people will receive chips before the batch III people.   How will that affect batch III's (that most expensive batch) return?   Hard to say but not pleasant.

The chips will still need to be made into a working product, which is no trivial task and will take time.

I'd be surprised if any of the people planning on assembling Avalon chip miners are ready for production when the chips arrive (and I even ordered some myself..)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:24:20 AM

Nice to see there's progress, but a little disappointing they said they'd started shipping 2 weeks ago but are only just getting the SMT machines set up now...

I got the impression they were referring to a second SMT line, to supplement their first, though this could be an incorrect assumption.

Quote from: Avalon 25-March email newsletter
around this period we are suppose to take this time to organize, make some changes and install a brand new SMT line in our facility. This upgrade will effectively double our production capacity, it enable us to put Avalon into the hands of our customer even faster. The new line is currently scheduled to come online during the last week of April.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:27:01 AM

Hope the sick is not H7N9.

I don't know what that is, but I had some nasty flu or something knock be out real suddenly on Sunday.  I'm still not back to work yet on Wednesday, though I'm planning to go tomorrow.

Very sudden and brutal.

I'm located a few hundred miles south of Yifu.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:38:11 AM

Thanks for the update.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:02:17 AM

Man, this whole fucking SMT crap / delays all the sudden feels like BFL spewing excuses for delays =( first its a week, now its 2 more weeks, whats next...a  month more?

Sounds like a 1-month delay. BFL is on a 6+ month delay. Not even the same ballpark.

Buy & Hold
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:03:04 AM

confirmed

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:07:42 AM

Sad

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:25:00 AM

The difference about Avalon is that they actually tell you straight up the length of the delay.

They don't try to sell you unicorn hairs and rainbows... "we'll ship next week" or "we're shipping now" bullshit.

They tell you straight up. Obviously, they have ran into some problems in mass producing and shipping their units, but they've outpaced BFL by miles. I have faith in them to start delivering when they say they will, and I can't say that for BFL.

So everyone just chill out. I'd much rather be on Avalon's boat considering when we ordered, compared to when BFL customers ordered, and the rate that we will get our product.  Grin
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 02:29:08 AM

Just got this in my inbox from Avalon:

"Lots things to update.

1. We are currently investigating on the three or so shipments that have shown up badly damaged to the customers. They do no appear to be simple delivery damage: they are not dents but some corners of some of the units have been snapped off. It takes a great amount of force to snap 3mm aluminum that's been bolted down with 0.9mm screws in a box with foam padding. We are not ruling out the possibility of sabotage.

This makes me think they never shipped anything heavy around the world before.  Out of 300 units (I don't know that there are this manym this is just the number I saw) packed the way I saw them I would expect between 5-20 of them to be damaged.  

In future, when receiving an Avalon package, if there is any rattling sound coming from inside, open the package in front of DHL/EMS and inspect the inside, if there is damage immediately return the package to the sender. The receiver must submit the complaint so us, the shipper can receive this information from DHL/EMS and we can investigate.

Do not worry, even if DHL/EMS does not compensate for the damages, once you send the damaged unit back, we will send you a replacement free of charge.

This is not practical for many reasons.  The box is not light enough where the average person is going to be able to 'shake it around'.  Drivers do not normally wait for packages to be inspected unless the box is mangled but more importantly one would NOT WANT TO RETURN the item if one thought it might work or could be quickly fixed.  There are thousands at stake here.  If one of the blades was bad, one would still want to keep it and just return the bad part.  

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1822

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:43:41 AM

Man, this whole fucking SMT crap / delays all the sudden feels like BFL spewing excuses for delays =( first its a week, now its 2 more weeks, whats next...a  month more?

Sounds like a 1-month delay. BFL is on a 6+ month delay. Not even the same ballpark.
Yeah except there is a big issue here.
They already started shipping (300 units) 3.5 months ago. As everyone knows - they won - they released first - go Avalon!

So either they all stopped working and took a couple months holiday, or they have been making a killing mining on Avalons that people have funded.
Remember, the Avalon payment method is no refund because they are using your money to buy the hardware (their words)

I guess they could have bought all this very large amount of hardware and left it sitting in a storage facility for more than 2 months?
Yeah right ...

BFL has failed to deliver on time ... yes we understand that ... yes they are late ...
However, once BFL does start to deliver in quantity, what would your impression be if they stopped for >2 months for no reason ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Fullsurface

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:43:50 AM

i personally think the 20 units are the last missing batch 1 units that have been sent yet
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: