Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 02:02:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic questions about ETH wallet  (Read 354 times)
Bopy (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Hello, can please someone answer me on those basic questions about ETH wallet:

1. If i make ETH wallet at myetherwallet.com, i make password, download keystore file and private key.
What if i lose this keystore file, can i still receive/send ETH in with that wallet? Do i still own that ETH?
In other words, can i do everything without that keystore file?

2.What, if someone stole me that keystore file? can he also stole my ETH's then, even if he doesnt have my password?

3. What if i lose private key and have keystore file? Can i still receive/send ETH in with that wallet? Do i still own that ETH?
In other words, can i do everything without that private key ?

4. 2.What, if someone stole me that private key? can he also stole my ETH's then, even if he doesnt have my password?

5. What if someone has my private key, and keystore file (but doesnt have password)?

Thanks in advance Smiley
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 10:07:08 PM

The keystore file contains encrypted private keys.

1. No. You need the contents of the keystore file
2. No, they will need the password as well (but they can try to guess it if it is a weak password)
3. The keystore consists of the private key as well as some other metadata. If you have the keystore file and password, you have the private key.
4. If they somehow get your unencrypted private key, then yes
5. See 2, 3, and 4.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: