Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:39:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you mining with older generation Nvidia cards?  (Read 1237 times)
Jdope (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 09:04:50 AM

Hello, I want to start buying Nvidia cards, but the 1080,1080ti is honestly a little bit over my current budget, I've been looking in gtx 980 and they're in my budget, any one mining with them? What algorithms are you mining? How much are you getting? Would really appreciate some information! Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 09:48:26 AM

can you not buy the 1070 or 1060? it's not like there are only 1080 and 1080ti, you have plenty of choice out there, if you want a cheap gpu, older cards are bad, they are not efficient and have bad hashrate on new algorithm, they are good only because very cheap

JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 11:04:45 AM

Hello, I want to start buying Nvidia cards, but the 1080,1080ti is honestly a little bit over my current budget, I've been looking in gtx 980 and they're in my budget, any one mining with them? What algorithms are you mining? How much are you getting? Would really appreciate some information! Thanks.

I use 9 series and 10 series nvidia cards.

Recently I have been mining skein.  Check for the batch link in my signature.  Tons of info.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Jdope (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 11:05:52 AM

can you not buy the 1070 or 1060? it's not like there are only 1080 and 1080ti, you have plenty of choice out there, if you want a cheap gpu, older cards are bad, they are not efficient and have bad hashrate on new algorithm, they are good only because very cheap

Yeah I get that, I was eyeing the gtx 1070 too but i was asking if there is some algos that these cards are still mining at, like right now it's not very profitable to mine eth with the R9's but mining Zcash with them gives some good returns. There can be an algorithm that these cards are good I just want to know if it exists.

I use 9 series and 10 series nvidia cards.

Recently I have been mining skein.  Check for the batch link in my signature.  Tons of info.

Can you share your hashrates? i want to make a quick compariso between the cards, even if mine are going to be lower, thanks a bunch!
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 12:15:45 PM

on skein the ones I know off the top of my head:

960: 199Mh
980: 354Mh
1060: ~300Mh (probably more as I havent looked at what the new alexis78 version does on it yet)
1070: 520Mh
1080: ~650Mh (memory is fuzzy, they are in my buddies rig)

If you are going frugal but 10 series; get a 1060's.  at <$200/ea for EVGA superclocked BNIB... can't lose.
If you are willing to spend a little more;  1070 is superbly a sweet spot.
If you are a frugal baller;  1080's are awesome; just wait for a $400 one to hit CL.  It happens often when people want a Ti now.

Phillip has been buying up 1080Ti's and has rave reviews.   hash per watt is unbeatable... but they garnish a heavy price tag.

http://zpool.ca/?address=1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP
The equivalent of 3 GTX 1070 mine on this account.   They aren't all 1070's, but they add up to it hash wise, so you can get an idea of profitability.  My "total paid" history, is basically a constant 1.5Gh average up till yesterday.

Just the other day one of my buddies stuck a 1060 in a machine i have mining in his warehouse when he's there and he turns it on;  so it has a 960_1060 and pulls about the same hash as a 1070 (+or- 20Mh).

You can see on the graph it just barely started reaching the 3Gh mark;  typically its 1.4-1.6Gh.   Another buddy's PC mines for me when he has it turned on, but that's not a full-time deal, and very spotty when it comes online....   so grain of salt to the actual profitability in the short term totals.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Jdope (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 01:16:29 PM

on skein the ones I know off the top of my head:

960: 199Mh
980: 354Mh
1060: ~300Mh (probably more as I havent looked at what the new alexis78 version does on it yet)
1070: 520Mh
1080: ~650Mh (memory is fuzzy, they are in my buddies rig)

If you are going frugal but 10 series; get a 1060's.  at <$200/ea for EVGA superclocked BNIB... can't lose.
If you are willing to spend a little more;  1070 is superbly a sweet spot.
If you are a frugal baller;  1080's are awesome; just wait for a $400 one to hit CL.  It happens often when people want a Ti now.

Phillip has been buying up 1080Ti's and has rave reviews.   hash per watt is unbeatable... but they garnish a heavy price tag.

http://zpool.ca/?address=1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP
The equivalent of 3 GTX 1070 mine on this account.   They aren't all 1070's, but they add up to it hash wise, so you can get an idea of profitability.  My "total paid" history, is basically a constant 1.5Gh average up till yesterday.

Just the other day one of my buddies stuck a 1060 in a machine i have mining in his warehouse when he's there and he turns it on;  so it has a 960_1060 and pulls about the same hash as a 1070 (+or- 20Mh).

You can see on the graph it just barely started reaching the 3Gh mark;  typically its 1.4-1.6Gh.   Another buddy's PC mines for me when he has it turned on, but that's not a full-time deal, and very spotty when it comes online....   so grain of salt to the actual profitability in the short term totals.

Very cool, I think I could get a 1080 in here for like 480$ lightly used, what's really holding me back is the fact that they aren't pulling as good revenue, on Zcash they are pulling around 550 sols so that's about 155$ monthly, which is comparable to an RX 480 pulling 30mhs at eth, with almost half the price.
Vaccinus

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 01:29:08 PM

Yeah I get that, I was eyeing the gtx 1070 too but i was asking if there is some algos that these cards are still mining at, like right now it's not very profitable to mine eth with the R9's but mining Zcash with them gives some good returns. There can be an algorithm that these cards are good I just want to know if it exists.

of course the 1070 are very good not only at zcash but at lbry skein and a bunch of other algorithm, amd is only good at ETH, and i don't like to ahve only one choice, nvidia now is the king i think, better to go with the green side until vega come out

JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 01:38:27 PM

Very cool, I think I could get a 1080 in here for like 480$ lightly used, what's really holding me back is the fact that they aren't pulling as good revenue, on Zcash they are pulling around 550 sols so that's about 155$ monthly, which is comparable to an RX 480 pulling 30mhs at eth, with almost half the price.

Just try skein @ zpool on a 10 series using ccmineralexis78 for two days.... as a test.

I think you'll come around to seeing the increase in profit compared to the 3 coins the herd flocks to  Wink  Measuring nvidia solely on zcash is one of the biggest bothers in my life right now.... lol.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Meteorite777

Activity: 68
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 02:50:43 PM

Just try skein @ zpool on a 10 series using ccmineralexis78 for two days.... as a test.

I think you'll come around to seeing the increase in profit compared to the 3 coins the herd flocks to  Wink  Measuring nvidia solely on zcash is one of the biggest bothers in my life right now.... lol.

Is there any difference between Alexis and tpruvot? I have been using tpruvot but keep hearing Alexis is used for Skein. I have two Nvidia rigs and have been looking to point them somewhere more profitible than Nicehash, especially with the upcoming increase to 4% fees. Also any tips on using ZPool? You can set up a BTC payout or get paid directly in the coin you are mining correct?
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 03:21:51 PM

you can choose your payout coin;  but it relies on the pool mining enough to pay you out in that coin (which usually there are multiple coins/algo....)
I highly suggest getting paid in BTC... you could always use an exchange to turn into an alt.

before I was using a spmod version and tpruvot...  but the alexis version does comparable hashrates on other algos too.   ITs been awhile since I've done a round of testing all the new app versions;  it takes a LOT of time (waiting for hashrates to stabilize, etc).

there's a batch file link with tons of resources in there;  and that's in my signature just below in the right.

Right now;  with that alexis build and skein, it rains supreme compared to most other algos to mine....

Originally I did the pool controlled profit switching between algos.

Later, I swapped primarily to lyra2v2 cause of the nvidia  higher hashrates, but when profitability dropped, I went to skein for more consistent payouts and smaller diff coins.... been there since profitability was less than 0.002mbtc/Mh..   It remains consistent.

Recently the market is in such a flux, that things like the dump today on DGB (went from nearly 1K sat to 300 and back to 600....) will make your profitability fluctuate thorughout the day, so your graph shows odd drops in the earnings as blocks are found.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Meteorite777

Activity: 68
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 08:56:50 PM

Ok sounds good I will look into getting Alexis and ZPool as well. I have been diverting some hash to DGB as payouts have risen and i'm using tpruvot and Groestl at the moment. I guess my last question is how Skein/ZPool works. Skein is and algo and the prefix of coin correct? When you say you are mining Skein on ZPool are you mining a certain coin all coins that use Skein as an algorithm (like DGB). Or am I misunderstanding something about Skein?
zer0k

Activity: 349

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2017, 09:19:22 PM

SSSsssshhhhhh Cheesy

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 12:31:03 AM

of course the 1070 are very good not only at zcash but at lbry skein and a bunch of other algorithm, amd is only good at ETH, and i don't like to ahve only one choice, nvidia now is the king i think, better to go with the green side until vega come out

AMD is good at quite a few algo, not just ETH - they just happen to dominate on ETH on a hash/$ basis over anything NVidia, even though NVidia is very competative to slightly superior on hash/Watt on ETH.

For example, on ZEC and despite recent gains on the green side, AMD is still competative-to-superior on hash/$ though noticeably inferior now on hash/Watt.

The major DOWN side on Nvidia is that all of the algos it DOES dominate on have much smaller network hash pools (in number of cards) than ETH and ZEC do, so while NVidia has more options they are all much SMALLER options and tend to bounce around a LOT more on profitability (DGB is a major case in point recently, I've seen it bounce 3:1 on profitability in an HOUR at times depending on which DGB algo you are looking at).

It says a lot that there were a couple points in the last week that I was ballpark 0.2% of the entire DGB-skein or 0.5% of the entire DGB-groetsl hashrate with MY small number of 1070s (not at the same time though), and actuallly managed 1% of the total DGB-Scrypt network hashrate for one short period with my SMALL A2 farm.

There's more than 3 coins "the herd" flocks to, BTW - BTC ETH ZEC LTC XMR DASH all have major pools of miners, though only 3 of those are GPU mineable any more.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
May 23, 2017, 03:32:29 AM

that's a completely biased opinion, amd are just fine for other algo's, NVidia has less profitable coins that can be mined than amd gpus do

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2017, 04:59:28 AM

Food for thought:

I just got gifted 2x gtx 780 ref cards.

They are 250w tdp each.

I plan to plug them in and test em out tonight.

Free hash is free hash.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 01:40:30 AM

For free, the 780 should be worth messing with if you have spare power capacity available (I don't right now, which shapes my thinking some, but that will change next month when I start getting moved into a place with a lot more electrical capacity).

Not real good by current standards on efficiency, but it's only 2 generations old so it should be profitable for quite a while.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 03:17:18 AM

For free, the 780 should be worth messing with if you have spare power capacity available (I don't right now, which shapes my thinking some, but that will change next month when I start getting moved into a place with a lot more electrical capacity).

Not real good by current standards on efficiency, but it's only 2 generations old so it should be profitable for quite a while.

For me only having one power line reaching my home miners;  I have to watch my wattage consumption;  so Ill be prepping a microatx box and dropping these up in SF cause 500W will earn a #@!$ more for me at home than these two cards;  but they are getting put to use promptly!  Especially being an 80 series;  They hold up quite a bit longer =)

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Vaccinus

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 05:15:06 AM

AMD is good at quite a few algo, not just ETH - they just happen to dominate on ETH on a hash/$ basis over anything NVidia, even though NVidia is very competative to slightly superior on hash/Watt on ETH.

For example, on ZEC and despite recent gains on the green side, AMD is still competative-to-superior on hash/$ though noticeably inferior now on hash/Watt.

The major DOWN side on Nvidia is that all of the algos it DOES dominate on have much smaller network hash pools (in number of cards) than ETH and ZEC do, so while NVidia has more options they are all much SMALLER options and tend to bounce around a LOT more on profitability (DGB is a major case in point recently, I've seen it bounce 3:1 on profitability in an HOUR at times depending on which DGB algo you are looking at).

It says a lot that there were a couple points in the last week that I was ballpark 0.2% of the entire DGB-skein or 0.5% of the entire DGB-groetsl hashrate with MY small number of 1070s (not at the same time though), and actuallly managed 1% of the total DGB-Scrypt network hashrate for one short period with my SMALL A2 farm.

There's more than 3 coins "the herd" flocks to, BTW - BTC ETH ZEC LTC XMR DASH all have major pools of miners, though only 3 of those are GPU mineable any more.

smaller network i think are good, because they keep away the big boy with their huge farm, it create a heaven territory for the nvidia guys, where they can have more profit than amd, i like to mien small coins with my few rig, i earn a lot versus those that have big farm, while it's true that amd is good at zcash not like nvidia though, they are better off mining on ETH + SIA

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: