Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:41:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Server PSU or ATX PSU?  (Read 3299 times)
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:23:04 PM

I hate ATX psu`s, they are bulky, heavy, expensive. PICO is microscopic compared to ATX.

Yeah, and it also blows up when overloaded and takes the mobo with it. No thanks.

That's why I only use ATX to power low power components (MOBO, CPU, SSD, fans).

The only problem with PICO can be a MOBO that won't POST with 12.5 volts that most server PSUs provide. There was a topic on this forum not so long ago where someone had a non POSTing miner because of that.

But PICO is usually the best way to go (save some money and space Wink)!

NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:53:40 PM

I hate ATX psu`s, they are bulky, heavy, expensive. PICO is microscopic compared to ATX.

Yeah, and it also blows up when overloaded and takes the mobo with it. No thanks.

The only problem with PICO can be a MOBO that won't POST with 12.5 volts that most server PSUs provide. There was a topic on this forum not so long ago where someone had a non POSTing miner because of that.

I do the exact same set up on 5 mining rigs. ATX for mobo, cpu, and ssd only and I have the hp 1200 server psu for risers and gpus.

server PSUs are awesome. they are MADE to be on 24/7 and when on a 240v outlet they get the true power and reduced amps. people who don't know are missing out on getting a faster ROI. I got 5 HP 1200 server PSUs on ebay for $50 each. so $250 for all of them and they are platinum rated as well. 1 ATX would be more than that at 1200+ watts. Breakout boards and wires would be another $30 total per PSU also (max). 
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:56:09 PM

I do the exact same set up on 5 mining rigs. ATX for mobo, cpu, and ssd only and I have the hp 1200 server psu for risers and gpus.

server PSUs are awesome. they are MADE to be on 24/7 and when on a 240v outlet they get the true power and reduced amps. people who don't know are missing out on getting a faster ROI. I got 5 HP 1200 server PSUs on ebay for $50 each. so $250 for all of them and they are platinum rated as well. 1 ATX would be more than that at 1200+ watts. Breakout boards and wires would be another $30 total per PSU also (max). 
Smiley

MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 06:59:35 PM

If using a mobo that requires risers for the GPUs then sure, a PICO + server psu is the way to go, but if using a riserless mobo like the Onda D1800, etc., then you pretty much have to use an ATX PSU, with or without a server PSU.
Bimmber

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:01:33 PM

I have the hp 1200 server psu for risers and gpus.

Same as me, I bought six 1200w platinum HP server psu`s for peanuts. They are designed for critical infrastructure and will run 24/7 for years.
oni4an

Activity: 658
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:25:11 PM

When building a farm I would not recommend saving on two things-this is the motherboard and power supply, it is best to buy an ATX power supply PSU, because it will be able to save your graphics card in a critical situation while PSU is designed only to work 24/7.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 02:25:59 AM

For me in expensive California electric rates @15 cents and higher I only go with EVGA T2 titanium. Been running 24/7 for 6 months without issues. Anything less than titanium  I don't touch.  I also make sure I got 240 volt for max efficiency at 96 percent.

People that pick gold PSU is low class in my eyes
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: