Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 12:11:06 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapish mining rig - what do you think?  (Read 3363 times)
pengoau (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:51:51 AM

Mobo ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6
CPU AMD A4-5300 3.4Ghz FM2 CPU
RAM Patriot 8GB DDR3-1600 (4GGx2)
HDD Use existing supply
DVDRW None
GPU (x3) SA-7950-3GD5-OC-V2 3GB 7950 OC PCI-E VGA Card
PSU Corsair AX860I
Case Coolermaster HAF XB , Antec Skeleton
Cost approx $1500.

I'm expecting a hash rate of anywhere from 1900 to 2100kh/sec for ltc mining. I base this off what others get with 7950 and well I can get 650-700/khash with my 6950 + 5770 in my main pc.

I'm thinking about building 2, one with the coolermaster case and another with the anetc. I like both cases as far as being used for a mining rig so max airflow/ventilation etc is paramount. The coolermaster reminds me of those milk crate mining rigs out there and well I like the anetc espeically with it having a fan to aid with airflow....

I've looked at AM3 and Intel and the above is what I been able to come up with for the cheapest price. Also the motherboard seems to have integrated graphics, so it shall be interesting if I can also use that in cgminer to mine with to add to the overall hashrate.

I've gone with the non vaporX sapphires due to space issues as their cooling from what I can tell will cause the card to take up 2.5 slots, whereas the non vaporx editions seem to just take up the standard 2 slots. With the spacing of the PCI-E slots on the asrock board I should hopefully be able to get away with running 3 GPUs.

The PSU is the most expensive as its the most critical other than the GPUs and has the required PCI-E connectors. I've found if I go a non platnium rated psu I lack a pair of PCI-e power plugs I need for the 3rd GPU. Granted I could run it off a molex adapter connected to the power used for peripherals but I'd prefer not to. Also the corsair comes with a 7 year warranty which is nice. Also being 80+ Plat rated is always good for the long term to try and keep down power costs as much as possible.

Look forward to reading helpful comments Smiley

laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 09:06:14 AM

Hi,
Why would you want to go for FM2 based socket (APU build?)
Go for http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/ + AMD CPU  go for ATHLON X2 240 ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X2+240 ) or 270 one.
That apu is not a bigger performer there ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A4-5300+APU )

The APU does not come free of charge and the performance of the integrated video-card is bad!((for mining atleast) would be okayish if you want to monitor through it)

TEST
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 08:56:40 PM

Hi,
Go for http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/ + AMD CPU  go for ATHLON X2 240 ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X2+240 ) or 270 one.
That apu is not a bigger performer there ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A4-5300+APU )

The APU does not come free of charge and the performance of the integrated video-card is bad!((for mining atleast) would be okayish if you want to monitor through it)
Is called you can hookup a monitor to it and it won' lag when you are mining on the GPU.
Rishodi

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 09:16:13 PM

Is the graphics display more likely to lag while mining LTC? I mine BTC using a 7950 as my primary display with I=9 and I have no problems with display lag.

Bitrated user: Rishodi.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:18:35 PM

Hi,
Go for http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/ + AMD CPU  go for ATHLON X2 240 ( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X2+240 ) or 270 one.

Is called you can hookup a monitor to it and it won' lag when you are mining on the GPU.
implying the motheboard doesn't have a integrated GPU

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:48:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the extrem 4, after reviewing it I may switch to it as the pci-e slots are spaced far enough apart I should be able to get away with running the 3 gpus without risers.

The motherboard comes in cheaper than the fm2, just hope the cpu is cheaper than the fm2 chip.

pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:57:35 AM

Would there be any problems running a sempron for a mining rig?

middlemarkal

Activity: 181

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:30:17 PM

NO

the CPU is not important

But I doubt that you will cool 3 cards from a closed case, any closed case. IMO  Roll Eyes

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:59:35 PM

NO

the CPU is not important

But I doubt that you will cool 3 cards from a closed case, any closed case. IMO  Roll Eyes

I was thinking the same, why have a case at all unless really needed. As far as I can see the ideal setup is cards on risers hanging above the MB with as much air inbetween as possible.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
endriuska

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:52:19 PM

i just got 3x7950 like you want to, im getting 580khs each and it's ok, so just to set your expectations this is what you will get, you can get more if you will be able to tune it.
pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:18:59 PM

If you look at pictures of the cases selected they are open air like the skeleton or like a milk crate (coolermaster haf), I'll lead the sides and top of the coolermaster. I'm going this route as it'll have everything I need to mount things securely and just easier. Too me it seems orthodox even tho others may think otherwise Smiley

I'm going to stick with the FM2 board and cpu, as I'm curious to see how the apu radeon goes. I understand it won't be anything great but just curious on his performance and will only help. Plus can always use it to drive a monitor/desktop without lagging while the other gpus are maxed out.

If I get a 2nd rig (which will be installed into the antec skeleton case) I'll go the sempron + 970 extreme 4 route. Thanks again for putting me onto the am3 board.

Thanks for the replies and I'll post back here my wins/losses with my build Smiley

Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:44:11 PM

Absolutely, if you prefer those cases - go for it  Grin

While thinking of it - I have been thinking of a solution that is a bit like the skeleton case. An open milk-crate or similar design with a kitchen-fan over it. The fan should suck air up and out and keep a continuous draft. This should be better than a box-fan since a box-fan just moves the air around in the same room.

I am hoping to make a setup in my basement(depends on my economy). If I can find a way to lay ducts up to the ground floor, I could have the warm air blown up during winter and straight out during summer.
Not sure how this might work out soundwise, but I do have a closet-thingy in the hallway with a connection to the living room for heat transfer as there used to be an oil-oven in the living room.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
mr.n00blar

Activity: 92

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:18:27 AM

Hi,

My 5600K stock gpu hashes away at ~1/6th of a 7950.. The CPU's are cheap and efficient. You're going to need enough ram to justify two DIMMs anyways. I don't see any reason to not buy an APU in all future builds.
pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 03:35:26 AM

Picked up the gear, built some of it then had to return back to work... could have brung it with me but where I park and the amount of boxes... too much Tongue

Looking at the case initial impressions are positive as far as being able to run 3 gpus, considering it says on the box its designed for tri-fire/tri-sli setups!

Also all the sides can be removed so its like a milk crate. With the psu sitting underneath the motherboard. Should be good, can't wait to knock off work and finish setting it up.

Then its time to configure cgminer etc. Will need to find a spare hdd tho Smiley or else could just run the os it off a 4-8gb usb stick [linux]? But the learning curve for that is higher than windows which is my bread and butter unlike linux which i only have a basic to intermediate understanding of it.

pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:44:57 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 03:14:07 AM by pengoau

bad news bears,

due to a combination of the design of the sapphire gpu's cooling, layout of the motherboard's pci-e slots and the case 3x7950 is not really possible.

Fortunately there was a problem with one of the GPUs so I was able to return it and get a refund.

Will just run it as a 2x7950 setup or a 2x7950 + 1x5770 (from my main PC) tho most likely will go with the former to ensure cards don't get cooked.

Next mining rig project will be a AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 270, Asrock 970 Extereme 4  Gigabyte GA 990FXA UD5 & Antec Skeleton case. And learning from this will just buy 2 GPUS initally and then a 3rd one if i find I can safely fit one.

Otherwise could always go something like this: http://www.cyclone.com/products/expansion_systems/index.php

Rishodi

Activity: 77

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 04:13:06 AM

Use a milk crate, or something similar, and PCI-e risers. It's a much cheaper and cooler solution than any case.

Bitrated user: Rishodi.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 11:43:26 AM

HDD Use existing supply
DVDRW None
PSU Corsair AX860I
Cost approx $1500.

I'm expecting a hash rate of anywhere from 1900 to 2100kh/sec for ltc mining. I base this off what others get with 7950 and well I can get 650-700/khash with my 6950 + 5770 in my main pc.

I'm thinking about building 2, one with the coolermaster case and another with the anetc. I like both cases as far as being used for a mining rig so max airflow/ventilation etc is paramount. The coolermaster reminds me of those milk crate mining rigs out there and well I like the anetc espeically with it having a fan to aid with airflow....

I've looked at AM3 and Intel and the above is what I been able to come up with for the cheapest price. Also the motherboard seems to have integrated graphics, so it shall be interesting if I can also use that in cgminer to mine with to add to the overall hashrate.

I've gone with the non vaporX sapphires due to space issues as their cooling from what I can tell will cause the card to take up 2.5 slots, whereas the non vaporx editions seem to just take up the standard 2 slots. With the spacing of the PCI-E slots on the asrock board I should hopefully be able to get away with running 3 GPUs.

The PSU is the most expensive as its the most critical other than the GPUs and has the required PCI-E connectors. I've found if I go a non platnium rated psu I lack a pair of PCI-e power plugs I need for the 3rd GPU. Granted I could run it off a molex adapter connected to the power used for peripherals but I'd prefer not to. Also the corsair comes with a 7 year warranty which is nice. Also being 80+ Plat rated is always good for the long term to try and keep down power costs as much as possible.

Looks good but I'd get a slightly more powerful PSU, to stay on the safe side, if you're planning to OC/overvolt. Next up should be 1000W, so you should be safe in they spike.
laris2

Activity: 688
Merit: 506

CryptoCurrency Evangelist

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2013, 07:50:55 AM

HDD Use existing supply
DVDRW None
PSU Corsair AX860I
Cost approx $1500.

Looks good but I'd get a slightly more powerful PSU, to stay on the safe side, if you're planning to OC/overvolt. Next up should be 1000W, so you should be safe in they spike.
Heck, those 860w would be plenty for 3 gpus they dont go over 190w when stock. but i'd rather go for a gold powersupply. Platinum ones are expensive :O

TEST
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:28:23 AM

HDD Use existing supply
DVDRW None
PSU Corsair AX860I
Cost approx $1500.

Heck, those 860w would be plenty for 3 gpus they dont go over 190w when stock. but i'd rather go for a gold powersupply. Platinum ones are expensive :O

If they did 700KH/s stock, I'd definitely not buy 7970... Wink
pengoau (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 09:15:42 PM

Yeah, just been reading and 650+ is 7970 territory Smiley

Just that my 6950+5770 rig does 630~Khash/sec so was hoping for one of my 7950s to do that...

For which with some tweaking and o/c  I can hit 580-600Khash/sec. With some further o/c I rekon I could hit 650, guess we will see.

After a few months and the miner turns a profit I plan to move the motherboard out and into my primary PC and have it run the 6950&5770. As it has a built in gpu via the amd APU I can leave the 6950/5770 mine 24/7 without it affecting the desktop as I use the onboard gfx.

The miner will get an upgrade via getting a gigabyte GA 990FXA UD5 board, which should allow an additional 7950 (or maybe I'll get a 7970 or 7990 lol) to be added. As it has nothing but PCI-E slots and lots of em, so should be able to lay out the gpus without sufficient room between each other.

Then the motherboard etc left over from my main pc will go into a 2nd dedicated miner but this time I'll get an antec skeleton case or maybe a skeleton mini, since the mobo can only run 2 GPUs. Might get another two 7970s or 7990, most likely 7970s as 7990 costs is stupid but would be nice and is a way to cheat at getting more gpus in.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: