Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:28:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin Venture  (Read 4402 times)
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:07:10 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 06:54:59 AM by Unthinkingbit

Propose your open source projects which either make money, or help devcoin, or help the world a lot, in this thread.

Devcoin citizens (people who received generation devcoins in this round or the previous one), except the venture bounty almoner (Unthinkingbit until we get another almoner), can propose up to 2 projects each. After two weeks, all citizens who want to will vote on them over four days with 0 to 99 range voting:
http://rangevoting.org/Why99.html

The top five projects will get bounties of twelve shares, with six shares for second. A twelve share bounty is sufficient to get developers to chance a week of work. Also whoever proposes a bounty which is later awarded gets 2 shares. The projects can be modified until the voting starts.

If at least one of the projects is successful and there is not too much controversy over awards, we'll have another round if devcoin market capitalization goes over 5 million dollars.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
termhn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:58:32 AM

So does this actually have to be helpful or can it be something fun like a game? Grin
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:03:51 AM

So does this actually have to be helpful or can it be something fun like a game? Grin

Since games aren't helpful, the game would have to make money in some way.

termhn

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:09:44 AM

What do you mean by that exactly... it's supposed to be open source/free correct?
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 04:26:47 AM

What do you mean by that exactly... it's supposed to be open source/free correct?

Yup everything has to be open source. I added that to the top post.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:01:11 AM

I got SOOO many, I'm gonna give you a few Smiley

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:09:00 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 05:24:36 AM by FinShaggy

Devbook- A Mix between Facebook and a Genealogy website.

Devxchange- A Devcoin exchange website, possibly with a section where people can post projects that need funding through donations and loans

Devtest- Surveys and Contests for devcoin

Devlist- Craigslist, but things are for sale for Devcoins

Devsino- Devcoin Gambling

DevATM- An ATM where you can insert cash and get Devcoins on a USB (even just a machine that is constantly hooked up to a Devxchange that accepts credit card as USD funding)

Devblog- A place to post blogs and vlogs, like blogger for Devtomers

Adev- A 'company' that puts ads in videos and on websites and pays the host in devcoin.

Devseed- A program to freeze seeds of all the Earth's plant species for preservation through an "apocalypse" scenario

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:15:23 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 03:30:41 PM by FinShaggy

DevIsland- An island that is rented out, and Devcoins are bought with the money to stimulate the Devcoin economy, and Devcoin events can be held there for free

Devid Card- A Machine that can aaccept USBs, allowing for payment in Devcoins in regular stores

Devtel- A Hotel that is half free, half paid, paid customers pay in Devcoin which stimulate the devcoin economy

Devtome Brick & Mortar- A place that is half library, half bookstore. Purchases and fees are paid in Devcoin

Devcoach- A Half free half paid "Greyhound" type bus service

Devy Awards- Winners get coins and trophy, awards go to great achievements in the Devcoin community

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:16:19 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 03:30:58 PM by FinShaggy

Devpower- A Company that uses solar and wind technology to offer a FREE energy alternative

Devercise- Workout powered mining machines

DTV- Devcoin Television network, commercials and actors/writers are paid for in Devcoins which stimulates the Devcoin economy

Devair- Devcoin radio, same as DTV but radio

FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:21:33 AM

DevPAC- A Devcoin funded political ad campaign

Dev for Humanity- Apartments built that are completely free, but some of the rooms will contain just mining servers to fund it

Devstate- A university, and eventually city/township, then eventually county, and maybe even a state one day

DevINC- A company that gives out free mining machines and asks that people donate coins back if they have extra money after mining

DevSA- Devcoin NASA

metazilla

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:47:35 AM

FinShaggy, he said each user can propose two projects. Maybe you should choose your two favorite ideas. Wink

---

My 1st proposal:

An official Devcoin site with several functions related to Devcoin:

1) A bounty proposal/voting section. This would basically serve the same function as this thread, where users can submit ideas, and vote on them using range voting.

2) A section dedicated to showing how the Devcoin shares have been distributed in the past (maybe call it "Share Explorer"). This way people could see what kind of projects were awarded shares in the past, and how much the shares were worth at the time (maybe through integration with something like Cryptocoin Charts). Also, this section should include a front-end for the current round of shares - showing how many shares are awarded so far, with an estimation of how many coins each share will be worth. This could also include an administration section for automatically generated the bounty_x.csv and account.csv files.

3. A nicely designed and simply-explained homepage (eg. like bitcoin.org or litecoin.org) that explains what Devcoin is, has links to the latest wallets, block-explorers, etc. Emphasis should be on the site being newbie friendly.

2nd Proposal:

Integration of the account/bounty csv files into the Devcoin blockchain, so that Devcoin is truly distributed and not reliant on the few people that are kindly hosting these files as of now. (Imagine Devcoin had the popularity of Bitcoin, those hosts could be easily DDOS'd and no one would be able to download the files.)
Bonus for coming up with a better system, maybe something like incorporating voting on which projects get shares into the actual blockchain, doing away with the need for administration entirely. I can imagine there being some difficulty in making this fair, since many users of devcoin are not necessarily miners, so voting shouldn't be done with hashing power. (I guess a simple way to handle this is that only people who have received shares in the past can vote, and there is proof of share receipt in the block chain.)

---

Unthinkingbit, is it allowed to change or update our proposals in the future? Also what about suggesting improvements/modifications to others ideas?

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 06:56:00 AM

Unthinkingbit, is it allowed to change or update our proposals in the future?

Yes, up, until the voting starts, in two weeks. That's a good question, so I added it to the top post.

Also what about suggesting improvements/modifications to others ideas?

Yes, but it is up to them to incorporate your suggestions.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 08:04:09 AM

I would really like to see a button to accept payment or donations. I used https://bitmerch.com/ to create buttons for a website and it was extremely easy to use.

Any chance we can get a payment button......please?  

Now that I have some dedicated servers, I can start working with Cyclos again. It is a full banking system. It is probably much easier for merchants to put up buttons when the buttons do not require them to run a coin daemon. Cyclos will make it more like existing third party solutions for accepting coins, in that what the merchant really gets is a balance at a payment processor aka bank.

Cyclos provides apps for phones of many types too, so it should let us reach out to all the folk who do not want to or do not have the skills to deal with actual on the blockchain coins, by having a kind of "devpal" or "paydev" (paypal-like) banking system where accounts can be denominated in devcoins.

(Most likely such Cyclos based systems will use the Digitalis Open Transactions server as "central bank", basically palming off on Digitalis the whole cold wallets / coin-reserves thing, so that the Cyclos systems need only deal with holding digiDeVCoins on the Open Transactions server instead of having to deal with blockchains at all.)

Basically Cyclos should let us do normal banking that normal people are used to, denominated in devcoins (and/or any other coins/assets) without actually exposing the users to blockchains at all.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 02:38:42 PM

FinShaggy, he said each user can propose two projects. Maybe you should choose your two favorite ideas. Wink

I don't care about the bounties, just submitting ideas Smiley And giving ideas for others to expand on (or get more specific on)
But I'll underline my favorite 2 Smiley
Eventually I plan on getting ALL of these off the ground myself, or with help. Smiley

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 02:54:25 PM

My first proposal is a Devcoin.org website in the vein of Litecoin.org, Bitcoin.org etc.

I think a site with a contemporary image slider and icons underneath with little explanations of how Devcoin works and breaks down the vision of Devcoin as crypto project on a mission to change the world, and sponsor such necessary developments as advanced fabricators and even a spaceship! This information needs to be presented in a contemporary way Smiley

I can't remember if it was already agreed there would be a bounty for this (if so please remind me how much this particular bounty is) - but I believe this is a necessity for Devcoin to gain more exposure and legitimacy.

The site could include the current bounties which are available to be worked on and what Devcoin has achieved thus far, and this list can be updated monthly.

I have quite a few ideas for the second one let me get back to you Smiley
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:12:51 PM

Ok, this second one is a little more ambitious.

I propose we offer a bounty to the first store like Bitcoinstore, but which accepts Devcoin as a payment method.

This can either be an existing store with also accepts Devcoin, or can be a Devcoin store built for this very purpose (preferred).

Must stock 100+ items, items must be physical and shipped to the customers.

With dropshipping this wouldn't be too hard for someone to set up - I'd personally love to do it but I have too many projects on!

PREFERRED: Store to sell 3D Printers and accessories, computer accessories, laptops etc
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 03:16:39 PM

Ok, this second one is a little more ambitious.

I propose we offer a bounty to the first store like Bitcoinstore, but which accepts Devcoin as a payment method.

This can either be an existing store with also accepts Devcoin, or can be a Devcoin store built for this very purpose (preferred).

Must stock 100+ items, items must be physical and shipped to the customers.

With dropshipping this wouldn't be too hard for someone to set up - I'd personally love to do it but I have too many projects on!

PREFERRED: Store to sell 3D Printers and accessories, computer accessories, laptops etc

If someone else doesn't get this one, I will. We're making a forum/shop, and the store will be nothing but DVC priced products. (but we will accept cash, that will just be translated if they choose)

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 03:40:10 PM

Check out http://dvcstable02.devcoin.org:8080

It is the Cyclos banking system, but that includes an advertising system for people to advertise things they want to buy and sell, and it includes stuff for webmasters to use on their websites for payment buttons and such.

I have it set up with DeVCoins as its currency, so basically it is a DVCbank, a bank in which accounts are denominated in DeVCoins.

So webmasters could "accept devcoins" similar to how one "accepts fiat" with things like Paypal; that is, by having your account added to, instead of by having to deal with actual coins or notes/bills or, in the case of cryptocurrencies, actual blockchains.

It has no blockchain interfaces at all, it knows nothing of blockchains.

But that just means it might be worthwhile to figure out exactly what kind of modules that do somehow do something with blockchains Cyclos needs and making some bounties to get them made...

When you create an account it apparently says the admin has to validate you. That'd be me so I guess I will have to manually verify people's email addreses, or something. As I have not even looked into how sendmail is set up on that machine but I think by default sendmail on Fedora only sends to local users on the machine not out onto the internet so likely the machine has no outgoing email ability.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MosinNagant

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:23:33 PM

I propose a record label. All music produced from this label would be entirely free -- with each artist being able to accept devcoin donations, as well as being paid a flat fee for releasing albums under the label. I'd be more than happy to manage such a venture.

Hopefully, provided the project goes well there would be the opportunity to set up tours for artists under the label in the future. This would earn them much more money considering creating an album (or any kind of art indeed) is unquantifiable in monetary terms.

Artists who feel they earn more than they need can put money back into the label or just donate their devcoins elsewhere.

It would also give me an outlet; I'd rather not just spam up devtome with my own lyrics.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 07:27:07 PM

I propose a record label. All music produced from this label would be entirely free -- with each artist being able to accept devcoin donations, as well as being paid a flat fee for releasing albums under the label. I'd be more than happy to manage such a venture.

Hopefully, provided the project goes well there would be the opportunity to set up tours for artists under the label in the future. This would earn them much more money considering creating an album (or any kind of art indeed) is unquantifiable in monetary terms.

Artists who feel they earn more than they need can put money back into the label or just donate their devcoins elsewhere.

It would also give me an outlet; I'd rather not just spam up devtome with my own lyrics.

That is an awesome idea, are you attempting to make it now or when would you start trying to manage it? Do you know any artists, I know some people... As long as the contracts were flexible, and especially if we allowed them to sell it to other people as well as have it free on the DVC site.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: