Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:19:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 1070 improvement  (Read 5583 times)
Zuop (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 10:38:40 PM

Hey folks,

there is a Guide that says "28mh using only 90 watts" with a GTX 1070. Can anyone confirm this? I have a GTX 1070 running and it consumes ~150W (=max it can do on stock) at a rate of ~26MH/s for ether. I wonder how you can get a higher hashrate and actually use LESS power?

Is there anyone who can provide some tipps about this?

Cheers Zuop

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
_javi_

Activity: 968
Merit: 624

Still a manic miner

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 10:43:09 PM

same here... 26 mhs at 80 tdp (120w or so) on a 1070 gigabyte g1

i gave up on optimizations for eth
minerx117

Activity: 728
Merit: 256

NemosMiner-v3.8.1.3

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 11:30:40 PM

Hey folks,

there is a Guide that says "28mh using only 90 watts" with a GTX 1070. Can anyone confirm this? I have a GTX 1070 running and it consumes ~150W (=max it can do on stock) at a rate of ~26MH/s for ether. I wonder how you can get a higher hashrate and actually use LESS power?

Is there anyone who can provide some tipps about this?

Cheers Zuop

yeh i can confirm it..
i have done it before as ether is memory hungry you achieve it like this:

core clock -200mhz (or as low as your software allows)
memory +1200mhz (note not all 1070's can achieve this my g1 Gaming with samsung can tho)
tdp @60% (i think was a while ago since i used my 10x for eth mite even be tdp @55%)

Best Regards  (note even with default settings if you push the memory to +1200mhz you can achieve (30-32mhs)but thats @150-180watt..) 28mhs@90watt is better !
#Nemo

NemosMiner-v3.8.1.3
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 11:57:16 PM

It also depends a lot on the brand of the memory on your specific 1070 - some just works better, which is critical for a memory-hard algo like ETH uses.

I've NEVER seen a 1070 that could manage +1200 in afterburner (but I don't think any of the 1070 I have use Samsung - even my Gigabytes)
 With that said, bumping memory clock up as far as you can with reliability, bump power limit way down, and bump core clock down is the way to go on tweeking a 1070 for best ETH mining efficiency.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Zuop (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 01:26:01 AM

Hey Nemo &QuintLeo

thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I have to invalidate my 150W statement, I just realized there is a power monitoring in afterburner.

I tweeked around a bit and made some observations:
* Reducing the Core Clock can lead to "unstable" graph, could this damage the card when used over a long time?
(almost got a heartattack at this point because as I wrote it I got black rectangles all over the monitor Cheesy )
* Increasing Memory Clock results in a higher hashrate by higher power consumption
* Reducing Power Limit can limit and decrease the hashrate

I have my PC plugged in into a power analyzer. Everytime I change the Power Limit for 5%, the power analyzer changes for about 9W but afterburner just changes about 3-4W. I don't know which to trust more Cheesy

Also if I set the Power Limit to 60% it doesn't really matter what I change on Core and Memory Clock, it feels like the hashrate is capped by the 60%. If I set it to 65% with same clocks the hashrate increases.

I played around for about 3 hours now, but I still didn't find my best suitable settings, I have roughly ~28Mh/s @85-90W now Cheesy

I tried with under 60% Power Limit, -200 Core clock and increasing Memory Clock but this somehow just got me around 25Mh/s. After a while with MemClock on +650 I got graphic issues so I'm not comfortable with this at the moment.

Settings / Miner

Cheers, Zuop
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 03:09:07 AM

Always trust the "at the wall" measurements made with a real power meter over any software solution.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
MA3A

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2017, 04:50:35 AM

i find 1070 being very touchy about temps...dont see anything like this with 1080ti

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
Zuop (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 08:12:02 AM

The measurements at the wall shows ~160W for the whole PC with Monitor turned off.

I'm still interested if someone wants to talk about GTX 1070 (or nvidia) settings to get the most profitable setting Smiley
Vaccinus

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 08:21:42 AM

Always trust the "at the wall" measurements made with a real power meter over any software solution.

i also thinking that in the past, but the last software for temp monitoring is really good, they improved a lot, you have nvidia with smi which is not so far away from telling you the true wattage, maybe 5% off, and the corsair link also is very precise, they are more comfortable than wattmeter

Kompik

Activity: 463

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 12:07:36 PM

Most 1070 can do over 31 MH/s @95W at the wall. But mininig eth with 1070 is lost cause anyways.

Bitrated user: Kompik.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 09:08:28 PM

i find 1070 being very touchy about temps...dont see anything like this with 1080ti

That's why you bump up the fan profile - ALL recent video cards prioritise "quiet" over "cool", with the early EVGA 1070 models being a POINTED example in going way too far that direction to the point they were having some of them fail due to overheating BECAUSE the fan profile had the fans running so slow they couldn't respond to load spikes fast enough.

1080ti tend to have better fan profiles to start with because the makers *KNOW* they are going to generate a lot more heat so they bumped the fan speeds up a lot higher to start with than on a 1070 - and if you pay attention you will note that most makers have the SAME cooling solution available on their 1070 models as on their 1080 and 1080ti solutions, except for some of the LOW END 1070 models with cooling solutions that can't handle a 1080Ti at all.

IMO any miner that doesn't have the fans on his GPUs running at 90% or more by the time the card gets to 80C (and preferably 70-75) is DEMANDING to have their card overheat and die.

As far as "most 1070 can do over 31Mh/s" - I call BULLSHIT on that one, NONE of mine have ever managed more than 30 no matter HOW HARD I pushed clocks, even at 180 watts much less 95.
 ETH depends WAY too much on low memory latency, and that VARIES WIDELY depending on the brand and sometimes the specific chips of the memory in a card.

Mining ETH on a 1070 isn't a lost cause.
 It IS still very profitable, much more so since the recent ETH price runup, just LESS so than other options.

NVidia-SMI is nice, but I've seen it get confused and "off" often enough that I don't trust it to be entirely correct.

Zuop (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 10:45:33 PM

Besides that I already had the 1070 for gaming purposes, I think the 1070 is great for mining if you're paying more for electricity than most miners because of the low power consumption. The high initial buying price for a 1070 should not be THAT relevant if you mine long enough is it..
Bakes007

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 06:33:31 AM

Hi Guys

Need Some help please

I have a Question which I have been Trying to Figure out but cant get the calculations right!

The Rates seem to be all over the place and some saying the 1080 is worse then the 1070 for mining?

6 x GTX 1060 3Gb or
4 x GTX 1070 8GB (500$ More then 1060) or
3 x GTX 1080 8GB (150$ more then 1070)

Thank for the Help in Advance
sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 02:03:17 PM

Mining zcash:

1. 275*6 = 1650 sol/s ($22.34 per day)
2. 430*4 = 1740 sol/s ($23.56 per day)
3. 3*500 = 1500 sol/s ($20.31 per day)

The rates vary from coin to coin. The 1080 is bether in siacoin and decred.
Most ppl have the gtx 1070 so the code is normally optimized for the gtx 1070, but the best bang for the buck is the gtx 1060 3gb with private kernels.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 12:33:34 AM

Best bang for the buck has to take in the total system cost though, not just the cost of the cards themselves.

That's where the 1060 takes a noticeable hit - it's efficient on a "per card" basis, but the total system cost to hit a given hashrate needs quite a few more systems so the "per card" basis ADDING IN THE ADDITIONAL SYSTEM COSTS gets a lot closer.

It might still be "the most efficient" overall but it's not going to be by a huge margin if so, unlike if you only count the cost of the card itself where it is pretty dominant on ZEC vs the 1070/1080/1080ti.

You also left out the 1060 6gb - which has been reported over 300 sol/s with EBWF but doesn't cost a lot more than the 1060 3GB models.

to Bakes007 - the rates vary some on ZEC mining because the cards themselves vary (FE cards might be an exception among themselves).
 There is no such thing as "any 1070 can do any specific speed at any specific wattage used" because of variations in how the third parties build the cards, and the parts they use, ESPECIALLY MEMORY.
 For a specific example, my Gigabyte 1070 full-length cards (180 watt TDP) have "stock" clocks noticeably higher than my EVGA 1070s (all long card, 155 watt TDP) or my Gigabyte "ITX" short 1070s (155 watt TDP), and seem to cool better, so they can be pushed up to 430 sol/s fairly easily where the EVGA cards and the ITX Gigabytes have to push hard to get much over 400 sol/s - this is in systems where the rest of the system is IDENTICAL (in fairness, the ITX cards always get inflicted with a PCI-E 2.0 "16x" slot that only has "4x" lanes wired to it, but for most cryptocoin mining that's NOT an issue or "riser rigs" wouldn't be so common or work worth beans).

Memory brand also has an effect, as some brands will let you clock the memory a LOT higher than others (more of an issue mining ETH but it's noticeable on ZEC).

My only 1080 is also a long-card Gigabyte, and can push 500 sol/s pretty easily. Tradeoff is the cost - $489 for that one ($499 for the second one I just bought) vs $379 or $389 for any of my 1070 cards.
 When you factor in the cost of the total number of SYSTEMS and the total SYSTEM cost, the 1070 and 1080 get a lot closer on hash/$.

I too have noticed the efficiency of the different cards changes from one coin to the next - the 1080 I have can do quite a bit over 600 MHhash/s on Skein, the 1070 Gigabytes might manage 500 or so and have to push harder to get there, which on a raw card basis gives the 1080 slightly better hash/$ and even more so at the system level.
 On ETH, though, the 1070 Gigabytes and 1080 Gigabyte have almost identical performance near 30 MH/s, indicating that the extra cores on the 1080 are barely enough to overcome the higher latency of the GDDRX 5 memory on the 1080 (even though the memory speed is HIGHER, the latency is worse which is a MAJOR issue on ETH) - and the EVGA cards only lose 0.5 MH/s at most to the long Gigabytes despite the almost 10% lower core clock on the EVGAs.

The reason AMD is dominating on ETH is that you can match the performance of a GTX 1070 almost identically with a minor BIOS mod on the 480 (there are no tools for BIOS modding a NVidia 1070, other than trying to flash the card with a BIOS from a different model 1070) on hashrate and VERY close on power, while paying ('till the last week or so) a bit over HALF THE PRICE for the card.
 Even bone stock, my pair of Sapphire RX 470 will manage 22 Mh/s on ETH - and only cost me about $170 each new from Newegg (I got them to match the deal on their own EBay site under their price match guarentee but they would have still only been $183 or so otherwise WITH shipping) - which makes them a TON more efficient on a Hash/$ basis than any GTX 1070 has ever been.

Bakes007

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 12:07:29 PM

Thank you so much

That helped me alot!

I would love to get Radeon but they are sold out in the entire country (South Africa) With some company's having back orders of 100 Cards!

So Zcash and GTX is the only way for now to start mining Altcoin.

I'm going to go for the 4 x GTX 1070 8GB

Although the 6 X GTX 1060's are much cheaper and the $ per day are not much less, I fell like the Card is getting old now adn im going to add 2 more 1070's in the Future.

BakesBTC
Kompik

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 05:36:41 PM

That's why you bump up the fan profile - ALL recent video cards prioritise "quiet" over "cool", with the early EVGA 1070 models being a POINTED example in going way too far that direction to the point they were having some of them fail due to overheating BECAUSE the fan profile had the fans running so slow they couldn't respond to load spikes fast enough.

1080ti tend to have better fan profiles to start with because the makers *KNOW* they are going to generate a lot more heat so they bumped the fan speeds up a lot higher to start with than on a 1070 - and if you pay attention you will note that most makers have the SAME cooling solution available on their 1070 models as on their 1080 and 1080ti solutions, except for some of the LOW END 1070 models with cooling solutions that can't handle a 1080Ti at all.

IMO any miner that doesn't have the fans on his GPUs running at 90% or more by the time the card gets to 80C (and preferably 70-75) is DEMANDING to have their card overheat and die.

As far as "most 1070 can do over 31Mh/s" - I call BULLSHIT on that one, NONE of mine have ever managed more than 30 no matter HOW HARD I pushed clocks, even at 180 watts much less 95.
 ETH depends WAY too much on low memory latency, and that VARIES WIDELY depending on the brand and sometimes the specific chips of the memory in a card.

It IS still very profitable, much more so since the recent ETH price runup, just LESS so than other options.

NVidia-SMI is nice, but I've seen it get confused and "off" often enough that I don't trust it to be entirely correct.

Ok so I dont mine ETH, but i switched and setup my cards just for you. Here is the screenshot of my 7x1070 rig. And please do not talk bullshit to people just because of your extremely low knowledge of the nvidia cards ( judging from your previous posts where you are lost tbh). Just for your knowledge rising TDP will not give you any more MH/s in eth.
http://imgur.com/a/oX9Wl

Oh and one more thing, calculating profitability of nvidia cards based on zcash or eth is wrong. Every day you mine zcash or eth or any other default coin on what to mine you are loosing your ROI to AMD cards.

tflux99

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:13:45 PM

Ok so I dont mine ETH, but i switched and setup my cards just for you. Here is the screenshot of my 7x1070 rig. And please do not talk bullshit to people just because of your extremely low knowledge of the nvidia cards ( judging from your previous posts where you are lost tbh). Just for your knowledge rising TDP will not give you any more MH/s in eth.

Oh and one more thing, calculating profitability of nvidia cards based on zcash or eth is wrong. Every day you mine zcash or eth or any other default coin on what to mine you are loosing your ROI to AMD cards.

lol your screenshot is funny 1 minute of mining if i try that i can get 34 mhs out of the 1070 but after 20 seconds it crashes i bet your system will freeze after some time wahts your clock speeds and undervolting settingsyou do that at 950mv @ 2100 mhz ~ 4400 mhz ram more than 29 is not stable 4 me sry 4 my bad english hehe

▶▶ UR TOKEN ◀◀
═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══
ⓄⓄ UNIVERSAL RECOGNITION TOKEN  ⓄⓄ

【 The first blockchain-based corporate rewards marketplace 】
══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━══
Kompik

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:24:10 PM

lol your screenshot is funny 1 minute of mining if i try that i can get 34 mhs out of the 1070 but after 20 seconds it crashes i bet your system will freeze after some time wahts your clock speeds and undervolting settingsyou do that at 950mv @ 2100 mhz ~ 4400 mhz ram more than 29 is not stable 4 me sry 4 my bad english hehe

These settings are stable and can run days. I wont mine eth for one day just to show you a screenshot sorry. As I have said earlier you do not want to mine eth with nvidia Smiley

Also please show me a screenshot of 1070 doing 34, even for a second! Thanks! Smiley

jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 06:37:26 PM

These settings are stable and can run days. I wont mine eth for one day just to show you a screenshot sorry. As I have said earlier you do not want to mine eth with nvidia Smiley

Also please show me a screenshot of 1070 doing 34, even for a second! Thanks! Smiley

Quite nice Results, what Kind of Cards are that?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: