Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:39:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Cooling for the S9  (Read 843 times)
UnknownTechGuy (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 03:45:25 PM

So, as a typical idiot that wanted to get and understand the mining business, I just researched a few, invested and figured I would learn things along the way which make things always interesting. So, my Antminer S9 14Ths arrives on monday, my plan was to put it on an empty spare room at home. But I keep hearing the complaints about

1) Sound, if it's closed it will still be too loud? If yes, I'm assuming people have tried methods of soundproofing?

2) Cooling it. I have no working AC on it, so now I'm struggling on how to properly cooling without bursting in flames or drown in oil. I'm open to any suggestions, I would really prefer if I could keep it in the room since I live in an apartment, and no garage, etc... When people talk about mineral oil etc, I have no idea what they're doing to be honest, I'm still researching about that but seems to be the most common way of cooling so far, looking for something that is simple even if it may not be the most profitable.

Thanks a lot for the time.

B. Rgrds

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hockeybum

Activity: 113
Merit: 31

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 05:44:17 PM

1) I have one S9 in my basement venting outside, the rest are in other garages.  So I can't speak much for the sound, I can just tell you that the hotter they get, the more sound you will hear.  The startup sound is extremely loud, but it will slow down once startup checks are done.

2)  If you put it in a room you will definitely want to vent it outside; running an air conditioner to cool is like running an additional miner because of the additional electricity costs, so you have to keep that mind.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2535

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 12:39:46 AM

When people talk about mineral oil etc, I have no idea what they're doing to be honest, I'm still researching about that but seems to be the most common way of cooling so far,

If talking about oil they are talking about submersion in a tank of oil which is pumped to outside heat exchanger.

In short - it is NOT most common way and for a good reason: mineral oil per-se is a horrible (but cheap) thermal transfer fluid. Been discussed to death here, just search a bit on the topic.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 07:42:41 AM

The s9 and T9 are extremely loud. They are good in a data center or basement . Because bitmain has an auto tuning firmware on the current miners, you can't lower fan speed or frequency. I have an s9 early batch before auto tune and so I have lowered the fan speed to 50 percent and lowered the frequency so that it hashes at 10.5 TH. A lot quieter.

If you wanted to try out mining I think the s5 would have been a better choice. Less noise and heat.
italianMiner72

Activity: 910
Merit: 511

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 08:07:06 PM

So, as a typical idiot that wanted to get and understand the mining business, I just researched a few, invested and figured I would learn things along the way which make things always interesting. So, my Antminer S9 14Ths arrives on monday, my plan was to put it on an empty spare room at home. But I keep hearing the complaints about

1) Sound, if it's closed it will still be too loud? If yes, I'm assuming people have tried methods of soundproofing?

2) Cooling it. I have no working AC on it, so now I'm struggling on how to properly cooling without bursting in flames or drown in oil. I'm open to any suggestions, I would really prefer if I could keep it in the room since I live in an apartment, and no garage, etc... When people talk about mineral oil etc, I have no idea what they're doing to be honest, I'm still researching about that but seems to be the most common way of cooling so far, looking for something that is simple even if it may not be the most profitable.

Thanks a lot for the time.

B. Rgrds

i give you some magic words:
3M™ Novec™ 7100 Engineered Fluid...
with this, you will find a lots of docs...
Meanwhile you will think :"I need it! I want it!"
but at the end, you will not use it because too expensive!

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: