Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:48:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin newbie who needs some help to get started please  (Read 410 times)
Gil80 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 11:58:20 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm Gil and I'd like to start investing in bitcoin / buying bitcoins. However, I'd like to ask few questions before I set my self off to this adventure.

I live in Australia (don't know if it matters for Bitcoin stuff).

Back in 2014 I opened my first wallet and got a $1AUD from a colleague. Currently it's worth is mBTC2.26 which is about $6.92AUD.

The android app I used is simply called Bitcoin.

Now, here are the questions I have. They probably sound dumb to you, but bare in mind, I'm very new to this Smiley

• Is there a good Desktop bitcoin app?
  • Can I sync between my Android app wallet to a desktop app wallet?
  • Are all wallet apps the same? or do some offer unique functionalities?
  • Is my wallet unique to the app I used to create it? I mean, if I install a different Bitcoin app, would I be able to have my wallet appear on the new app?
  • Is it possible to share the wallet with my spouse? I mean, if something happens to me, I'd like her to be able to access the wallet and keep the Bitcoins
  • If the answer to the above question is 'No', then what would be the best way to let her access the wallet?
  • Let's say I (and all of us) became rich from Bitcoin investment, how could I change Bitcoin to dollars in my bank account?
  • What is the best way to purchase Bitcoins? I'd like to start by purchasing 2 bitcoins. Is a purchase method unique to the country I live in, or is it done via the app I'm using?

For now, these are the questions I have Smiley

Thanks everyone!
jaceefrost

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 12:07:33 PM

• Is there a good Desktop bitcoin app?
    There is. See for a list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
    Best for me are Electrum and Multibit. Bitcoincore is good but it takes too much data for me.

• Can I sync between my Android app wallet to a desktop app wallet?
    You can. Import the privatekey in both of your android wallet ( suggestion for best android wallet to do this is mycelium) and import it in your desktop client. You can have access to yor wallet at the same time.

• Are all wallet apps the same? or do some offer unique functionalities?
    Yes. Some offers a more advance functionalities and some wallets offers basics.
    • Is my wallet unique to the app I used to create it? I mean, if I install a different Bitcoin app, would I be able to have my wallet appear on the new app?
    Your wallet is tied with a privatekey or a seed which you can use in another app by importing it in the client.
    • Is it possible to share the wallet with my spouse? I mean, if something happens to me, I'd like her to be able to access the wallet and keep the Bitcoins
    Yes. Give her/him a copy of the backup of your wallet. Incase something happens, with that backup (wallet.dat, privatekey or seed) s/he can access it.
    • If the answer to the above question is 'No', then what would be the best way to let her access the wallet?
    It's possible. see answer above.
    • Let's say I (and all of us) became rich from Bitcoin investment, how could I change Bitcoin to dollars in my bank account?
    You can use an exchanger. Most used and well known are coinbase, bitstamp, localbitcoin etc.
    • What is the best way to purchase Bitcoins? I'd like to start by purchasing 2 bitcoins. Is a purchase method unique to the country I live in, or is it done via the app I'm using?
    There are bitcoin exchanges that operates only in certain county so yes, methods differ depending on which country you live but most exchanges , you can buy using a bank or a visa card , and there are also bitcoin atms where you can buy and sell btc.
    [/list]
    Gil80 (OP)

View Profile
    May 24, 2017, 01:04:15 PM

Hi, and thanks for the prompt reply!

So I have installed MultiBit HD Desktop app, however, in addition I've create a wallet using https://blockchain.info which syncs with a mobile app. That basically caters my need to have a cloud storage and mobile app.
    I think in this case, MultiBit HD app is redundant since I wasn't successful in creating the same blockchain wallet in MultiBit app.

Thanks for the help!
    jaceefrost

Activity: 826
    Merit: 1001

View Profile
    May 24, 2017, 01:07:53 PM

Hi, and thanks for the prompt reply!

So I have installed MultiBit HD Desktop app, however, in addition I've create a wallet using https://blockchain.info which syncs with a mobile app. That basically caters my need to have a cloud storage and mobile app.
    I think in this case, MultiBit HD app is redundant since I wasn't successful in creating the same blockchain wallet in MultiBit app.

Thanks for the help!
    I think you can export your privatekey from your multibit and export it in blockcahin.info. Blockchain has an option like that so that'll not be a problem.
    Gil80 (OP)

View Profile
    May 24, 2017, 01:36:49 PM

In blockchain, there's an option to import an address under the Address menu. I tried to import my wallet from my old android app to the new wallet in Blockchain, However it appears as "Watch Only" and it doesn't really transfer the funds to the default Blockchain wallet I created.
    I get a message showing "0 address was successfully transferred to My Bitcoin Wallet. Would you like to archive this address now?"

I then saw that the transaction fee takes away about $6AUD (bare in mind I'm only experimenting with $7.23AUD which is 0.00226BTC)
    So, if I want to transfer my whole 0.0026BTC from one wallet to another, it tell me to use total available minus fee: 0.0017176 BTC, which is 0.0005424...

Does it make sense?
    It also asks me for the private key of that wallet I have on my android device. I have not idea what is this private key.
    Pages: [1]
      Print  

Jump to: