Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:56:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Vs Large number of transactions in a block  (Read 376 times)
bassride (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Hi all,

from everything I've learnt about Bitcoin so far, the word 'genius' spring to mind  !!  Smiley

One thing I'm trying to work out about mining blocks.  As I understand it, new Bitcoins (currently 25) are issued to a miner who sucessfully 'cracks' a block and adds it to the Block Chain.  Is it possible for miners to mine blocks with say for example, only one transaction in it ?   Is it not therefore more worthwhile for a miner to verify a block containing only one transaction every time?   I would have thought that finding the correct hash with 1 TX would take much less time than one with 1000.  I know that they also receive the total of transaction fees contained within the block, but I would have thought that regularly cracking small blocks and receiving the fresh coins would be more profitable !

thanks,

D
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:00:12 PM

Is it possible for miners to mine blocks with say for example, only one transaction in it ?

Yes.

Is it not therefore more worthwhile for a miner to verify a block containing only one transaction every time?

What would be the benefit?  Miners get all the transaction fees from all the transactions that they choose to include in the blocks they work on.  Why would a miner choose not to have those fees?

I would have thought that finding the correct hash with 1 TX would take much less time than one with 1000.

The miner only has to hash the block header.  The size of the block header doesn't change.  It doesn't matter if there is only one transaction, or if there are 3,000 transactions the block header doesn't take any longer to hash.

It might take a few microseconds longer to build the Merkle Tree to supply the Merkle Root when building the header, but this time is such a small piece of the time spent solving a block that it doesn't really come into play much in the decision.

I know that they also receive the total of transaction fees contained within the block, but I would have thought that regularly cracking small blocks and receiving the fresh coins would be more profitable !

The protocol is designed to adjust the difficulty on a regular basis to keep the average time to create a block as close to 10 minutes as possible.  Even if miners could increase the rate at which they found blocks by including less transactions, the difficulty would adjust, and they'd be right back at an average of 10 minutes per block.  So they wouldn't get the block reward any more often.
bassride (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:59:01 AM

Thanks 'DannyHamilton'

up until now I'd assumed that the difficulty in cracking the block was related to the length of all the transaction data lumped together.  so of course it makes sense to include larger numbers with transaction fees.

My journey into learning this breakthrough technology continues  Smiley

bassride ..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: