Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:50:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining farm in south america  (Read 655 times)
baby222 (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 01:12:49 PM

Hello everyone,

So after beening on vacation in a few south american countries making new friends thanks to bitcoin, i got a few propositions from a few people into
setting up a mining farm the biggest + to this the farm will get a 50% off what ever electricity cost would be.

My biggest question is should i fully setup for bitcoin or should i do 50/50 btc and an altcoin like ETH.

feel free to voice your opinion or view i would really appreciated.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3417

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2017, 05:28:53 PM

So after beening on vacation in a few south american countries making new friends thanks to bitcoin, i got a few propositions from a few people into
setting up a mining farm the biggest + to this the farm will get a 50% off what ever electricity cost would be.
Do you know the exact electricity rate (at 50% off)? Can give a better idea if it would be worth the trouble.

My biggest question is should i fully setup for bitcoin or should i do 50/50 btc and an altcoin like ETH.
Knowing how much your exact budget is, it's quite important. If you happen to be a whale (a lot of funds), go with full BTCitcoin setup but if you happen to have only few thousand dollars, then go with full altcoin setup. Around 40k-50k, go with both at 50/50.

Take note: Every single person, thinks differently so my preferences might differ with others. Always do the calculations and go with the most estimated profitable option.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
baby222 (OP)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 05:31:39 PM

Do you know the exact electricity rate (at 50% off)? Can give a better idea if it would be worth the trouble.

Knowing how much your exact budget is, it's quite important. If you happen to be a whale (a lot of funds), go with full BTCitcoin setup but if you happen to have only few thousand dollars, then go with full altcoin setup. Around 40k-50k, go with both at 50/50.

Take note: Every single person, thinks differently so my preferences might differ with others. Always do the calculations and go with the most estimated profitable option.

Hey SRF10 thanks for the reply, the rate is 14cents -the 50% off about 7 cents kwh pretty much, the investor has about 100k to invest into the intial setup.
Nagadota

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

ClaimWithMe - the most paying faucet of all times!

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 05:56:42 PM

Hey SRF10 thanks for the reply, the rate is 14cents -the 50% off about 7 cents kwh pretty much, the investor has about 100k to invest into the intial setup.
Well your difference is that Bitcoin mining revenues are more stable than specific altcoins tend to be, especially ones like ETH which have increased by over 1000% in the last couple of months.  These altcoins' difficulties tend to catch up with their price after a little while and the ETH mining revenues will naturally decrease as more miners get involved.

However, you do have an option to exploit these discrepancies - just mine whatever coin is the most profitable at the time.  It's not necessarily very easy, but you can use the service Nicehash, which will pay out in Bitcoin and therefore protect against/exploit the volatility of different altcoins.

With that much money however, it could also be very profitable using Bitcoin miners in bulk.

If I were you, I'd do about 80-20 Bitcoin and altcoin mining, respectively.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 10:23:11 PM

Don't bother trying to mine Bitcoin at all.
 7 cents/ kwh is too high for a large farm - and the 14 cents of the "base" rate is TOTALLY out of the question for a major ASIC-based farm.

At that cost of electric, you would want to go 100% GPU rigs or a mix of GPU and Baikal and possibly some Bitmain L3+ as the profitability of the S9 would be VERY VERY marginal after a few months (any other Bitcoin miner model is even worse) with a fairly high risk of never achieving ROI much less any sort of a profit at 7 c / KWH electric cost (14c is OUT OF THE QUESTION) - and even the mix I suggest would be somewhat iffy on ROI achievement, but would at least have a fairly good CHANCE at it.

EVERY major Bitcoin-specific major farm I am aware of is in an area where their cost of electricity is LESS than 4c / KWH, and MOST of them are paying less than 3.

Information on non-Bitcoin-specific major farms is a lot harder to find, but the few I am aware of are ALL in 3c /KWH or less areas - on the other hand, altcoin mining has a lot more leeway AT THIS TIME vs cost of electric than Bitcoin mining itself does, and GPUs don't go worthless just because they can't mine at a profit any more nearly as quickly as ASIC do.

Yes, I'm aware that the efficiency of the R4 is nearly identical to the S9, but it COSTS more per TH to start with meaning it is harder to achieve ROI on.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: