Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:39:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC lending on Poloniex  (Read 1705 times)
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:03:59 PM

I had a few bitcoins lending out through Poloniex BTC lending (have been doing this for a while and generated steady growth). However, this morning I noticed that all "My active loans" were suddenly empty and that my overall balance had dropped about 30%.

I downloaded the Lending History, but it did not show anything strange. Only the loans that ended regularly and generated the remaining BTC in balance.

I thought, either somehow those BTC are still active loans, but not showing or I just lost 30% of those coins because a number of lenders were not able to repay?

UPDATE:
Uf, it's sorted out (my stupid error in administration  Embarrassed ). Thanks for the help everybody and sorry for the confusion. It is also a reminder for me that when participating in lending/margin trade it is good to keep a very close eye on in and outgoing transfers. The information that you can gather afterwards is limited. Yet another crypto lesson learnt.

I want to mention that there was NO error of Poloniex or system glitch (what I suspected at first). No blame there.

I'm glad to see the UPDATE because it would be really sad if thinghs like you described were happening on Poloniex. Also it's good to see you haven't lost anything.
BitWhale

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:13:20 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2017, 07:35:27 PM by BitWhale

It's kind of weird to me the people saying if you lend on Poloniex you need 3x collatoral.

It doesn't work like that on Polo/bitfinex, you lend funds which people use to open margin trades (a trade that is separate from an exchange trade, it can only be opened or closed, you can't withdraw the funds involved in this trade until the trade is closed and the loaned btc for margin trading has moved back to the lender). Your trust is not in the actual trader/user but instead in the exchanges lending liquidation system & security practices.

I'm not going to lie, if I was going to lend I'd do it on an exchange. It's much different than loaning to rando's on the forum.

Loaning to randos on the forum = suicide

loaning to unregulated exchange users and trusting the exchange with your money = self mutilation (you must enjoy pain to proceed)

Either way you'll never see me participating Tongue I don't care how good the interest is. The risk to reward doesn't make sense...

Typical btc loan is about 0.05% to 0.1% a day, during bubbles like now it tends to go higher (currently @ 0.08%. Let's just make it simple and go with 0.1% a year annualized, which is around 36.5% profit a year if you don't miss a single day).

Is it worth it to you to risk 1 btc with a decent probability of losing it within 1 year to exchange risk (shuts down, exit scam, hack, personal account hacked etc etc) for 0.365 btc at the end?

For me, it's not. Everyone is different though.

PS - yes 36.5% is a dreamy return in the traditional market. You don't have to take insane amounts of risk to receive interest in a traditional market, in fact most bonds are federally insured meaning the risk is basically non-existant unless you feel the government is about to fail. So comparing  government/corporate issued bonds/stocks to a unregulated altcoin exchange is a mute point. Their profiles are completely different.

If your exchange fails, you will be stuck making claims in courts and by the time it all comes together the owner of said exchange will be livin the life sippin' martini's and snorting coke in Belize with 3 hookers around them, all on your dime.

aesma

Activity: 2436
Merit: 921

fly or die

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 11:48:18 PM

So what was the error anyway ?
abubakrrali

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 08:31:28 AM

if I don't understand the loaning principle in poloniex then these loans should be under some other category at least, "defaulted" or "expired" etc... I don't think they just disappear even if paid in full or defaulted. Did you contact poloniex support and asked about the situation?
brobbel

Activity: 966
Merit: 342

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 10:35:24 AM

if I don't understand the loaning principle in poloniex then these loans should be under some other category at least, "defaulted" or "expired" etc... I don't think they just disappear even if paid in full or defaulted. Did you contact poloniex support and asked about the situation?

Did you read the update? Did you read the topic?
amaral1977

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 11:14:39 PM

Do you mean people on poloniex is loaning BTC and run away with? If polo offers lending service, they must also block the funds that no one can run away with funds....
Or am i wrong  Shocked Huh

You can only get the funds if you have the same amount as colateral on your own account. The funds are frozen until you repay. This not exactly P2P loans as BTCJAM. The risk is a default buy the exchange itself. not individual runners.

██████████ 
        ██████████████████ 
      ██████████▌▐██████████ 
    ██████ ████▌  ▐████ ██████ 
   ██████  ▐██▀    ▀██▌  ██████ 
  ██████  ▌ █▄▄█  █▄▄█ ▐  ██████ 
 ██████▌ ▐██████  ██████▌ ▐██████ 
 ██████  ███████  ███████  ██████ 
 █████▌  ██▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀██  ▐█████ 
 █████                      █████ 
  █████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████▄▄▄▄▄█████ 
   ████████████▌  ▐████████████