Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:20:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you short cryptocurrencies?  (Read 11567 times)
CoinCodex

Activity: 314
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 11:46:10 PM

I have no idea how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can short cryptocurrencies on exchanges that allow trading with leverage. A good example is Bitmex exchange.

This basically allows you to make money when cryptocurrencies drop in value. You cant short all the coins but only specific coins and not all exchanges have this option.
bongiu

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 12:43:26 AM

If you mean selling in the short term and earning money out of that, then you should check out new promising tokens on exchanges
BossBee

Activity: 682
Merit: 540

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:03:50 AM

Stay away from margin trading until you know very very well what are you doing.

Forget that. The only way to learn is to get rekt several times over followed by the most epic win of you life then another flurry of wreckage. After that you'll be ready to margin trade properly

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion

▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄██████▄
 ▄█▀▀▀▀▀█▄      ▄███▀▀   ▀██
 ▀       ▀     ██▀
    ▄███▄          ▄█████▄
   ███████ █      █████████
           █
          █     █▄            ▄█
█▄       █      ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
 ███▄▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄███▀ ▀▀██████████
  ██ ██▄ ▀▀▄███▄    ▄▄▄██  ██
   ██ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▀▀▀  ██
    ██                ▄▄  ██
     ██  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀    ██
      ██    ███
       ██   ███
        ██   ███
Highly Secure
Instant Confirmations
Secure Wallet
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:46:10 AM

You can do it on Kraken and a few other exchanges, but watch the lending rates very carefully as they can eat up your profits quickly. Also, it's only enabled for higher volume coins--so if you wanted to short, say ICN, you wouldn't be able to do it.

LeverJ (ICO now or soon or something, I forget) is working on a decentralized market that allows leveraged trading, but it'll be a while before they or any of the other projects developing similar are live.
Bitcoinpower100

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:45:21 PM

So, No one really answered the OP question. What sites allow Margin/short trading(means bet against the market)
Trimzi

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:58:37 PM

I wouldn't advise you to stay away from margin trading. Just don't invest a large sum in the beginning.
After you gain experience do whatever you want, but be careful.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
criptogeek

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:03:27 PM

Binance offers margin trading.

As other users said, you have to study very carefull this kind of trading, since the loss can be very big.

I recomend you to look for how to build long/short portfolios, going long on some asset and short on other ones, hedging out market risk.

steplaza

Activity: 175

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:10:04 PM

Aren't the losses proportional to the amount shorted? Why can they be bigger than normal trading?
neinnein125

Activity: 475
Merit: 251

VTOS

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:12:04 PM

I am not expert trader so I short when I feel like coin won't recover, I don't if I trust coin with my heart, its not rational i know but markets aren't rational at all, all moves are somewhat emotional.

▄█████████████████████▄
  ▄
█████████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████████▄
▀█████████████████████████████▀
 ▀████
███████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████████▀
    ███████████████████████
     ████
█████████████████
      ████
██████████████
       █████████████████
        ███████████████
         ▀███████████▀
          ▀█████████▀
V T O S      ███
      ▀▀▀

▄▀  ▄▄▄
   ▀    ███
███
     ▄ ▄
▀▀▀ ▄  ▐▌ ▐▌
     ███   █
    ▄▀▀▀▄  ▐▌
   █ █   ▀ ▄▄▄
  ▀   █    ███
 ███
   █  ▄
 ▀▀▀ ▄  ▄▄▄
      ▀ ███
      ███
      ▀▀▀

▄▀  ▄▄▄
   ▀    ███
███
     ▄ ▄
▀▀▀ ▄  ▐▌ ▐▌
     ███   █
    ▄▀▀▀▄  ▐▌
   █ █   ▀ ▄▄▄
  ▀   █    ███
 ███
   █  ▄
 ▀▀▀ ▄  ▄▄▄
      ▀ ███
⚫ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ⚫
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
MEDIUM    TWITTER     GITHUB

⚫ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ⚫
      ███
      ▀▀▀

▄▀  ▄▄▄
   ▀    ███
███
     ▄ ▄
▀▀▀ ▄  ▐▌ ▐▌
     ███   █
    ▄▀▀▀▄  ▐▌
   █ █   ▀ ▄▄▄
  ▀   █    ███
 ███
   █  ▄
 ▀▀▀ ▄  ▄▄▄
      ▀ ███
sunX3

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2018, 01:22:08 PM

How? CarefullyGrin
joann15

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 09:22:18 AM

Short on margin trading? It is really risky the result is 0% or 100% only. Try to study it first, do some search before doing it.

_ATOmix_

Activity: 110
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 10:02:13 AM

Binance offers margin trading.

As other users said, you have to study very carefull this kind of trading, since the loss can be very big.

I recomend you to look for how to build long/short portfolios, going long on some asset and short on other ones, hedging out market risk.

Binance offers margin trading? On other pairs than BTC/USD? I don't think so.
LUGHUL

Activity: 387
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2019, 11:33:46 AM

Maybe you mean taking short-term profits in cryptocurrency? If yes, then you just need to wait for good news to come to cryptocurrency, and when the news arrives you must immediately buy crypto and sell it when prices start to rise.

▼ mindsync.ai ▼
 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
△ Join now △
goolesby

Activity: 574

Gistcoin

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 11:58:45 AM

If you mean to sort, so far I only use the coinmarketcap as the guidance of the market price and coin analysis. However, I think that we can also see the progress of the crypto on each exchange, seeing whether they have bigger volume and higher cycle n the market.

RasenShuriken

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 12:02:38 PM

Source here: https://hackernoon.com/shorting-crypto-6165b4c49321
How to Short Sell
In Theory
Here’s how short selling works. Let’s say the price of Bitcoin is $10,000 per BTC. You believe the BTC market is going to crash any day now. You borrow 1 BTC from your friend and sell it immediately, thus owing your friend 1 BTC. One week later the BTC market crashes, to $10 per BTC. So you buy 1 BTC for $10 and pay back the debt to your friend, thus you just profited the difference: $9,990. You just “sold it short”.

In Practice
Most likely you would struggle to find a friend that would allow you to borrow a Bitcoin, and be paid in exactly the same amount of Bitcoin. Here are some examples of short selling, ordered in increasing level of investment strategy complexity.

Betting
Whether it is through a smart contract, an escrow, or with a friend, you could bet someone that the price of a cryptocurrency will crash. This is probably the simplest way of short selling a cryptocurrency.

Prediction Markets
Prediction markets are very similar to gambling or betting, in that you predict what the price of a cryptocurrency will be, and if you are correct within a certain margin you will receive money for it.
raven7886
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1041

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 08:23:59 PM

Everyone already talked about how you can open an account on bitmex and deposit money there and on margin trading select the short option and hope that bitcoin goes low. But nobody talks about how shorting crypto currencies is the root of all this bear market we are in.

Everybody felt like putting money into bitcoin was a hassle and to keep trying to get that 20 thousand dollar into 30 thousand dollars was a tough task whereas shorting bitcoin is much more easier because it requires no capital to just "sell" bitcoin since it would also give you money while at it instead of requiring money like buying and trying to keep it up. Hence, all whales focused on shorting which caused all of this bear market to begin with. Look at the bitmex historical data, they started on the short options around the same time of the bear market starting.
gowobonyok

Activity: 490
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 01:08:48 AM

if you want to start and don't have a lot of money to buy and invest, then start from the bounty campaign and airdrop campaign.
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 07:18:12 AM

The only way to short crypto currencies is by margin trading. However, margin trading come with higher risk. Your trade will get closed when the rate go to certain level against you.
oemar bakrie

Activity: 1260
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 07:30:20 AM

For me crypto is like a spinning wheel when it is at the top it is sometimes also under ...
So from that know crypto don't just know at the time above but when the price starts to be under our own should try to return it to be above again..

FXBOX    [TelegramTwitter ]  ▞  GAMEFI  ◼  NFT  ◼  DEFI  ◼  CURRENCY TRADING
██████████████████  PLAY 2 EARN FINANCIAL GAMES  ██████████████████
INVESTINGTRADINGLOTTERYMARKET PREDICTIONS     ◖ READ MORE
rachman mahesa

Activity: 966
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 07:57:48 AM

For me crypto is like a spinning wheel when it is at the top it is sometimes also under ...
So from that know crypto don't just know at the time above but when the price starts to be under our own should try to return it to be above again..
That's how friend crypto nets are, In crypto actually anything can happen. With watuk 1 second everything can change dramatically in crypto. With that, I like crypto. Because crypto is truly extraordinary and unique.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: