Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:02:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Block Chain Download  (Read 16437 times)
jrwr (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:20:37 AM

I am providing a place for people to download the current block chain, It is updated every 6 Hours, but if enough demand is there, I can up it to every 2 hours, Feel free to use Wget to auto download the block chain, but i do request that you keep it down to every 6 hours (pointless to download the same thing over and over)

http://jrwr.co.cc/bitcoind/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n0ne

Activity: 2562
Merit: 548

8ombard - Pick, Play, Prosper!

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 05:54:54 AM

This looks legit.

Roll Eyes

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:06:41 AM

Be aware that your client WILL NOT verify these blockchains, so be careful. We also already have a nightly blockchain copy made by a trusted developer:
http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:12:23 AM

Agree -- please download from bluematt's repository or https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/OldFiles/

As Maged indicated, if you download the block chain outside of P2P, the block chain will not be verified and could potentially be quite wrong.  Users are urged to avoid the download provided by the OP.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:16:20 AM

What's the need to download the blockchain anyway?
jrwr (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:41:06 AM

For some, it can take hours for the block chain to download over p2p

also I have provided notice on the site that It is recommend to download the Block Chain from http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/ instead

I will still provide the download link, and the auto updater will still run (never hurts to have another mirror)
bitcola

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:09:18 AM

No thanks, I'd rather download it myself. My money is at stake here, after all.

forbun

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 12:01:51 PM

What harm could occur from using a bad block chain from a malicious source?

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:19:53 PM

In theory you could verify the validity of this blockchain by downloading it and installing it in an empty bitcoin client, then connecting your real bitcoin client to the empty client using the -connect switch - it'll download and verify the blockchain over whatever speed the connection between the two computers are... but it's a hassle...

It's a pity the -rescan command doesn't validate the block chain.

Will

Bruno Gorilla

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:46:43 PM

I just downloaded the newest blockchain today and i put it in userfile\application data\bitcoin then opened bitcoin and nothing has changed except the number of blocks isnt changing anymore. i went to the bitcoin faucet and put in my address code and it said it sent but i still havent gotten anything. did i do something wrong? i just started with this yesterday so im completely clueless on this sorry.
forbun

Activity: 107

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2011, 04:58:24 PM

Unfortunately, using a block-chain that you downloaded yourself seems to be broken or unsupported currently. I posted about using a downloaded block-chain on OS X, but no solution has yet been found.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
Maged
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:47:52 AM

What harm could occur from using a bad block chain from a malicious source?
Because it isn't verified, a malicious user could literally give themselves a large balance that your client would then accept. They can also change other balances. Worst of all, they can permanently put you on their own fork of the blockchain. Basically, if you download this, you must implicitly trust the person as much as you'd trust the person who built the bitcoin client you are currently using.

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 04:23:21 AM

Sorry for opening up an old thread, but I think the above needs to be cleared up. Is it really possible?

Any attacker wishing to forge a block chain will never be able to make a chain with a total amount of work performed that is greater than the network (unless he has more processing power than the network). Thus, when the client with the supposedly illegitimate block chain connects to other nodes and receives a new block, the fake block chain will be orphaned and the real block chain will be received, right? I mean, how can one get around - for one - the 'work' measure (which proves how much work has been spent creating a chain) and secondly the prev_hash field which will not match when a new block is announced in the network?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:43:15 AM

Correct.  For the bogus block chain to be useful the attacker would also need to ioslate your node to feed you "false blocks".  I think the security risk isn't that great but given the blockchain is the cornerstone of the network it likely isn't a good idea to take chances.

I do think the network could use a concept like "macro blocks".  For old blocks (say older than 5000 blocks) the protocol could have all nodes take 10,000 block segments, compress them and take a hash.  New nodes could request a macro block, download it from multiple peers (or even static websites/repositories/mirrors) and then request a hash for the blocks from nodes.  If your nodes gets same hash from multiple nodes and it matches the "macro block" then the macro block is valid.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 08:22:59 PM

Correct.  For the bogus block chain to be useful the attacker would also need to ioslate your node to feed you "false blocks".  I think the security risk isn't that great but given the blockchain is the cornerstone of the network it likely isn't a good idea to take chances.

I do think the network could use a concept like "macro blocks".  For old blocks (say older than 5000 blocks) the protocol could have all nodes take 10,000 block segments, compress them and take a hash.  New nodes could request a macro block, download it from multiple peers (or even static websites/repositories/mirrors) and then request a hash for the blocks from nodes.  If your nodes gets same hash from multiple nodes and it matches the "macro block" then the macro block is valid.

AWESOME! BIP-it!   Tongue
Matt Corallo

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:55:41 PM

In the interest of convincing people to update their bookmarks, because this thread pops up high on google results, and because http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/ has been down for a year+ now:
Please update your bookmarks to tcatm's chain at http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:09:32 PM

Is there any other site that hosts (regularly updated) blockchain files? I tried using bootstap.dat, but that still leaves ~17k blocks to download, and those take forever.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Is there any other site that hosts (regularly updated) blockchain files? I tried using bootstap.dat, but that still leaves ~17k blocks to download, and those take forever.

Read the post in this thread, immediately preceding yours Smiley

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:01:50 PM

Read the post in this thread, immediately preceding yours Smiley

I must be missing something. The link in Matt's post points to a bootstrap.dat file. That contains the first 193k blocks, which leaves the last 17k to be downloaded. I have taken that route and after 6 hours I'm still 15k blocks short, so I'm looking for a way to get the complete (or almost complete) blockchain.
murasha

Activity: 109

Developer

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

I wish your host works
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: